Bar work

Guest RinglandT

You will have to be very quick as the provisional calendar has already been issued.

Years ago a Group Organiser such as myself was able to add new people onto his team at any point of the season but some organisers were adding in friends of friends and some ended up in big trouble as some new people recruited did not latch on to the fact that they were expected to work odd shifts { some very late indeed } and they could not pick which shift they ended up working.

It became a big problem so the WBC brought in strict rules.

They have a deadline and everyone has to be registered by a certain date { they have not issued it yet but its likely to be at the end of February }

Organisers then submit bids for the whole season { likely to be by the end of March }

Say I bid for twenty places - even although I run a very experienced team I may only end up with twelve places and the twelve I nominate have to be already registered { as per the first deadline }

The newer the Team the less numbers they are allocated so they may bid for twenty places and only end up with four or six places.

Occasionally Teams will drop out and the WBC will offer extra places { over and above the original allocation } - last year for example I was offered a extra eight places for Glastonbury ' two days before the event started ' but I had to tell them who was being added within one hour and seeing most by that time already had their tickets I turned down their offer. Lets say I wanted to take up the offer the only people I could use was people already registered as being members of my Team { as per the first deadline }

At this stage your best to look to see if a trade union your involved in runs their own Team { I have a full list of who is involved on the last page of the link that strolling wanderer posted } as they tend to be more keen to take on new volunteers.

I will not be adding anyone this year as I have such a strong Team.

By the way you increase your chances if you are willing to work at lots of events - there is nine possible weekend events this year so the more flexible you can be the better.

Overall Glastonbury is the event that most people want to do so they will end up oversubscribed and have to cut back numbers - one year they had 70 % more bids than they could allocate.

If a Team is cut back they tend to give the places to the people who have more experience than anyone else

so on my Team the people who have been with me more than fifteen years get picked over someone who has been with me five years - it may appear unfair but I know the more experience a person has the less problems that crop up as they run themselves.

Its a great way to see a festival but of course you have to be prepared to end up working when your favourite band is playing - its all the luck of the draw and the WBC will tend to give two early and two late shifts { shift duration can vary - at some events its only five hours at others it can be seven hours }

There is no point getting wasted when you have a early shift the next day - it does not matter how rough you feel you are still expected to work.

Brian

it may be worth trying to contact the groups who volunteer for the wbc and work at a few different festies to raise funds for their different causes. glastos a popular one and theres a lot of volunteers looking for places for glasto, normally a lot more volunteers than places available. good luck.

Thanks Brian you have given me a lot to think about and I will have a look at the groups, I am prepared to work at different events as I enjoy the work, I have a lot of experience in the bar trade including running a pub. I think this looks really interesting.

Hi Brian,

I hope you don't mind me asking a question, but you seem to be quite knowledgeable on this subject.

I've been working the last few years at Glastonbury as a supervisor for Oxfam, however a change in my day job means that I probably won't be able to take as much time off as I would need to commit to Oxfam.

Do you know what the requirements are for the times to be on site with the WBC? For example, do you know if it would be possible to arrive on Thursday night and work all your shifts during the weekend?

Thanks, Gareth.

Hi Brian,

I hope you don't mind me asking a question, but you seem to be quite knowledgeable on this subject.

I've been working the last few years at Glastonbury as a supervisor for Oxfam, however a change in my day job means that I probably won't be able to take as much time off as I would need to commit to Oxfam.

Do you know what the requirements are for the times to be on site with the WBC? For example, do you know if it would be possible to arrive on Thursday night and work all your shifts during the weekend?

Thanks, Gareth.