Non-camping transportation options

Guest bluedodo

My friend and I are from Singapore and as this is our first time to England and Glasto festival and we have made the decision not to camp at the site as we are not too familiar with the environment there.

The problem is that we have scoured online for websites on useful info for transportation to and fro everyday from the festival grounds, but so far nothing has came up. We are getting a bit desperate and would like to ask for help on

(1) anyone who knows of any public tranportation that offers to and fro services daily from bristol or a glastonbury town to the festival grounds?

(2) Have you heard from any fellow festival goers who had done this succesfully before or is it not really a viable option?

Thank you so much for your help in advance!

My friend and I are from Singapore and as this is our first time to England and Glasto festival and we have made the decision not to camp at the site as we are not too familiar with the environment there.

The problem is that we have scoured online for websites on useful info for transportation to and fro everyday from the festival grounds, but so far nothing has came up. We are getting a bit desperate and would like to ask for help on

(1) anyone who knows of any public tranportation that offers to and fro services daily from bristol or a glastonbury town to the festival grounds?

(2) Have you heard from any fellow festival goers who had done this succesfully before or is it not really a viable option?

Edited by jameshunt

listen. Everyone is really friendly here. We'll help you get over your camping fears... Is it the weather that worries you? Or the cleanliness? Or just that it all seems a bit alien? You'll love it, even if it all seems a bit overwhelming to camp.

Let us know and we'll try and help... X

Camp without question. Glastonbury isn't just a music fest but so much more. A lot of it is about the people you meet and the friendships you make. That comes with camping and living on site among 150,000 of the nicest people you'll ever find for the best part of a week.

If you have enough spare cash consider one of the pre-set up campsites that are on the edges? I think there are pods, camps and obviously the tipi field. They are all considered 'luxury' and do cost quite a bit but if you are averse to sharing a field with 175,000 people who are all doing the same thing, this may an option for you.

Glastonbury is in no way a festival that resembles a one day event near/in a city. It IS a city in itself. The environment at Glastonbury is very busy, noisy in most places, very chaotic but a hell of a lot of fun. There are plenty of quiet areas to escape to away from the crowds and a million things to discover. You wont ever be bored, overwhelmed maybe but if it gets too much/you get lost, just get chatting to the folk around you or the very helpful and knowledgeable stewards and campsite helpers.

Drop the idea about staying in Bristol straight away, it is not near the festival! :P

If you want to maybe get a really good idea of what to expect and have only seen pictures or heard tales before, I highly recommend you order/get your hands on a copy of the Glastonbury Movie by Julien Temple. It is a documentary movie that was released a couple of years ago that truly captures what life is like for the revellers for the craziest 5 days of the year. For yourselves it shows how busy but fun the campsites are, the kind of people you will be sharing the space with for 5 days, what there is to see and do, some of the music and cabaret and tales and history of the festival since its birth 40 years ago :P

If you do decide against camping there is a Travelodge in Glastonbury Town and a youth hostel above the pub in the little town centre and a number of Bed & Breakfasts. A taxi there and back to the town from the festival pick up/drop off point would cost you about £6-15 per journey (at a guess), the town is about 4 miles from the festival site...the festy itself is by a little village called Pilton. There is not a public bus service for the festival I dont think. There are probably B&Bs a bit nearer than Glastonbury Town and you have a few months to sort yourself out.

Just a note of warning in case you are/were thinking of arriving early. There were major travel problems with the festival last year on the first day and this year the car parks are opening a night early to ease congestion. This also means that very likely there are little to no spaces in hotels/hostels/B&Bs available locally even now for booking into on the Tuesday night as savvy people are prepared and already booked in months in advance.

After Tuesday though, everyone will be camping at the fest and the rooms will become free.

Good luck deciding what you want to do. :P

There is also a daily shuttle bus to and from Glastonbury town.

<quote from the official website>

The Festival also runs a non profit-making bus service from Glastonbury town to the site, and back. They go from the bus stop at the bottom of the High St, opposite the entrance to the Abbey

link to bus info

I meet some people last year who have stayed in Glastonbury for about 3 or 4 years and always use this bus. The downside though seems to be that the last bus is around midnight and the first not until 10am or so... which means you'll miss out on loads of the atmosphere and late night goings on. I personally would hate that!

Thanks to all for your suggestions and helpful information!! Almost tempted to go for camping after what everyone has said here :P but if me and my friend really are to do it, I guess we would have to do lots of research and buy the proper equipment and stuff, but it would be great fun and an unforgettable experience i guess :P

Alternatively might go for the travelodge or b&b in glastonbury town as LusciousLucy has suggested, would have to discuss with my friend again and see which option we will go for in the end...but either way, see you all there come June! Can't wait!

Thanks to all for your suggestions and helpful information!! Almost tempted to go for camping after what everyone has said here :P but if me and my friend really are to do it, I guess we would have to do lots of research and buy the proper equipment and stuff, but it would be great fun and an unforgettable experience i guess :P

Alternatively might go for the travelodge or b&b in glastonbury town as LusciousLucy has suggested, would have to discuss with my friend again and see which option we will go for in the end...but either way, see you all there come June! Can't wait!

Edited by Niblet

Camping is honestly a great option! :P As metnioned, you can pre-order a tent to pick up on site. Otherwise there are stalls on site which sell camping equipment. Also any good sized town is likely to have a camping shop (if you have time before the festival).

All you really need is:

- Tent

- Sleeping bag

- A back pack

There are of course other things you can get which will increase your comfort or make life easier such as an inflatable mattress or a torch. Anything you forget you will be able to buy on site.

Oh and you should certainly buy the food on site because not only is it easier than having to bring cookign stuff with you, it also tastes amazing! There is so much variety of food - you'll want to try everything!