Pushing to the front

Guest Messy

The umbrella thread sparked this, as it is another major festival/gig annoyance of mine. People that think it's okay to push past you when you're stood watching a band.

I always try and get to gigs at least half an hour/45 minutes before the support comes on, as I generally find it harder to enjoy a gig if I'm not as close to the stage as possible. Yet there are still people who seem to think it's okay to arrive half way through the set and barge their way through to the front. I got here first, buddy boy, I get to stand further ahead than you. I've even had a couple of people, clearly taller than me, come and stand right in front of me. I mean, seriously. They must just not be nice people.

;)

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's certainly annoying when people have no thought for others.

I'd hope that most will take some sort of action if it's pointed out to them in a non aggressive manner ("mind moving a bit to the left mate") but an angry reaction to a pusher caused the worst violence I'd ever seen in a crowd, with the pusher ultimately stabbing someone with his umbrella (there they are again!). This wasn't at Glasto though and fortunately they were separated before anyone was seriously injured.

when the random 6ft6 bloke barges past me to then stand directly in front and block my view. i try the 'could you move a little to the side' approach first. if that has no result, i light a cigarette and either blow smoke on him or deliberately wave it around apparently carelessly rather close to him. he normally moves.

nb. i've never actually burned anyone or melted their clothing or owt. that'd make me as bad as them. as long as they think i might, they shift though.

I don't mind people politely passing me, but barging f**kers should be strung up by their f**king eyelids. And there's them bastards who barge in front of you then stand stock still, thus impeding any dancing you were trying to do. A bit of politeness is all I ask. I used to go to a lot of dance events, and those crowds are infinitely more considerate than rock crowds (I realise drugs are partially to do with this, though there was also a completely different ethos, where everyone looked out for each other).

i dont have that big a problem with people wanting to get to the front as long as there are fairly considerate, what annoys me is when a group (usually people who think far too much of themselves) push past and then stand not just infront of you but so close you have to move back or find another space, usually in these situations i just dance crazily enough to either scare them off or get a couple of "accidental" blows in.

I don't mind people politely passing me, but barging f**kers should be strung up by their f**king eyelids. And there's them bastards who barge in front of you then stand stock still, thus impeding any dancing you were trying to do. A bit of politeness is all I ask. I used to go to a lot of dance events, and those crowds are infinitely more considerate than rock crowds (I realise drugs are partially to do with this, though there was also a completely different ethos, where everyone looked out for each other).

If i do pust in - and i dont do the whole elbows arsyness, just kinda walk in small gaps - i'll try to stand at a group of people as tall as me so its not going to have much effect on people behind me.

depends on whose playing where i want to stand though. If its a more dancy band, i'm happy being at the side quite far back cos theres more room to dance - rather than just bob up and down. If more rocky then i'll try to get nearer the front. You feel more part of the show and get a better feeling than just standing at the back and watching.

No need to barge at all. Especially when they make up names pretneding to look for their friends. On the other hand, i've been to open air gigs with loads of space, and some people have moaned about me going in front of them. You kind of need to fill up the gaps if you don;t want someone in front of you!

Just remembered - at Latitude a couple of years back I was in the Sunrise Tent when a group came in and stood in front of the group to my right, and one of the new group was wearing a trilby. This clearly got in the way of one or two people but all they did was moan amongst themselves.

After a minute or two movement in the crowd bought trilby-wearer directly in front of me. I politely tapped him on the shoulder and asked him to take the hat of, which he did. This amazed the group to my right that I had dared ask, but they were quite admiring of me.

music doesnt need to be seen, there are 3 big screens in the pyramid feild, if you really need to see something and cant then you are doing something wrong

It can be annoying when a bit of space next to you becomes like a path and people are streaming through it all the time.

But no problem with people wanting to get to and from the front during sets, particularly headliners, when 2 hours is a long time to do without toilet and/or cider bus.