users on this forum

Guest calumtom19

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care if you're 15 and know the complete Animal Collective back catalogue word for word or you are 48 and know two Kings Of Leons songs, don't go to a festival and act like an ignorant cock. Sadly it seems the majority of those with cockish behaviour were of a younger age group than normal and were there in higher volume.
Edited by dakyras

Im am 16 years old and yes; I am a school leaver and yes I was my first time at Reading and finally yes I did see KOL.

but people on this forum makiin to many assumptions and stereotypes about a music fan such as myself.

They assume becaUse I am young that wen it comes to KOL I only know "use somebody" and "sex on fire". Wen infact i hate sex on fie" and I prefer the songs from the earlier albums such as "Calfornia waiting" "molly chambers" and "charmer".

They assume because I like so called "mainstream" bands such as Artic Monkeys and KOL that my taste in music is one dimensional and blinkered. In fact I am a big fan of bands such as Radiohead (who put in the best performance ive seen in my life) Rage Against the Machine and DJ's Chase and Status.

They assume that i am at the sort of age were i will automatically choose to get pissed of a couple of wkds and then go around setting fire to things and joining in on the riots. Well I did get pretty wasted on the sunday along with everybody else but strongbow and stella were my drinks of choice and my time was spent having fun around the camp fire not draggin peoples tents into the fires.

and btw the d*ckhead that said the real reading goers were at FNM ur an idiot a festival constantly change and adapts to music industry as a whole at that particular point in time so there is no "real reading goer as the festivals vibe atmosphere and indeed lineup is completley different from one year to the next.

Im am 16 years old and yes; I am a school leaver and yes I was my first time at Reading and finally yes I did see KOL.

but people on this forum makiin to many assumptions and stereotypes about a music fan such as myself.

They assume becaUse I am young that wen it comes to KOL I only know "use somebody" and "sex on fire". Wen infact i hate sex on fie" and I prefer the songs from the earlier albums such as "Calfornia waiting" "molly chambers" and "charmer".

They assume because I like so called "mainstream" bands such as Artic Monkeys and KOL that my taste in music is one dimensional and blinkered. In fact I am a big fan of bands such as Radiohead (who put in the best performance ive seen in my life) Rage Against the Machine and DJ's Chase and Status.

They assume that i am at the sort of age were i will automatically choose to get pissed of a couple of wkds and then go around setting fire to things and joining in on the riots. Well I did get pretty wasted on the sunday along with everybody else but strongbow and stella were my drinks of choice and my time was spent having fun around the camp fire not draggin peoples tents into the fires.

and btw the d*ckhead that said the real reading goers were at FNM ur an idiot a festival constantly change and adapts to music industry as a whole at that particular point in time so there is no "real reading goer as the festivals vibe atmosphere and indeed lineup is completley different from one year to the next.

The fact of the matter is, the younger people who are at their first festival are likely to be the ones acting the worst. The more you go and older you get, you eventually learn not to be swayed by the mob on the last night and how to act decently at festivals in general.

That's not to say everyone follows that, but it's the logical way of things.

All this guy was trying to say - badly.

Is that he isnt a typical 16 year old stereotypical fan, and hes fed up with being labelled as someone who knows nothing about music and shouldnt go to reading festival purely because he didnt see Faith No More and because he is 16.

Regardless of how he said it, those two statements (if you didnt see FNM, then you arent a proper reading goer AND under 18s should definitely be banned, they all riot and are cnuts) are definitely repeated on this and other reading forums.

Ive been to reading festival on a number of occasions. I had no intention of seeing Faith no More. Purely because i hate the sound of mike pattons vocals in FNM. Does that mean i have no music taste, or that i have a music taste that some people disagree with?

Edited by benissright

So are you saying that this is why there is a higher percentage of bad behaviour at Reading than other festivals - because the demographic is young?

because that's what people are arguing - that there's a correlation between the demographical age and the level of bad behaviour.

The fact of the matter is, the younger people who are at their first festival are likely to be the ones acting the worst. The more you go and older you get, you eventually learn not to be swayed by the mob on the last night and how to act decently at festivals in general.

That's not to say everyone follows that, but it's the logical way of things.

Edited by dakyras

Stop spouting utter shit. Have you any statistics to back that up? Do you really think that older people are immune from acting like utter cocks and 'rioting'? What a completely dickheadish thing to say. Seen the English Defence League recently?

I remember being set upon in 2005 by people closer to 35 than 18, who tried to steal all of my stuff as I put it down to rest a bit en route to the car.

I'm not 'spouting utter shit'. What I am saying is, people gain experience over time and are more likely to grow out of acting in such a way as they mature. It's the natural way the world has worked for years. It's why in general you see younger people on a bus playing music at full blast and annoying everyone, and very rarely see, say a 35 year old doing this. Also, younger people are clearly more swayed by peer pressure than older people.

If you read the post I made, I did say there are exceptions to the rule, but I'm sure you understand the concept of maturity.

I'm not 'spouting utter shit'. What I am saying is, people gain experience over time and are more likely to grow out of acting in such a way as they mature. It's the natural way the world has worked for years. It's why in general you see younger people on a bus playing music at full blast and annoying everyone, and very rarely see, say a 35 year old doing this. Also, younger people are clearly more swayed by peer pressure than older people.

If you read the post I made, I did say there are exceptions to the rule, but I'm sure you understand the concept of maturity.