Sonisphere or Download ? Advice from 'older' punters required.

Guest Arpus

'ello,

We are a slightly 'older' couple and we are veterans of various festivals like Glastonbury, Beautiful days, Sunrise and Guilfest.

Years ago I used to do the likes of Monsters of Rock, Reading, Phoenix and Knebworth so I am well versed in the more 'Rock' but mostly friendly atmosphere of these festivals.

This changed with my last experience of Reading, it was ok musically but spoilt by the extreme commercial exploitation by the organizers and there being a predominance of retards, thieves, and louts (of all ages) making the atmosphere unfriendly and intimidating.

Nowadays we do our festivalling in a small campervan and head for the designated campervan areas.

Its taken a few years to bring my better half round to contemplating one of the more 'heavier' festivals, her reluctance has mostly been to the 'unfriendly' reputations that circulate. She wants to be able to smile at and say hello to people without getting a yobbish glare and / or verbal abuse back.

We are undecided...... Download with (possibly) AC/DC, Metallica et al. OR Sonisphere with (confirmed) Iron Maiden, Motley Crew, Alice Cooper, The Cult etc.

So any advice from fellow 'slightly' older festival goers would be appreciated.

Which is the friendlier festival ?

What are the beer prices like?

Do they sample your 'soft drinks' ?

What are the campervan areas like ? Are they level ? (we have a fussy beer cooler)

Any other thoughts appreciated.

Sonisphere has a much more relaxed camp site atmosphere, its lively but its not over the top, and is a bit calmer than at Download.

However you'd be best just waiting to see a bit more of the lineup for each before jumping to it, both festivals won't sell out any time soon I don't think so you have a bit of time to decide.

Hey Arpus, my last Reading was 2005, and it was definitely my last, it was a horrible experience - tent burning, gas canisters going off, thieving....I'm sure you know what I mean. You can see my festival history in my sig below, so I've been to a few over the years! Went to Sonisphere last year and camped next to my mate's campervan and it was damn quiet. If you really wanted to, you could get a really good night's sleep, it was a really chilled place

Download is similar - the campervan field is dead quiet - free showers, clean toilets and no noise. Depends totally on the bands you like. I reckon you'll have a great time at either festival, although I'd recommend staying away from 'gen pop'. At both festivals, campfires are banned, and that makes all the difference - there's stuff to do in the arena, so everyone stays there for the most part

Both are friendly relaxed places with loads to do and a massive age range. In my experience, rock/metal festivals are always more friendly than indie ones like Latitude or Reading.

Was only the second time Id been Reading but was my last too, I agree, horrid experience , no-one was friendly to their neighbours at all, it was like all out for themselves the whole weekend. The time before I went in 2002, was completely different, that was an awesome year, I felt like best mates with everyone around me, smoking, sharing beers, jamming, singalongs, great vibe.

Can't believe how much it changed in 3 years

Went Download first time last year, and had an amazing experience, it was a bit rowdy but nothing too much, everyone was just there for a good time and looking out for each other.

Sunday night there were 'riots'

But lets explain it, you had people setting fire to their own stuff, making sure that it was away from anyone elses stuff, looking out for each other, within 2 minutes the fire engine was there, and everyone just moved out the way and let them put it out, then another one started up elsewhere

At Reading on Sunday 2005, everyone was destroying everyone elses stuff, no fire engines to be seen, no security whatsoever, eventually an ambulance came up through the campsite, a bunch of kids stood infront of it not letting it past then dragged the driver out and kicked him in.

Disgusting.

I hope I never have to see anything like that a festival again. Can't speak on Soni, ain't been yet. But Ive heard good things

Well it was nothing like that last year, they had tons of security and fire engines etc about, they obviously learnt their lesson

But where I was camped which was the first campsite you come to from the arena, everyone was totally sound with each other and there was no-one setting fire to anything but there own stuff in open spaces away from other tents.

Sonisphere has a much more relaxed camp site atmosphere, its lively but its not over the top, and is a bit calmer than at Download.

However you'd be best just waiting to see a bit more of the lineup for each before jumping to it, both festivals won't sell out any time soon I don't think so you have a bit of time to decide.

?????? think u must of been slightly blinkered mate? :P

Okay what i saw from 2006 riots - Out of control fire outside me and my mates tents, people trying to set the forest on fire, teenages trying to bring the lighting pilons down, toilets being set alight regardless of who was in them, young emo kids being round up surrounded by dumb metalheads and being bullied and pelted with stuff, riot police coming in and being pelted with rocks, burger fans set alight, and when fire engines came along loads of teenagers jumping all over them. It was so bad i refused to go to the last 3 Downloads....only considering this year as the lineup looks so awsome

Both are much better than Reading and much friendlier.

Sonis campsite is great, clean and compact (nowhere near as big as reading) and the later you arrive the closer to the entrance you get. Well policed as well.

Sonis format is cool having fewer bands and no clashes but some argue that more choice is better so it comes sown tom preference on that one.

I've only ever done a say at download and always got chatting to randoms and they're both really friendly festivals and I feel more at home at donington or knebworth than reading leeds or T.

I'm doing download this year but this purely down to the fact i want to see ACDC and as I live in edinburgh, soni can be a pain to get to by comparison. Both top festivals and couldn't choose a favorite. Sorry i couldn't help more!

Mrs and I are well into our 50's, we don't camp, thought about campervan, but we're big softies so its hotels for us.

Used to go to Leeds every year, gave it up after 2006, just one big nightmare experience, for the same reasons you mentioned.

Not done Sonisphere, so can't comment

We go to Download every year. My Mrs is not a metal fan, shall we say she still listens to the Monkees ! :P But she's very happy to go to Download/Donnington, good atmosphere, generally friendly. Can't comment on campervan facilities, but I have seen where they park which last year didn't seem too far away from the arena. Also the weather is always great (well probably not now that I've said that !)

Download tends to attract a fairly mature crowd, I dont just mean older, I mean more tollerent and laid back.

So, from what you say, I can recommend Download. Just one thing, they have increased the capacity for 2010, so I don't know if this will change things.

Edited by Old Mosher

• 2 weeks later...

having been to download a few times and sonisphere last year, i think its a tough call, i didnt camp at sonisphere as its 30 mins away from me:) so cannot comment on campsite atmos, depends what your priorities are, if you want to go for the music id say sonisphere just for the fact rammstein is playing!

first night i went download,woke up in the morn and the tent next to me had been burnt down with a police range rover putting cuffs on the dwellers and drugs and weighing scales..haha thought it was gonna be a crazy fest but it was just drunk kids mostly, the download camp is full of quite a few kids shouting crap all the time which gets to you after a while,however the layout is more established..

IMO i think sonisphere trialled it last year,will vastly improve the organisation and layout and gain better acts because of knebworth.

because your not camping, go sonisphere if you have to choose!

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings to all,

Thank you all for your advice and comments, we have decided on Download mainly because of AC/DC and Them bent birds. Would love to do both but being robbed by this government / banks / utilities and limited work holidays does not help. Mind you, we aint doing too bad, so far its Download, Glastonbury and Beautiful Days!

Greetings to all,

Thank you all for your advice and comments, we have decided on Download mainly because of AC/DC and Them bent birds. Would love to do both but being robbed by this government / banks / utilities and limited work holidays does not help. Mind you, we aint doing too bad, so far its Download, Glastonbury and Beautiful Days!