Getting to Glastonbury

Guest jumboclark

I like the flexibility a car gives you - you can leave when you want, get there when you want, take what you want. I can imagine that there must be quite a good atmosphere on the coach or train on the way down though. This late the prices tend to have crept up a bit but then when petrol's so expensive, if you are in a car on your own, pulic transport might be more economical.

Car! But if you are going alone give someone a lift, look on the liftshare page.

• 11 months later...

I'm going by Motorbike again this year, which is good. You can't take as much gear as in a car but you can get in and out much quicker and easier. The problem with Driving / Riding as opposed totrain / bus, etc. is the Monday drive / ride back, which when you've had an intense weekend, is harder than you'd imagine :blink:

I'm going by Motorbike again this year, which is good. You can't take as much gear as in a car but you can get in and out much quicker and easier. The problem with Driving / Riding as opposed totrain / bus, etc. is the Monday drive / ride back, which when you've had an intense weekend, is harder than you'd imagine :blink:

Driving is the most convenient as you can decide when to come & go, take as much as you need & share the journey with your gang.

Bus & Train are easy if you don't want the hassle / cost of driving, but the downside can be in waiting for ages & being rammed into buses & train coaches.

Cycling down is really not recommended unless you are very fit. I tried it one year with 2 super fit mates. I suffered. :O

Hey im driving down from essex too, iv only been glasto once in 07 and that was by coach, just wondered if you can help me by telling me the quickest way there? the website says take the A404 but i remember the coach doing the M4 and M5 route which way would you say is the best, much appreciated.

For people getting the train, make sure you play around to get yourself the cheapest possible price rather than just putting the two destinations and settling for whatever price they quote you.

To give you an idea of what I mean, I have a lift to the festival, but have to get a train back, from Castle Cary to Plymouth.

Checked the price today and it was £40 for a single. As a matter of interest I then checked how much the same journey would cost it I got single tickets from Castle Cary to Taunton and then Taunton to Plymouth (bearing in mind the CC to Plym train stops at Taunton anyway).

CC to Taunton was £7.50 and Taunton to Plymouth was £8.50, and whats more, I don't even have to get off the train! £24 saved for exactly the same journey, and the only inconvenience (if you could call it that) is I will probably have to change seats at Taunton... hardly a chore for £24!

So yeah, look at what stops are in between your 2 destinations, and see if you can get yourself a bargain by getting 2 or more single tickets rather than 1 for the complete journey.

I swear the train companys just make up the prices on the fly!