My glastonbury

Guest annax

So the tickets have arrived, I've spent the last week perusing the line up over and over and the excitement has been building up steadily, as it has done over the last six years.

Except this time, it just feels like an even longer period of anticipation. Must be something to do with ordering the tickets back in October/November... last year anyway. And now, it's, what, three weeks away. I've bought a new torch, I've got some new camping accessories and I've even recorded a new MP3 CD with all the bands that I want to see on it for the journey down.

Can't get there for Wednesday - the spouse and the other lift-sharer can't get that day off work, so it's up at Dawn's Crack on Thursday to set-off from London. Of course, it's going to be a beautifully sunny day, so it would be great to have the roof down on the car (sorry...) but there simply won't be enough room with three rucksacks, two tents and everything else. A stop at a BP in Hammersmith for some Unleaded, a trip through Sunbury-On-Thames and out on the M3. Cruising past all the commuters on their way in to London - hopefully they're not all jammed up like 2004 when there was a major accident London-bound.

At the end of the M3 (well, the end as far as we go), Junction 8, it's out onto the A303 and a stop at the Little Chef in Popham. If I'm not mistaken, that's the one that Heston Blumenthal did a make-over on late last year... has it changed? After a little refreshment and the last porcelain toilet stop for five days, it's back into the car for the final two hours. Down the dual carriageway, past Stonehenge (with the obligatory queue for the single carriageway and those wanting to take photos) and on down to Podimore.

At Podimore, it's a trip round the 372 towards Street to make sure we're on the West side of the side... for some reason we always end up camping there, Woodsies, up until now. This year, we're going somewhere new and that probably means the Park. Pitching the tent, blowing up the airbed and saying hi to the neighbours.

Thursday feels like the right day to arrive. Just means that the friends from Manchester are well settled, having done a whole day there already. Things are really starting to liven up, more of the bars are open, the sun will be shining. A quick bite of something yummy to eat and then, as far as we're concerned the festival begins.

Oh and what a beginning. A quick look around the markets after food, a quick shuffle to the bar and normally a stroll over to the Dance Village. But this year, I feel like doing something a bit different... perhaps an early visit to Trash City/Arcadia. Perhaps while away a few hours before heading up to the Stone Circle. Or maybe the Park tower. Or Flagtopia... what a way to begin.

And then, three whole days of blissful ignorance of the world around. Phone batteries die, plans to see bands melt away. All concept of time lost. Wall to wall sunshine. Who's headlining? Oh, really? See you later...

And then, early Monday morning (again at Dawn's Crack), the airbed goes down, the tent packed back into its tiny bag, the rucksacks on the back walked over to the car. It's early, we're tired and the sun isn't yet hot... but we're happy... and slowly creep back to civilisation. A little stop for something eggy on the way home and back in to London.

What a delightful way to spend five days!

Ahhh, i really love this post. My journey covers alot of yours the same way - M3, A303, sneak around to the West side - so it made me quite nostalgic. Plus I camp near the Park so maybe we'll be neighbours. If this is the case then shout me - I have an electric pump for the airbed and so while it's blowing itself up we can sit and share a beer instead :lol: Yay!!

Ahhh, i really love this post. My journey covers alot of yours the same way - M3, A303, sneak around to the West side - so it made me quite nostalgic. Plus I camp near the Park so maybe we'll be neighbours. If this is the case then shout me - I have an electric pump for the airbed and so while it's blowing itself up we can sit and share a beer instead :D Yay!!

Come on, then. I've got a bus ride to kill. here's Friday morning for you:

The sun beats onto the canvas and no longer can I put off waking from an excited sleep. I peel open the tent zip and a massive grin comes over my face. It's Friday! I'm in Glastonbury! An espresso maker on the camping stove, a mug filled with a little brandy, waiting for some delicious coffee in it. A smoke out of the tent with the delicious brandy coffee and the phone goes on. Already some missed texts from last night: 'we're at the Glade', 'come to the cinema', 'see you at Joe Bananas'.

Eventually a real phone call interrupts a bit of Worthy FM. 'Breakfast?' superb. Shorts on. T-shirt and flip-flops. Day bag and I'm ready. Don't forget the camping chair. A lovely veggie breakfast to line the stomach and ready for the first pint of the day. Tuborg? That'll do just fine! How about starting the festival at the side of the sound stage at The Pyramid.

A bit of a shamble around? No problem! Bump into some friends completely by chance? Time for another pint! A shamble into the Green Fields and maybe a stop for a Q Daily. Veggie lunch? Last meal of the day, you know!

And then it starts. The messiness. The random band watching. The swaying in a dance tent. Lily Allen? Pyramid stage? Ok, whatever! Love it all.

Is it time for Doves already? What happened? Where did the day go!

Edited by annax

Damn you Annax, your writing is too good, I'm stuck at work and instead I want to be unzipping a tent and looking out on Glastonbury with the weekend about to begin.

Talk about enthralling and frustrating someone at the same time. :huh:

At the end of the M3 (well, the end as far as we go), Junction 8, it's out onto the A303 and a stop at the Little Chef in Popham. If I'm not mistaken, that's the one that Heston Blumenthal did a make-over on late last year... has it changed?

Oooo...I enjoyed that.

So my Glastonbury journey....

Having moved up to the Midlands in the past year I shall be starting my journey at 7am on the Tuesday when I shall pack all my Glastonbury goodies into the car and head off to work. an 8 hour 'break' at work and then I shall head down the M40 and around the M25 to my parents in Surrey. One of my friends will I arrive at my house and we shall sit in the garden with some drinks, in the blissful sunshine, before heading to bed at about midnight. At 5am we shall rise and hop into the car. We will drive to my boyfriends mothers house for about 6am and meet up with most of our gang, before joining the commuters through Surrey and into Berkshire to join the M4. A stop about half an hour later at the M4 Reading services will be where we meet the rest of our group. The stop will be longer than expected before we head back on the road. We'll make it off the M4 and into the Somerset countryside before someone else decides we need another stop. This last stop is usually within 20 minutes of the festival site. We will then arrive in the morning sunshine, where we will all park up, before unloading our cars on to our sack trolleys and heading to the Park. :lol:

CAN'T WAIT!

This thread has made me properly excited! :D

Since it's a Thursday night arrival this year, Wednesday night is going to have me on tenterhooks.

The cats will have to be put in the cattery long before 7pm and they hate that. A final bit of whizzing around the house looking for those last little bits that have to go into the rucksack. Then, ceremoniously, the main zips on the rucksack are closed. Anything else has to go on the outside.

The tent slides on to one side where the compression straps hold it in place. The camping chair onto the other, again held in place with the straps. Finally, at the bottom, (even though they won't be needed this year), go the wellies. That's it: rucksack done.

A few little jobs in the kitchen: maybe some veggie sausage sandwiches for an early morning breakfast before the Little Chef? Do any dishes - don't want to come back from G to a complete sh!thole. And then... what... the anticipation builds.

Check with some friends already on the site... have a look at the messageboards... frantically flick through all the weather reports. Oh my god... I just cannot wait! Sleeping is going to be so difficult tonight - it's like I'm a five-year old, waiting to go to Disneyland. Except, of course, this is more fun.

Check the TiVo is set to record some of the BBC coverage. Should I check my rucksack once more? Have I put my tickets in the daysack? Oh please, let it be 5am tomorrow already, so that we can leave!

I can't believe that this time in three weeks it'll be that beautiful Sunday feeling - sitting on a picnic rug in front of the Pyramid enjoying the last few rays of the weekend... a bit of Tom Jones... Bliss!