am i the only one who hopes

Guest greeneyes1980

Because he is.

I watch Tennis all year round including the minor competitions. Nadal is an all surface player, the first of this ilk. Federer is only favourite against him on grass. You should watch a little more than Wimbledon. Clay is far more entertaining these days anyway.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's 4 semi finals in one tournament over about ten years or so. There are 3 other major tournaments per year, which he did pretty much f**k all in. He was nothing special. And his volley was nothing on many players, such as Rafter, Philoppousis, Hewitt and Agassi. The only reason he is even mentioned is because he's English. Do you remember a guy called Karim Alami, I doubt it, well he was better and won more accolades than Henman, yet no one even knows him primarily because he's Moroccan. He was exciting to watch as well, unlike Henman and his lil' victory punch.

I want Murray to win - dont think he will mind. I support any British sportsmen or teams and I cant stand people who just bitterly want people like Murray to lose because he's Scottish, which is the same sort of thing as Jocks who want England to lose at anything in which they compete.

This is one of the most preposterous posts ever. Rafael Nadal hasn't even made the final of the US OPEN or the Australian and has yet to win Wimbledon. Federer has 3 Australian Open titles, 5 successive Wimbledon titles, 4 successive US OPEN titles and is a 3 time French Open runner up yet you state that Nadal is the all surface player and Federer is favourite against him only on grass???!!!!!!!! I'm sorry mate but thats the most stupid thing i have ever read. Don't try and defend yourself because i've just obliterated your theory. Apologise, retract and move on.
Edited by worm

I want Murray to win - dont think he will mind. I support any British sportsmen or teams and I cant stand people who just bitterly want people like Murray to lose because he's Scottish, which is the same sort of thing as Jocks who want England to lose at anything in which they compete.

Nadal turned 22 last month. That's another ten years to go.

He's been to two Wimbledon finals in two years being beaten by the current *champion of grass* (only because Sampras who is infinitely better decided he hated the game and so retired). That's better than Lendl, the clay expert. As a Spaniard, Nadal trained and began his career as a clay expert, but unlike others of his ilk, he is translating to grass to compensate for the big serve and volley game making him a pioneer of a new age of all surface tennis.

You have to bring into account that Federer has been unchallenged on all surfaces ever since Sampras retired. Until now. And not only does Nadal have to contend with Federer throughout tournaments, but he also has the very real threat of Djorkavic (another burgeoning all rounder).

No retraction, no apology, no moving on.

There is shame in him being a national treasure. Unless mediocrity is what England stands for. You may have a point. :D

Average player.

No it's not. It's because they were shit. The game was primarily serve and volley throughout his reign. Every grass court tennis player has to master a very particular style - serve and volley of late. No one could overcome Federer because he had countered the serve and volley successfully. Well, Nadal and Djorkavic have changed the style with success bringing that of clay court to grass for the first time. Federer is hanging on by his nails and he knows it.

Sampras was the best grass court player going. Look at who he beat for gods sake.

Edited by King Blue

Who is more pleasing on the eye though?Federer plays with an elegance and magnificence which Sampras can only dream of. Federer would've dominated,no matter what era he came through in. His forehand is absolutely sublime. He's managed to maintain his Wimbledon title for 5 years in a row.
Edited by worm

He's played no one. An unseeded serve and volley no hoper, a seeded and fairly average serve and volleyer and a then inexperienced Nadal, who on the last occasion was extremely unlucky and really shouldn't have been given Federer's rep.

Federer is not a genius. I find that laughable. He has an image of grace, but its easy to be graceful when the competition keeps playing the exact same way - the way you want them to. Federer is a product of coaching. Honed to play a style that the serve and volleyers could not overcome. If anyone's a genius its the stylists that fashioned him.

Edited by King Blue