move kaiser chiefs to the tent!

Guest codfish

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kaiserchiefs are big enough for that spot wether or not i like them. Espeically in leeds.

The hatred towards bloc party is because their sound has changed quite dramatically. I dont like that. If it was guaranteed theyd play the first album in full, maybe id consider it, however if i have to listen to Mercury, i think i'd go home. Along with the fact they have the same spot every year. Its just becoming old for Leeds.

And as for KOL I think personally its just because it is them and arctic monkeys, who in general appeal to a similar crowd. Id be more than happy for one or the other to headline, they are both big enough, however, both of them for me gets rid of the diversity. I know you can argue about the rest of the line-up, but the headliners play quite a big part in the general vibe of a festival.

..IMO

Kings of Leon are great.

Especially if you have trouble sleeping. They are one of the few bands that you could fall asleep to while on your feet. They are incredibly boring live. They were boring before their last album and they continue to be boring now.

This is just my opinion.

I went to see The Specials last week and I can honestly say it was one of the best gigs I've been to. Bands less than half their age could learn a lot. The whole venue (every single one) was moving through the whole set. Brilliant perfomance and brilliant set.

Makes KoL seem even duller

It's this mentality that I feel is what defines the difference between fans of "Indie" and fans of hard rock/punk/metal. One (potentially two) poor (but successfull) album(s) and Green Day are suddenly "God Awful". This is why we're limited to a third year of Bloc Party, the "if it's not shiny and new it's worthless". Not pointing fingers here, but when AC/DC were rumoured there was a disturbing amount (a few on here and loads on the official forums) of "past it's" and "no dinosaur bands" flying around.

Green Day have a fantastic back catalogue, "Kerplunk", "Dookie", "Insomniac" and "Nimrod" are quality albums and the rest, while not perfect are not bad either. My only gripe with Green Day has been their post "American Idiot" approach to live setlists, which appear to be attempting to appeal more to the "new and shiny" music fan, I am glad I had the priveledge to see them before AI as the two times I've saw them after it's release they played the entire album and left out previous live favourite "2000 Lightyears" as well as a few other better songs.

In terms of Reading, Foo Fighters, despite being incredibly popular, didn't headline until 2002, 7 years after their first appearance. Showing progress up the stages rather than prematurely being given the headlining spot on a silver platter like, ooh let's say The Arctic Monkeys and to a lesser extent KOL (there has been progress but it's still been fast tracked) :)

As for Deftones, Placebo etc getting more "hype" I'm not sure that's the case. These bands are proven entities, both have 5 albums and have been around for 10 years. The reason they get more attention is because they've earned it. If there were any justice they would be playing above the likes of Kaiser Chiefs (who let's face it, should be at the RBF/LTJ/GLC etc. level of "mid-afternoon novelty band") and Bloc Party

Im just saying bands like Tenacious D, its the whole they never play shows, theyve never played a festival, jack black is god, the epic sing alongs, the epic show they put on and the fact that they could probably sell out quite big venues that makes up for any lack of sales.

I think the size of the venues they cansell out can be just as important as sales too, as well as reputation to certain bands.

Pixies for example haven't really sold many records but you cant argue with them headlining.

Exactly! Just musical snobbery Everyone used to love Bloc Party (well obv not everyone but you get my point) but now they a bit more mainstream everyone is like eurgh bloc party, eurgh Kings of Leon, or this that and the other. A couple of years ago these people would have been raving about them,

agreed KoL have changed their sound which is one reason why people are less fanatic about the new album but Im still going to see them because they do have more than one album and being the headliners im pretty sure that we re going to hear more than one albums worth of music

Bloc Party havnt changed their sound they are still the bloc party I used to rave about and they still are just because they now mainstream doesnt take away from their quality, get a grip people!

Ive never liked kaisers tbh

and funny how this thread was move kaisers etc and turned into a huge FNM debate with barely a mention of the chiefs and then into a appreciation for KoL thread :blink:

It's this mentality that I feel is what defines the difference between fans of "Indie" and fans of hard rock/punk/metal. One (potentially two) poor (but successfull) album(s) and Green Day are suddenly "God Awful". This is why we're limited to a third year of Bloc Party, the "if it's not shiny and new it's worthless". Not pointing fingers here, but when AC/DC were rumoured there was a disturbing amount (a few on here and loads on the official forums) of "past it's" and "no dinosaur bands" flying around.

Green Day have a fantastic back catalogue, "Kerplunk", "Dookie", "Insomniac" and "Nimrod" are quality albums and the rest, while not perfect are not bad either. My only gripe with Green Day has been their post "American Idiot" approach to live setlists, which appear to be attempting to appeal more to the "new and shiny" music fan, I am glad I had the priveledge to see them before AI as the two times I've saw them after it's release they played the entire album and left out previous live favourite "2000 Lightyears" as well as a few other better songs.

Foo Fighters again worked damn hard to get to where they are today. It would have been easy for Dave Grohl to use his Nirvana background to get ahead, but they have never (as far as I know) played any Nirvana songs live, and it's easy to forget that the band started as a bit of fun for Dave and on the first recording he played every instrument!.

In terms of Reading, Foo Fighters, despite being incredibly popular, didn't headline until 2002, 7 years after their first appearance. Showing progress up the stages rather than prematurely being given the headlining spot on a silver platter like, ooh let's say The Arctic Monkeys and to a lesser extent KOL (there has been progress but it's still been fast tracked) :blink:

Pop-punk, not punk. No band that is actually punk will ever headline Reading. Modern punk bands will never get big enough, and classic punk bands reforming would be sellouts, and thus no longer punk.

Green Day's back catalogue is only impressive if you're a fan of pop-punk. Just like KoL's back catalogue is only impressive if you're a fan of their work.

Yes they did, and kudos to them for that, but Foo Fighters sound like a dad rock band nowadays, unfortunately.

While I agree with the principle, this is the first time AM have headlined, and they've got 3 albums now. KoL have been moving up the line up over even longer and are now on their 4th album. The Darkness didn't have the material to headline. Razorlight didn't have the material to headline. But AM have as much original material as Rage, and noone disputed their right to headline

• 2 weeks later...
Im just saying bands like Tenacious D, its the whole they never play shows, theyve never played a festival, jack black is god, the epic sing alongs, the epic show they put on and the fact that they could probably sell out quite big venues that makes up for any lack of sales.

I think the size of the venues they cansell out can be just as important as sales too, as well as reputation to certain bands.

Pixies for example haven't really sold many records but you cant argue with them headlining.

jack black is god? you have to be kidding?

he has been in one decent film.....anchorman.....and that was a cameo appearance. high fidelity was alright too i guess.

he seems to think the LOUDER YOU SHOUT equates to being funnier. sadly, this is not the case.

i never really get the whole comedy bands thing either.

when you listen to a tenacious d/GLC/bloodhound gang etc album, they are funny when you first listen to them. after that they get boring quickly. you wouldn't watch the same episode of my name is earl over and over again and for me it is the same thing!

sorry for being off topic.

robx

jack black is god? you have to be kidding?

he has been in one decent film.....anchorman.....and that was a cameo appearance. high fidelity was alright too i guess.

he seems to think the LOUDER YOU SHOUT equates to being funnier. sadly, this is not the case.

i never really get the whole comedy bands thing either.

when you listen to a tenacious d/GLC/bloodhound gang etc album, they are funny when you first listen to them. after that they get boring quickly. you wouldn't watch the same episode of my name is earl over and over again and for me it is the same thing!

sorry for being off topic.

robx

you dont have to find "comedy" bands songs funny everytime, at the end of the day its music so if you enjoy the music you dont need the comedy, thats just a bonus, i think most of tenacious D stuff is musically brilliant so i dont give a f**k if its funny or not

• 2 weeks later...