Blink 182, Lostprophets and Paramore

Guest zeppelin

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact is I made a comment about a band I despise (slightly tounge in cheek it should be added) that I think they would be out of place playing second at Reading and Leeds - they are produced by the guy that masterminded Paris Hilton's music carear for heavens sake. I also made (again slightly tounge in cheek) the opinion that Paramore are listened to mainly by young teenage girls, rightly or wrongly because the only people I know who like them are young teenage girls! I'm sure all types like their music but that is just my personal experience.

As for the other thread, you seem to have the opinion that Reading and Leeds is some kind of shapeshifting monster that will feature any old lineup as long as can sell tickets. I have no doubt that Limp Bizkit, Paramore, Korn and Guns N Roses could sell out 80,000 tickets but that isn't the type of festival Reading is. It always has bands that are very of the moment, and I do not think those bands are popular enough with Reading's current audience or sponsers so they bookers would not book them. It is an opinion, I am not claiming to be some Golden God.

No, JLS are also popular today but they couldn't play second at Reading either. Maybe Paramore are the right sort of band to play second at Reading, maybe I'm that out of touch. I supppose we will find out soon enough.

Those bands are still very credible with the young audience but Limp Bizkit and Guns n Roses seem to get slated most of the time, their type of music isn't strongly represented at the festival anymore (hair/nu metal) whereas the other genres are.

I wouldnt be surprised if Paramore either played maybe 3rd or 4th on the main stage on the Firday or Sunday or played high up or headlining on another stage.

It is common sense based on previous years lineup based on similarities in popularity and genre.

Paramore are very popular in their genre but their fans arent as diverse as other bands (btw I am not looking for an argument about it, that is just my view) and I think because of that they will probably get a position similar to 2009 bands either Brand new on main stage (5th-6th from the top), AFI on NME stage (2nd-3rd) or Billy Talent on Lockup Stage (1st-3rd).

Yeah JLS aren't gonna play at reading because its an alternative festival. Paramore are an alternative band so theirfore are the right band to play r&l.

I know what you mean by hating a band though, I don't think paramore are all that bad tbh, not that i'd go and buy an album. But one band that I detested like that was evernesance! I absolutley hate them.

On a side note I think limp bizkit and GnR are still credible with the audience. I personally don't want GnR anywhere near R&L. I hope its someone else.

Im thinking Blink 182, Arcade Fire, AN other (big band with large back catalogue, who get the two hour set)to headline. I hope festival republic pull off something good though. If blink are headlining I wouldnt want green day aswell (above blink maybe). I dont like GnR, but they fit the mould. I would love the Foo's, not likely though. I had a dream about seeing the white stripes at this years festival, I doubt this aswell.

But as far as I'm concerned Paramore are absolutley no more alternative than JLS. Paramore are produced by the person that has masterminded Paris Hilton's musical carear, they are close friends with Miley Cyrus, their music is in no way alternative. I am in no way knocking anyone that likes them, this is only my opinion, and I accept there is a fairly large chance now that we will see them at Reading.
Edited by Tomleeds

I don't understand what your point is? Are you saying that Paramore shouldn't second headline because of your opinion? They are a very different band to JLS or Miley Cyrus, they grew up on the warped tour and come from a completley different music scene. Their current producer has also worked with Green Day, Less than Jake and Stone Sour. He is a producer, it's his job to work with an array of artists, the producer of a band really has no relevance to the genre of that band's music. Metallica's producer once created one of Michael Bublé's albums!

If you actually came up with a decent argument on why Paramore shouldn't be playing then I'd be fine with it, but so far all you've done if point out reasons why you, personally, don't like them. Everyone could just come onto the forum and write a list of bands they don't like and reasons why if they wanted to, but it would just be pointless.

And for the record, I'm not even a paramore fan, I've only heard like 3 songs, this just wound me up!

I admit that I may be dead wrong, I'm probably out of touch but I'm not convinced Paramore could play second at Reading. There are plenty of bands I dislike who could play high up because they would get a big audience, for example Slipknot or QOTSA but I am not sure Paramore would get a big crowd with the type of audience Reading has at the moment, their fanbase SEEMS TO ME to be much younger.
Edited by Lithium05

I wouldnt be surprised if Paramore either played maybe 3rd or 4th on the main stage on the Firday or Sunday or played high up or headlining on another stage.

It is common sense based on previous years lineup based on similarities in popularity and genre.

Paramore are very popular in their genre but their fans arent as diverse as other bands (btw I am not looking for an argument about it, that is just my view) and I think because of that they will probably get a position similar to 2009 bands either Brand new on main stage (5th-6th from the top), AFI on NME stage (2nd-3rd) or Billy Talent on Lockup Stage (1st-3rd).

Obviously I hate them, so any reason I can come up with to justify them not playing I will find, I realise I probably sound stupid! I am biased, I know this! However I stick to my point that Paramore are a band whose largest fanbase is young teenage girls - and this is in no way put as a put down, I'm just sayin that their audience is not the one that goes to Reading and Leeds.

I admit that I may be dead wrong, I'm probably out of touch but I'm not convinced Paramore could play second at Reading. There are plenty of bands I dislike who could play high up because they would get a big audience, for example Slipknot or QOTSA but I am not sure Paramore would get a big crowd with the type of audience Reading has at the moment, their fanbase SEEMS TO ME to be much younger.

Edited by kev1664

I think you might be a tad out of touch on this one. When their latest album was release a lot of people started taking notice, I saw a lot of people on Facebook and out and about in town who could definately be described as the "Reading type" (ie trendy, but like to think they're alternative) talking about Paramore and how much they like them, and these are lads and lasses in their 20s. I think Paramore were a band that were synonymous with the emo scene (which is why you have them perceived as having a younger fan base) but their latest offering bought them out of that pigeonhole and into the mainstream , and they've been marketed in such a way that they're quite a "cool" band now. It's the sort of thing that started the Indie craze back in 2003/4, and could be the beginning of the changing of the tide in terms of the genres that dominate Reading's line-up, the popularity of indie is fading, and this could be what replaces it.

From your posts and your use of the term average r&l audience.

You are either the average reading goer (using the median) where you are the middle value and everyone else is at the complete extreme either side of you.

Or you have no idea of what the average r&l goer likes, or what music fits with them.

After all its an alternative festival, for alternative forms of music. If an alternative band is available, of any size, the festival will be likely to book them because there is a big market for them.

You must know festivals are always changing, and in many ways festivals will dictate the music of tomorrow. Its up to them to stay ahead of the game and offer something different because music gets old fast and mostly comes round in cycles of popularity.

Edited by thomasowen

In that case...maybe you should try harder? Because your image of Paramore's fanbase is a bit blinkered. If they really were on a par with JLS, Miley Cyrus etc and if their fanbase was solely made up of young girls, they wouldn't be getting the type of media output they do. They're not marketed in the same way.

Objective, rational and fair? Yet you've said you think they're a terrible band and this may affect your opinion. So basically, the complete opposite?

I'm not naive - it's blatantly obvious that they're marketed in a different way to Miley Cyrus. If you can't see that then you really don't have very good knowledge of how the media and their audiences work. Even Avril Lavigne isn't marketed in the same way as Miley Cyrus.

The fact they've been in Kerrang does make a fairly considerable difference really, since Kerrang is a mainstream media outlet which caters to a very specific audience. Miley Cyrus or Avril Lavigne wouldn't be in there. This is just one example.

Edited by tomisnothere

I think I have a pretty good idea of the average Reading goer, although no more so than a lot of other people on these boards. It is my perspective and my opinion, everyone can disagree if they want because everyone is coming from their own angle, but the only people I KNOW who like Paramore are young girls, that doesn't mean only young girls like them but that is my perspective.

Hi....

My name is James........Im 25 years old.....and..............

Im a Paramore fan. :P

Anyway, i cant see how paramore are a bad booking for reading.

They have played before dont ya know :P

They are a popular band...and they are associated with the pop-punk scene. Hardly a departure for reading festival