Camping Glastonbury v 'V'

Guest bcfctrev

I think you have to way up the pros and cons.

Camping -

Atmosphere & definitely more fun. Also onsite all the time, no big walk twice a day.

Campervan -

Comfy dry bed, dry clothes, cooking facilities, fridge and cold beer, electricity, your own toilet.

15 years ago I would deffo gone the camping option - but alas, now I own a caravan, would not go without it.

I think you have to way up the pros and cons.

Camping -

Atmosphere & definitely more fun. Also onsite all the time, no big walk twice a day.

Campervan -

Comfy dry bed, dry clothes, cooking facilities, fridge and cold beer, electricity, your own toilet.

15 years ago I would deffo gone the camping option - but alas, now I own a caravan, would not go without it.

They are the reasons that campervan / caravan wins hands down, likewise, maybe 15 years ago, I'd have camped, think if I camped now, it would kill me. Would much rather have a bed and get up about 10:30am without my snoring affecting everyone else :wacko:

Not overly fussed about the walk (high spirits on way there, pissed on way back) although that's easy to say without actually seeing the hill

the hill of death is just that... in the mud and rain! ugh. its bad enough doing it once going back to the carpark! Some of the campers are a decent hike away from the gate, which you'll have to queue up at to get back on site everyday, get searched at every day. No thank you!

Your first glasters, I'd deffo camp. Stick your stuff on a trolley, take an airbed and you'll be fine... we all sleep in earplugs so won't hear your grunting!

Who wants to cook at Glasters anyway when there is a plethora of yummy food on site, and take travel johns... its like having an en suite in your tent!

how much are the tickets for Glastonbruy, and do you know how much extra for a campervan / caravan ticket?

do the campervan / caravan tickets have their own field or is it mixed with tents? are there any electrical hookups (not expecting them)

sorry for the questions, but like I said, festival newbie here

In most of the fields the tents are fairly rammed together much like V.

The thing I've noticed is that the campsites at glasto are a lot cleaner.

The gaps(small as they are) between the tents at V from my experience are full of rubbish from day 1.

Recycling at glasto is everywhere and more people tend to do it so the site stays cleaner.

I think there are about 20,000? painted bins on site that are colour codes for recycling which helps.

A campervan is the only way to go (in my opinion)- 5 days of camping and partying can be a chore.

Trying to get a campervan hire during Glasto week can be a problem.

In past years all the vans in the country have been booked so I would reserve one early if possible.

The only problem is (like V) that you are outside of the site and have to pass through security each time.

This can be a problem at busy times -especially from Sunday morning onwards where you can queue for well over an hour.

You also need to get on site on the wednesday if possible as the later you leave it the further you have to walk to the main gates for entry. this can add another 20 mins for entry due to the walk.

Having been to V Chelmsford in the camper the van field is tiny - taking only 200/300 vans at glasto it runs into the mid thousands - (my ticket number last year was about 3500)

They are the reasons that campervan / caravan wins hands down, likewise, maybe 15 years ago, I'd have camped, think if I camped now, it would kill me. Would much rather have a bed and get up about 10:30am without my snoring affecting everyone else :rolleyes:

Not overly fussed about the walk (high spirits on way there, pissed on way back) although that's easy to say without actually seeing the hill

• 2 weeks later...

Surely it all depends where you camp and who you camp next to?

The people next to me on Pennards this year were filthy and picking your way through empty laughing gas canisters was like tip-toeing through a minefield. And every time we woke up in the morning someone had shoe-horned another tent into a space barely big enough for it.

In Gold (at V Staffs) our campsite was immacualte and one of our party believed it to be the cleanest festival she'd ever attended. It was also really spacious and fairly quiet.

We were in E9 in a campervan, about 20-25 mins walk to gate c arrived 11pm wednesday.

Hill of death not too bad like climbing 4 or 5 flights of stairs.

Never queued to get in gate c on any day at about 11am

Nice to have a shower in the morning in campervan.

Left camper at 1030 each morning got back about 1am

Would I camp in a tent? Yes but wife won't.

I think you can still get most of the Glastonbury experience in a campervan but not all, you makes you choice.

Loved it, first one aged 43 cant wait for next year thats why I'm on here, one of the best experiences of my life, can't believe I havent done it before!