Y-Not Festival 2015

5co77ie

I wish. Their facebook/twitter feeds are peppered with folks asking for running times. It would be great if they could get them out today, so we can spend a little time over the weekend working a couple of things out.

They are up now on Facebook.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah no other major problems. The Clashfinder site has a YNot listing which makes things a lot clearer (if you ignore the fact that they have Saint Raymond playing after themselves!)

Looks good,

There'll be no trouble getting tentpegs in the ground after today, that's for sure.

Yeah no other major problems. The Clashfinder site has a YNot listing which makes things a lot clearer (if you ignore the fact that they have Saint Raymond playing after themselves!)

Looks good,

There'll be no trouble getting tentpegs in the ground after today, that's for sure.

Forecast appears to be raining constantly until Weds, then cloudy/sunny for the duration of the fest. I'd be happy with that!

So, that was my first YNot. Wasn't sure on arrival. 3 levels of security on the gate and over-keen stewards preventing alcohol in the arenas seemed a little unfriendly but it might just have been us feeling impatient after a very slow crawl in traffic up to Pikehall.

After that, everything was excellent. Friendly atmosphere, short walks between stages (the descriptions on here were spot on cheers), good sound quality, decent beer choice and most importantly some cracking bands.

Mostly enjoyed Bohicas, Kagoule, Bo Ningen, Trash, Slaves, Hacktivist, enjoyable nonsense from Snoop and Super Furry Animals.

Minor gripes-a bit of info about the Allotment bands in the otherwise spot-on programme might have given some of them a bigger crowd, and who turned the sound down on what was a cracking set from Primal Scream?

It properly reminded me why i like smaller festivals.See you next year!

So, that was my first YNot. Wasn't sure on arrival. 3 levels of security on the gate and over-keen stewards preventing alcohol in the arenas seemed a little unfriendly but it might just have been us feeling impatient after a very slow crawl in traffic up to Pikehall.

After that, everything was excellent. Friendly atmosphere, short walks between stages (the descriptions on here were spot on cheers), good sound quality, decent beer choice and most importantly some cracking bands.

Exactly the same here. Felt so old on arrival. Can understand why the security was so tight given the average age of the crowd seemed to be about 12. Despite that, did seem to be an awful lot of pissed teenagers at all times of the day. Generally good natured though. Only got hit by one pint of piss which is a bonus.

Very much enjoyed Vent, Allusondrugs, SFA, Slaves, OCS, Johnny Marr, Basement Jaxx & Snoop. Primals were OK apart from Bobby Gillespie acting like a petulant 15 year old. Find of the weekend was a beatbox fella who I think was called 'Mighty Mouth' who didnt appear to be on the lanyards but we accidentally saw twice, he was excellent.

Tough call next year between returning to Kendal or doing Y Not again!       

Edited by Flaminglippy

Third Y Not, and probably my least favourite of the three. That’s not to say I thought it was shit or anything, far from it, but there were definitely more gripes this year. Atmosphere seemed less friendly overall, from the security to the stall-holders to some of the more belligerent pissed up teenagers strutting about, pushing parents with kids out the way so they could get to the front of a band that haven’t had a radio hit in about fifteen years.

The food was also nowhere near as good as in previous years – hardly anything for anyone on a special diet and the choice overall wasn’t as varied as previously, which is surprising given they’ve obviously whacked a few thousand extra people onto the capacity. Anywhere half decent, like the pie place, then had pretty long queues.

Toilets queues, even out in the campsites, were sometimes a bit of a farce. It was almost like they had actually reduced the numbers, which is baffling given the capacity increase.

Having said all that, Y Not still gets an awful lot right and its modest size is, to my mind, absolutely perfect. I’m not sure I like the layout where the arena is split in two, but I’m sure they have their reasons. A solid 7/10 kind of weekend.

Well, it was an excellent one for me!  I must confess I barely visited the main stage, but thought there were some belters on the other stages.  We Are Scientists nailed it (Pineapple!), PABH, Woahnows, Solemn Sun, Allusondrugs (credit to flaminglippy), Bo Ningen, LTA (great end to the festival), Zoax (a discovery) and many others - all IMHO of course.

In terms of organisation, the family camping area - though dramatically increased in size - was well run, and the entrance and separate parking area was a joy.  Personally I found the security once again to be spot on.  They have a difficult job to do - and from what I could see they handled themselves well, making some great risk-based decisions.  Personally only saw one real example of people being manhandled out of the area, and I saw that back in 2012 as well - so plus ca change.

Toilets - whilst I would agree there seemed to be fewer than in previous years, were (the ones I visited) nearly always clean, sometimes spotless and never unusable.  I did hear people complaining about the lack of toilet roll - but seriously - it's a festival.  If you don't go prepared you are being a bit of a muppet.  Anything in place is a bonus!

I thought the food was similar to last year - in fact many of the stalls were identical.  But there was some good stuff there!  I was amazed at the quality of the fish I had from the fish and chip place.  As good as anything I have had outside Yorkshire, and that's saying something since I am from Lancashire!  I would agree though it was a shame not to have a bit more variety - or perhaps, a different variety from last year.

All in all for me, a great festival.  Thank you ynot.

My 2nd time in a row and loved it again.

Last year I went with my girlfriend so had a slightly quieter one but this year I went with 2 friends and had a manic time reminding me of being back in my teens/ early 20's but in a good way.

I always found the toilets respectable and mostly clean although there did seem like less.

The food was about as good as last year although I did find the Katsu curry was amazing and the pasta very poor.

Where we were in the campsite (rock and roll I think, not far from the water tap) was quality atmosphere. Yeah there was a few too many youngsters drinking too much or doing too much drugs but it all seemed good natured. We also met 3 people from Manchester who were sound and a good laugh.

I found the atmosphere in the festival site also generally good natured and a fair amount of space at each stage and we managed to get in there each time with cans of larger and we didn't get searched once and didn't see many people getting searched too bad.

As far as bands went I loved Best Friends, Vant, Tellison, Slaves, Ash, Beans on Toast, Genghar, Johnny Marr, Brawlers, Less than Jake, We are Scientists and especially Ocean Colour Scene. I have to say I was disappointed with Super Furry Animals and Primal Scream, I think they took too long to play their more upbeat songs and hits and Primal Scream were quiet. Snoop Dog was quality comedy genius.

Overall I am more than happy to go back again next year. The bands that they get and the amount of them they get is brilliant for the price. I live down south and find it easy to get to and home and I would give it a 8/10.