Star Wars

Guest nightcrawler13

i LOVE phantom menace, and i cant understand why everyone else in the world hates it :lol:

young annakin is no more annoying then luke, who is a whingey bitch

the gungans are no more stupid and lame then the ewoks

Darth Maul is frackin uber awesome

the pod racers for awesome

the only thing i can think is, i was 12 ( i think ) when it came out, so still young enough to fall into the world and not look at it through cynical eyes?

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

young annakin is no more annoying then luke, who is a whingey bitch - incorrect

the gungans are no more stupid and lame then the ewoks - true, if it were not for Jar-Jar

Darth Maul is frackin uber awesome - You know it!

the pod racers for awesome - No, they were the silliest of side lines out of the six

Edited by worm

I saw Star Wars when I was 10 in 1979 it was one of the first films I ever went to the cinema to see and it was amazing, not just the film but the whole experience :D in the years that followed I went to see sci fi films with my dad it became our thing to do we went to see the next two star wars films, in 1980 Flash Gordon, 1982 Blade Runner, 1984 Terminator, 1986 Aliens, 1991 T2 and 1997 Gattica.

So in 1999 at the age of 30, The Phantom Mence came out and I went to the cinema without my dad who had passed away by then to see what I expected to be a fantastic film. But it couldn't possibly live up to the hyper or the nostalga I felt for the first three films and I think that many people felt the same way, certainly friends my age were very disappointed in it. I'm not sure I was more cynical by then I just expected more from Mr Lucas. I am very glad to see that my cousin who is 20 loves all the Star Wars films although like yourself he prefers the newer ones as he thinks the special effects are better. I have to say I loath Jar jar he is one of the most annoying things I have ever seen :lol:

it can't have been just me thinking, you've all got light sabers, i don't care if he can breathe underwater, slice and dice the alien and cut it's stomach open. Ripping off the hoth scene would've been better than jar jar binks for the whole film. Also, it probably had something to do with all the new characters like mace windu, i felt like shouting you're name's not skywalker so get the f**k out the film! Also that count dooku who was seemingly unstoppable seemed to get battered in a second in the third film, just wasn't star wars.

i LOVE phantom menace, and i cant understand why everyone else in the world hates it :lol:

young annakin is no more annoying then luke, who is a whingey bitch

the gungans are no more stupid and lame then the ewoks

Darth Maul is frackin uber awesome

the pod racers for awesome

the only thing i can think is, i was 12 ( i think ) when it came out, so still young enough to fall into the world and not look at it through cynical eyes?

Edited by Purple Monkey

While I don't HATE Phantom Menace, I think the general anger people have towards it comes from the fact THAT THEY SHOULD GET A LIFE.

The way the Jedi are portrayed as ballerinas in the new films - it's embarrassing watching them twirl about like morons. No, it's class

The stupid robots with the comedy voices do not compare to Imperial Stromtroopers. This is true

Those stupid looking yellow sleek ships do not compare to X-Wings. The baddies didn't even have a solid baddie ship that even came close to the iconic TIE Fighter. The iconic ships were replaced with contrived, artistic w*nk. That's because they aren't meant to be as good or as distinctive

The original film was about a rebel alliance taking on an evil Empire moon-sized doomsday super weapon against all odds. The Phantom Menace was about some false war about taxation of trade routes. What the f*ck? Because it's about the political movements that go before the make up of an Empire

Jar Jar Binks is no replacement for C3PO and R2D2. This is true

The originals have a bigger sense of adventure. Luke going to Mos Eisley was an adventure in itself. The adventure in the new films consisted of pressing the lightspeed button and appearring at yet another pointlessly exotic planet, conveniently populated by brand new action figures. The prequels managed to make the massive universe of the originals seem tiny. This is true

It seemed to concern the Jedi way too much. The originals had a good mix of different characters. I never thought I'd get sick to death of lightsabers but somehow the prequels pulled it off. That's because the world was run by Jedi's as referenced in the originals

The actors in the new films were forced to imagine pretty much everything. Everything is so stilted and without movement - the bit where Anakin is in his pod racer is a good example of how bad it got. At least the shots of Luke in the X-Wing had someone rocking the cockpit to give the illusion that he was moving. hmmm!

Han Solo wasn't in it. Neither was the Falcon. The two best things about Star Wars were completely absent. You'd hate it if it was in

Yoda looks like Yoda's retarded cousin. Graphics are no substitute for puppets

Edited by worm

And as far as filling in gaps and plots go, that wasn't much of an agenda seeing as they cut the formation of the rebel alliance scene from Episode III - probably one of the most important bits of the whole "lets go back and explain it all" attitude.

I too think this is a valid criticism.

I don't see what he could have done other than tell the story he told though. Surely throwing in some truly contrived shit and damaging the time line would have been ridiculous?!

Edited by dakyras

I think people expected far to much. Expected far more than the original films did. If you look at the original films they where hardly the most amazing complex stories where they. Neither was the acting fantastic..
Edited by worm