World Cup 2010 during Glastonbury 2010

Guest daggermouth

Not entirely true. There's two ways to go, assuming you're correct and the cinema field would be too big to contain it. You either show it at the Pyramid as I imagine you're suggesting, or you announce before the festival that you won't be showing it at all and people that want to see it should stay at home.

I don't care either way, but I think the football fans should be careful what they wish for. Because if every suggestion of compromise is shouted down with calls of "stage not big enough", "would be too crowded", "health and safety nightmare" the simple solution becomes not to show it at all.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not entirely true. There's two ways to go, assuming you're correct and the cinema field would be too big to contain it. You either show it at the Pyramid as I imagine you're suggesting, or you announce before the festival that you won't be showing it at all and people that want to see it should stay at home.

I don't care either way, but I think the football fans should be careful what they wish for. Because if every suggestion of compromise is shouted down with calls of "stage not big enough", "would be too crowded", "health and safety nightmare" the simple solution becomes not to show it at all.

Is there any possibility the might show it on the screens at the pyramid whilst a band is playing, maybe just the sound tower one, with no sound?

I'm seriously starting to worry now. I guess there is always the radio.

There are 8 groups, and it is obviously dependent on which group England are drawn in as to what days the matches are on. We find this information out on 4th December 2009, so that gives them plenty of organising time.

The options are:

Group A Second round match on Saturday (15:00)/Sunday(19:30), depending on if England finish 1st or 2nd

Group B Second round match on Saturday (15:00)/Sunday (19:30), depending on if England finish 2nd or 1st

Group C Group match on Wednesday (15:00) AND second round match on Saturday (19:30)/Sunday (15:00), depending on if England finish 1st or 2nd

Group D Group match on Wednesday (19:30) AND second round match on Saturday (19:30)/Sunday (15:00), depending on if England finish 2nd or 1st

Group E Group match on Thursday (19:30)

Group F Group match on Thursday (15:00)

Group G Group match on Friday (15:00)

Group H Group match on Friday (19:30)

So with them knowing over 6 months before Glastonbury, they know what they are planning towards.

Groups E or F : won't affect the bands at all;

Groups G or H : will be a definite time to maybe leave empty on the Pyramid Stage;

Groups A or B : will have 2 options available, with it becoming definite on the Tuesday. I would personally try and book a band that are flexible enough to play either of the 2 slots. If England don't get through the group stage, a contingency plan could be put in place to have another band that have played on another stage to play a second time.

Groups C or D : group match won't affect the bands at all, but 2nd round match foolows the same rules as Groups A and B (although it will be Wednesday that it becomes definite which time slot England will be playing).

Personally, my fingers are crossed that England are in Group E!

There are 8 groups, and it is obviously dependent on which group England are drawn in as to what days the matches are on. We find this information out on 4th December 2009, so that gives them plenty of organising time.

The options are:

Group A Second round match on Saturday (15:00)/Sunday(19:30), depending on if England finish 1st or 2nd

Group B Second round match on Saturday (15:00)/Sunday (19:30), depending on if England finish 2nd or 1st

Group C Group match on Wednesday (15:00) AND second round match on Saturday (19:30)/Sunday (15:00), depending on if England finish 1st or 2nd

Group D Group match on Wednesday (19:30) AND second round match on Saturday (19:30)/Sunday (15:00), depending on if England finish 2nd or 1st

Group E Group match on Thursday (19:30)

Group F Group match on Thursday (15:00)

Group G Group match on Friday (15:00)

Group H Group match on Friday (19:30)

So with them knowing over 6 months before Glastonbury, they know what they are planning towards.

Groups E or F : won't affect the bands at all;

Groups G or H : will be a definite time to maybe leave empty on the Pyramid Stage;

Groups A or B : will have 2 options available, with it becoming definite on the Tuesday. I would personally try and book a band that are flexible enough to play either of the 2 slots. If England don't get through the group stage, a contingency plan could be put in place to have another band that have played on another stage to play a second time.

Groups C or D : group match won't affect the bands at all, but 2nd round match foolows the same rules as Groups A and B (although it will be Wednesday that it becomes definite which time slot England will be playing).

Personally, my fingers are crossed that England are in Group E!

Superb plan.

And Langdale Wolf I think you have to remember in 2004 that it was Thursday night and nothing else was on. A lot of people would have gone who might otherwise have seen headliners around the site, I don't think demand will be as high, even with the bigger festival capacity now. A lot of people here have made it quite clear they don't want to watch.

Ive decided that whoever knocks england out of the world cup i will go live there for a year to show my gratitude you f**king twats!

I love watching football but would not choose any match (Ok perhaps the semi or final) over the opportunity to watch and listen to live music. I would suggest a small portable radio to tune into Radio 5..!

There again, my family are Scottish and as we know, we Scots have very low expectations when it comes to any major (or minor) football tournament.

Good luck England!

I hope they just don't show it if it falls on Friday-Sunday. Easier all round. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see it, but I don't want to sacrifice a slot on the Other/Pyramid. Wouldn't like to be the band going on after if England lose either. If people are that desperate, they can go to Bristol or somewhere

I love football and always watch and follow England. I Love galstonbury and have been 8 of the last 9 years. However they shouldn't mix. If i desperately wanted to watch England i wouldn't go to Glasto. If there is a game during Glastonbury then it shouldn't be shown.

I wouldn't go to Glastonbury if the final was on and we were in it!

But it ain't so Glasto here i come (providing i get a ticket)!!!

I love football and always watch and follow England. I Love galstonbury and have been 8 of the last 9 years. However they shouldn't mix. If i desperately wanted to watch England i wouldn't go to Glasto. If there is a game during Glastonbury then it shouldn't be shown.

I wouldn't go to Glastonbury if the final was on and we were in it!

But it ain't so Glasto here i come (providing i get a ticket)!!!

This has to be a good argument (another good argument I should say - i can think of about 1000!) for bringing back the outdoor cinema?

If the match falls on a Saturday or Sunday evening there's no other way to have a reasonably sized viewing area (can't imagine shutting down the Pyramid or other stages for a match).

I hope they just don't show it if it falls on Friday-Sunday. Easier all round. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see it, but I don't want to sacrifice a slot on the Other/Pyramid. Wouldn't like to be the band going on after if England lose either. If people are that desperate, they can go to Bristol or somewhere