Shangri-La

Guest mr_bizarre

Shangri-La Bars  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which bars did you visit and what would you change?

• Shackney/The Rum Shack
    • The Rum Shack (V.I.P. Louge)
    • Club DADA
    • The Baseline Circus
    • The Pub
    • The Guerilla Bar (Very hidden)
    • I didn't go to Shangri-La
  2. 2. What times of day did you visit Shangri_La

• 12pm - 6pm
    • 6pm - 8pm
    • 8pm - 10pm
    • 10pm - 12am
    • 12am - 2am
    • 2am - 4am
    • 4am - 6am
    • I didn't go to Shangri-La

Hello all!

In body I'm back from Glastonbury and my home for the 6 days, Shangri-La. I've heard lots of possitive and negative things said on the area. It was the first time for all trying to make our mark on Glastonbury, and in all we all think it went very well indeed. We ran 6 bars at Shangri-La and I'd love some feed back from the most important people at Glastonbury, you!

Aside from the poll I'd like to know:

1. Were the bar staff friendly?

2. Were they efficient?

3. Did you eat there and what was it like?

4. Did you think the one way system was a good idea?

5. If you were boss what would you change?

Many thanks for your time, lets hope this information can be used realistically for making Shangri-La a better place to be next year.

P.s. - I'm quite sure next years Shangri-La will be in the same place (as per Debs & Mark) and therefore be the same size, please understand that once the headliners had finished and a million people decided that they would migrate up the hill then it would all seem a bit crowded, this cannot be helped and may never be eleviated, this is also why on most nights Shangri-La stayed open till 6am

Edited by mr_bizarre

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my only gripe is that the "traditional" pub that was supposed to be full of real ales and ciders had less choice than the bimble inn....and no scrumpy (at least when i was there)! if you're gonna make a real pub, stock it with real booze, not Gaymers and Addlestones!

the beer garden was beautiful though :D

didn't really see enough of anywhere else to give feedback....

my only gripe is that the "traditional" pub that was supposed to be full of real ales and ciders had less choice than the bimble inn....and no scrumpy (at least when i was there)! if you're gonna make a real pub, stock it with real booze, not Gaymers and Addlestones!

the beer garden was beautiful though :D

didn't really see enough of anywhere else to give feedback....

i went shangri-la quite a few times at different times mainly between 10 and 4am - didn't go in any bars though, the queues seemed too long

ended up at the love shack which is now my most favourite 'pub' on site

shangri-la is a top place though

edit: just realised i may have got the name wrong and it may be on your list?

Edited by shavenhaven

I was quite disappointed with the Pub - everything i wanted had run out, the bar staff only wanted to serve boys, to the point that i had been waiting for so long, a lad waiting actually let me go first. The staff were slow and rather frustrating. Absolutely loved the rest of Shangri-la thought it complemented Trash City very well

i went shangri-la quite a few times at different times mainly between 10 and 4am - didn't go in any bars though, the queues seemed too long

ended up at the love shack which is now my most favourite 'pub' on site

shangri-la is a top place though

edit: just realised i may have got the name wrong and it may be on your list?

The changing names of Club Dada were very confusing, myself and a friend went up on Friday night to see Robyn Hitchcock and no stewards could tell us where "Last Man Standing" was, even the ones there on the tent. It's fun to have quirky things to find out but this was very frustrating. So I think you need to make sure there is a big sign displaying the name outside the tent each night.

I thought the stage designs were extremely impressive and the whole place had a good atmosphere, I did feel a little unsure about what different tents were though.

I was quite disappointed with the Pub - everything i wanted had run out, the bar staff only wanted to serve boys, to the point that i had been waiting for so long, a lad waiting actually let me go first. The staff were slow and rather frustrating. Absolutely loved the rest of Shangri-la thought it complemented Trash City very well

We went to Trash City on the Saturday night but due to it being too crowded we headed back to our tent (it was 2am mind :D ). So we went to Trash City and then Shangri-la on the Sunday night whilst the headlines were still performing and it was great!

Despite there being less people and more often than not, hardly anyone in the various places (upset down disco / tilted house) we just went in there and had a boogie and it just felt right. Despite the lack of people at the time, it didn't seem as if the party hadn't started. The DJ's were still banging out tunes that made you wanna dance.

1. Were the bar staff friendly?

Yes :D

2. Were they efficient?

Yes :P

3. Did you eat there and what was it like?

No :)

4. Did you think the one way system was a good idea?

Yes :)

5. If you were boss what would you change?

Nothing :D

....well more beer options would be good :)

Edited by oafc0000

Wasn't the tilted disco in shangri la as well? If so i thought it was a dissapointment. It wasn't tilted at all. It was on a slight hill with an upsidedown tv on the wall. I was expecting something a lot more trippy freak me out.

Overall though I thought it was better than Lost Vagueness

The changing names of Club Dada were very confusing, myself and a friend went up on Friday night to see Robyn Hitchcock and no stewards could tell us where "Last Man Standing" was, even the ones there on the tent. It's fun to have quirky things to find out but this was very frustrating. So I think you need to make sure there is a big sign displaying the name outside the tent each night.

I thought the stage designs were extremely impressive and the whole place had a good atmosphere, I did feel a little unsure about what different tents were though.

I totally agree! I was told there'd be real ales there, but this didn't happen, the Pub would've made much more money if this was the case. I will be bringing it up at the next WBC meeting thanks :D

perhaps also bring up that WBC seem to be able provide enough of that horrible piss (better known as lager) but ALWAYS manage to run out of what some people really want to drink.

Now I know that you have to keep the sponsors happy and sell their piss to as many people as can be forced to drink it, but it's taking the piss that there's a deliberate policy of not having enough ale to satisfy the demand for ale so that people end up having to drink that horrible piss.

There are no valid excuses for this policy - yes, I know you'll come back with the standard excuse, but it is just an excuse and is not a valid reason. It *CAN* be done properly *IF* wbc want to do it properly. If that means pissing off your piss-selling sponsors then piss them off.

Edited by eFestivals

Wasn't the tilted disco in shangri la as well? If so i thought it was a dissapointment. It wasn't tilted at all. It was on a slight hill with an upsidedown tv on the wall. I was expecting something a lot more trippy freak me out.

Overall though I thought it was better than Lost Vagueness

I thoroughly enjoyed Shangri La. I too wasn't sure what some of the tents were called. (I saw a band in a yellow tent opposite Bassline circus around midnight Sun that were great and I'd like to know who they are.) I used the bar in Bassline Circus quite a few times when I was close by as it was fairly easy to get in and out of and I never had to wait long for a drink. I did go to a couple of other bars in SL but don't know what they were called. All staff I came across were great and prices weren't too bad.

The only thing I thought was a bit strange was security putting up barriers on the railway line to slow the crowd. It's a dark spot that has fairly steep sides and seemed to be completely pointless.

perhaps also bring up that WBC seem to be able provide enough of that horrible piss (better known as lager) but ALWAYS manage to run out of what some people really want to drink.

Now I know that you have to keep the sponsors happy and sell their piss to as many people as can be forced to drink it, but it's taking the piss that there's a deliberate policy of not having enough ale to satisfy the demand for ale so that people end up having to drink that horrible piss.

There are no valid excuses for this policy - yes, I know you'll come back with the standard excuse, but it is just an excuse and is not a valid reason. It *CAN* be done properly *IF* wbc want to do it properly. If that means pissing off your piss-selling sponsors then piss them off.

On that, it would've been good if it was more obvious that the glasses were essential. Because, to be honest, I thought the tilted disco was a bit rubbish without them ... but with them it was insane! (And maybe give them out free, or have a deposit system or something?)

I thoroughly enjoyed Shangri La. I too wasn't sure what some of the tents were called. (I saw a band in a yellow tent opposite Bassline circus around midnight Sun that were great and I'd like to know who they are.) I used the bar in Bassline Circus quite a few times when I was close by as it was fairly easy to get in and out of and I never had to wait long for a drink. I did go to a couple of other bars in SL but don't know what they were called. All staff I came across were great and prices weren't too bad.

The only thing I thought was a bit strange was security putting up barriers on the railway line to slow the crowd. It's a dark spot that has fairly steep sides and seemed to be completely pointless.