the future of GuilFest under threat?

Guest eFestivals

Having a year dominated by corporate festivals gives no one else a chance. When a CEO of a large company decides he wants a festival it's solely for money and not for the love of music and performing arts shown by the independent organisers like Tony Scott.

Show your support join the Save Guilfest Facebook Group

I am not shocked that this is happening but the Council do seem to be treating Guilfest very shoddily.

I've said elsewhere that I think Guilfest needs to step-up somehow, improve its status, and find ways of putting on more "noteworthy" acts - I'm not talking about booking U2 or anything stupid......but the next Bon Iver, James Morrison, Arcade Fire, Nick Cave, etc are out there............or maybe even non-music stuff. I think it's suffered from trying to be just a bit too cheap......it needed to say to fans "we HAVE to charge more, both to give more in terms of line-up and to contribute more to the local community"........this would knock-on to upping the ability to attract sponsorship, etc. I am aware of the risk involved here but the bottom line is if a festival can't make money......it HAS to change.

But the council should've gone to Tony Scott, told him about the offer, and sat down with him to talk about how they could help him to bring a bit more status, maybe guarantee the council some sort of income at least. He and the festival have given so much to the area they deserve to be treated far better.

I am not shocked that this is happening but the Council do seem to be treating Guilfest very shoddily.

I've said elsewhere that I think Guilfest needs to step-up somehow, improve its status, and find ways of putting on more "noteworthy" acts - I'm not talking about booking U2 or anything stupid......but the next Bon Iver, James Morrison, Arcade Fire, Nick Cave, etc are out there............or maybe even non-music stuff. I think it's suffered from trying to be just a bit too cheap......it needed to say to fans "we HAVE to charge more, both to give more in terms of line-up and to contribute more to the local community"........this would knock-on to upping the ability to attract sponsorship, etc. I am aware of the risk involved here but the bottom line is if a festival can't make money......it HAS to change.

But the council should've gone to Tony Scott, told him about the offer, and sat down with him to talk about how they could help him to bring a bit more status, maybe guarantee the council some sort of income at least. He and the festival have given so much to the area they deserve to be treated far better.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent news today (10 October) that AEG appear to have withdrawn their proposal for a new Festival that could have spelt the end for Guilfest.

Hopefully that will allow Tony Scott to plan Guilfest 2009 without further hostile rivalry.

Nice when one of the little guys sees off the big commercial concerns.

Well done Tony!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

What is the latest with Guilfest for 2009? :)

Very sad to read this thread & I'm not up to speed with whether this lovely Festival is gonna happen this summer or not. :P

What is the latest with Guilfest for 2009? :P

Very sad to read this thread & I'm not up to speed with whether this lovely Festival is gonna happen this summer or not. :)

yeah, it's going ahead, no problems.

They'd have even been the first line-up announcement by now (which is very unusual this early), but one of the bands they'd booked cancelled on them (with good reason).

First line-up details are normally announced in about March, and I guess it'll be the same this year. Last I heard (a little while back now) they were yet to book headliners.

yeah, it's going ahead, no problems.

They'd have even been the first line-up announcement by now (which is very unusual this early), but one of the bands they'd booked cancelled on them (with good reason).

First line-up details are normally announced in about March, and I guess it'll be the same this year. Last I heard (a little while back now) they were yet to book headliners.