WHY IS EVERY FESTIVAL FORUM FULL OF PPLE MOANING ABOUT THE LINEUP

Guest good hand shake

Not going to V, but we were fed up with it on the glastonbruy boards so we had a no moaning day and we gave to charity. It is a shame when people come on and a bitch about the line-up. So theres some bands you don't like, but there will be some you do. If there aren't any bands you like then why are you going, if its for the atmosphere then why complain about the line-up. it just doesn't make sense.

it is weird....why are they bothering to go?!

im going to leeds this year and am loving the line up so far. hopefully a few more of my favourite bands will be announced too :blink:

fingers crossed for the weather then and it should be a quality weekend!

robx

This will be my 12th V Festival - and as far as I know it has always been a pop festival
Edited by MikeyB37

There was a thread on here a while back which compared V line-ups from just 6 or 7 years ago to those from the last couple of years, and it has to be said that the 'pop' element seems to be creeping in more and more.

I could be wrong but it feels as though V are trying to reposition themselves to capture more of the T4 on the Beach/Radio 1 Big Weekend type crowd, where they used to offer up a pretty good alternative to Reading/Leeds not so long ago.

<edit> this wasn't a moan, just an observation :blink:

There was a thread on here a while back which compared V line-ups from just 6 or 7 years ago to those from the last couple of years, and it has to be said that the 'pop' element seems to be creeping in more and more.

I could be wrong but it feels as though V are trying to reposition themselves to capture more of the T4 on the Beach/Radio 1 Big Weekend type crowd, where they used to offer up a pretty good alternative to Reading/Leeds not so long ago.

<edit> this wasn't a moan, just an observation :D

Most definitely right - spot on. Just take a look at the 2003 line up as an example. 3 pr 4 pop acts at most.

People moan because quite frankly the line up is not very good. People feel cheated especially if they got early bird tickets so have bought "blind". Most years there are a few gems to make it worth going. It's all very well saying "it's not just about the bands, i'll still have a good time". There is nothing wrong with that, in fact it is to be encouraged. But the fact is you have paid good money and they are duty-bound to put a show on. This is a moan AND it's an observation :D

If I hadn't bought my ticket already, and I sat down with a list of who was playing at what festival, V would probably be one of the last ones I would chose to buy a ticket for this year. Yes, the people who say that being with your mates in a field in the sunshine is important are right...but I'd rather the soundtrack wasn't provided by Taylor Swift, Alesha Dixon, Lemar, Natalie Imbruglia (what was the last thing she even released!?!?), Lily Allan, The Saturdays, Will Young etc etc etc. If you make a list of all the crap acts that are on they would will one of the stages for a day, if not 2...what a waste!!!

Even the 'proper' bands (and you KNOW what I mean!) are ones that have seen better days...OCS, James, Oasis

Its a sad day for a once great festival...

Edited by Flaminglippy

If I hadn't bought my ticket already, and I sat down with a list of who was playing at what festival, V would probably be one of the last ones I would chose to buy a ticket for this year. Yes, the people who say that being with your mates in a field in the sunshine is important are right...but I'd rather the soundtrack wasn't provided by Taylor Swift, Alesha Dixon, Lemar, Natalie Imbruglia (what was the last thing she even released!?!?), Lily Allan, The Saturdays, Will Young etc etc etc. If you make a list of all the crap acts that are on they would will one of the stages for a day, if not 2...what a waste!!!

Even the 'proper' bands (and you KNOW what I mean!) are ones that have seen better days...OCS, James, Oasis

Its a sad day for a once great festival...

+1 on what lippy said

This year V seems to have either booked a load of pop bands, bands that are way way past it or MOR bands (or bands from a terrible manchester scene which died yonks back). Over the years there's been a lot of good stuff scattered around e.g sonic youth, the deers, cooper temple clause, brmc etc - this year there's none of that.........

Edited by funkymp

+1. Absolute joke of a line-up. If I don't end up selling my ticket this will definitely be my last V. The line-up is shockingly bad for a 2 day festival, the arena headliners are the worst I can remember...Primal Scream, Ian Brown, Chems, Damian Rice...All acts playing decent sized venue in their own right, this years 'headliners' you could see at any academy venue in the country for a tenner.

There'll always be some f**king idiot coming out with the classic lines 'If you don't like it don't go' or 'I'll have a good time anyway'....I bought a ticket as in the past even if the 1st announcement didn't bear fruit I had confidence based on previous years that there'd be enough on the other stages. Yes, I would probably still have a good time but if the choice is between having a good time & watching some excellent bands or having a good time & enduring teenybopper shite waiting for the first of 2 decent bands on that day it's no contest.

Add the Seasick Steve fiasco & the removal of one of the stages, plus last years massively inadequate facilities & I think it's Leeds again for me.

Thank god for Download.........Line-up of the summer

I think there was just about enough bands on the 1st line up to keep me busy but expected the usual couple of gems in the 2nd and it just hasn't happened.

It's piss poor and I'm so glad I didn't buy a ticket. If I manage to get myself a job and go to a festival it will be either Download, Sonisphere or Reading.

i've complained a little about the constant moaning about the line up, but hey were british, its what we do best.. i think the pop element is defiantly creeping in, but its only natural, "hardcore" festival goers go to reading/leeds & glastonbury so V want to attract the masses in order to sell more tickets!

i still think for all the moaning thats been occurring, everyones gonna have a great time come august :angry:

It does strike me as slightly strange that people find the energy just to come on here to have a grumble. I can understand those early bird buyers could be quite frustrated but V has been going this way for a while.

It's not the first time acts like Will Young or Lemar have been there. We've also had plenty of acts like Mika, Girls Aloud and Sugababes in the past. Of all the festivals V is the most money orientated and less romantic of festivals that will always just go for the easier option when it comes to booking acts just to sell tickets. The fact that people seem so offended by this surprises me.

The way I look at it is there are enough decent acts and bands there to entertain me for a couple of days. The eclectic mix means we might even stumble on someone we find to be unexpectadly good (Busted were quite good a couple of years back - but was I drunk?). There will also be lots of different types of people to meet who are there to see different things and surely that's what festivals are all about.

And trying to be really positive, if you hate all the acts then at least there's less clashes.

If you want to moan have a moan but then just let it go. The same people have been ranting on for ages and just need to chill out. This site gets a bit dull otherwise.

Well this is an open discussion forum. People are entitled to have their opinions be they positive or negative, tough sh*t if you don't agree. Don't like differing opinions, don't use public forums. Simple.