Best place to pitch

Guest LumpyCustard

just wondered how anyone stood on tipi style tents like these:

http://soulpad.co.uk/sanctuary/content/view/90

It might seem like a stupid question but as Ive always worked at glasto and camped in relatively spacious crew fields, are people likely to get thier backs up at the size of such a tent if look at how much space the guy ropes take up.

My friends said hell lend it me but dont wanna been seen to be taking up more space in a crowded pennards field for instance.

wat dya reckon?

It will be fine, the rule is: if you can carry it on site you can pitch it.

Okay if you had two of them and gazebo all just for yourself that might be pushing it. The SoulPad tipi looks awesome, in fact if I had seen it earlier I may have gotten myself one. Instead I am camping in one of these:

Tipi.jpg

Similar to the SoulPad and cheaper, but not quite as cool. In fact we have two of them, there will be 10 of us mind you.

Of course to get a space big enough in a popular location, you will have to be there early, but I see that as the reward for making the effort to get there early.

Interested to know what other people think?

OMG .... don't camp near a path

I spent the night with ... um a couple i met in Trash City ... their tent was in Cockmill Meadow next to the path that runs down the middle

The noise of people walking by in the morning was unbearable

"dont camp near the pathways" loads of people walking past very noisey ect...
Edited by venuss

It will be fine, the rule is: if you can carry it on site you can pitch it.

Okay if you had two of them and gazebo all just for yourself that might be pushing it. The SoulPad tipi looks awesome, in fact if I had seen it earlier I may have gotten myself one. Instead I am camping in one of these:

Tipi.jpg

Similar to the SoulPad and cheaper, but not quite as cool. In fact we have two of them, there will be 10 of us mind you.

Of course to get a space big enough in a popular location, you will have to be there early, but I see that as the reward for making the effort to get there early.

I got it from cybercheckout and it was £105, they put the price up just after I bought it, but as someone on here pointed out it was still £105 on their ebay shop, at the time. NEWS FLASH just checked ebay £150 on there as well now, they know festival season is coming.

I have never used it in anger before, obviously not counting putting it up in the garden to check I had all the bits and to give the kids a laugh, however there are potential issues that you should be aware of:

1. Ground sheet is not attached to the tent, thus crawling things can get in much more easily than modern designed tents.

2. In biblical thunderstorm sheet rain situation of water literally flowing along the ground, a river could in theory flow though the tipi, obviously be very careful where you pitch it, I get there gates open Wednesday so I can go where I like.

3. As with all single skinned tents, condensation could be an issue, particularly with so many big sweaty men in there.

Just re-read point 3 going off the whole idea now, sweaty men, oh dear.

However it does have a 2000mm hydrostatic head, is as cool as feck and will be a cake walk to find at 2am.

I got it from cybercheckout and it was £105, they put the price up just after I bought it, but as someone on here pointed out it was still £105 on their ebay shop, at the time. NEWS FLASH just checked ebay £150 on there as well now, they know festival season is coming.

I have never used it in anger before, obviously not counting putting it up in the garden to check I had all the bits and to give the kids a laugh, however there are potential issues that you should be aware of:

1. Ground sheet is not attached to the tent, thus crawling things can get in much more easily than modern designed tents.

2. In biblical thunderstorm sheet rain situation of water literally flowing along the ground, a river could in theory flow though the tipi, obviously be very careful where you pitch it, I get there gates open Wednesday so I can go where I like.

3. As with all single skinned tents, condensation could be an issue, particularly with so many big sweaty men in there.

Just re-read point 3 going off the whole idea now, sweaty men, oh dear.

However it does have a 2000mm hydrostatic head, is as cool as feck and will be a cake walk to find at 2am.

Instead I am camping in one of these:

Tipi.jpg

It is 5.5 metre in diameter and 3 metres high, so no problem standing up in it.

It is sold as a "12 man tipi", 12 midgets maybe, I think the usual rule for tents apply you half the number they claim, as such we will be having 5 in each. Since the testing I think this will be fine leaving room near one of the doors for in/out traffic and also room for everybodies gear

i agree with the paths, bushes and toilets thing. i still cant get with the 'camp on hilly ground' thing tho. how the hell do u support yourself?!

I understand floods and everything but i just cant see how camping on a hill works. wont u slip at night or whenever in tent?!

im camping in pennards so i guess im stuffed really.

The hills aren't that steep, at least most of the time. Ideally you want a flattish area that's mostly on a hill - and not in any sort of dip or gulley. Sleep with your feet pointing downhill.

Sleeping sideways to the hill is bad. You *will* roll.

Hmm, unless you have a camp bed with some sort of adjustable legs...

We've always pitched up in the same place. On the hill next to the Pyramid stage. Near the back in between the pylon and 'fire bucket' thingy (so can find way back)...about 2 rows from bushes so we dont get the lazy people pissing on our tents (this DID happen one year wen we were right next to the hedge...same man did it at least 3 times a NIGHT!) :lol:

If your on a hill have your doorway facing horizontally to the hill..like sideways, and slightyl down as well, that way wen you sleep your head is higher than your feet (and it really isnt steep enough to fall out). Also means if it rains the rain wont flow into your tent :(

There are 3 sets of toilets located pretty much just 5 mins away from us in this spot (far enough from the smell, but close enough after a curry!) :P

Just remember to have your guys ropes as short as possible, prevents tripping people! And avoid toilets and paths as previously said.

CAMPING AND MUSIC AND FRIENDLY PEOPLE....WHAT MORE CAN YOU NEED