This ''Backdoor access''

Guest A Weekend In The City

Ahh, are you referring to (the linux equivalent of) Host Header Translation? I believe See use IIS, so they would be able to use this. The IP gets you to the IIS Server, but then IIS reads the URI stem from the address field delivered via the http get request from the browser in order to direct to one or more hostnames for that particular Domain that it is serving. Thus, if you banged in the IP, IIS would read the IP where it expects a <hostname>.<domainname> string but then it would not know which virtual server to route the request to.

Ahh, are you referring to (the linux equivalent of) Host Header Translation? I believe See use IIS, so they would be able to use this. The IP gets you to the IIS Server, but then IIS reads the URI stem from the address field delivered via the http get request from the browser in order to direct to one or more hostnames for that particular Domain that it is serving. Thus, if you banged in the IP, IIS would read the IP where it expects a <hostname>.<domainname> string but then it would not know which virtual server to route the request to.

I wouldn't know the technical names for these sorts of things, but that sounds just about right for what I've been trying to explain. :)

It's defo not the case that only one domain can exist in the DNS for any IP.

It would certainly explain why editing the hosts file would work over typing the IP into the browser address field. Yes, we have one IIS box here hosting about 32 sites on the same IP. We also have another IIS box hosting different sites where each site is on a different IP and each IP is mapped to the adapter on that box - so one host, multiple IP's - then internally IIS routes to the correct site via IP requested. Some development ones can be accessed by adding a port number (e.g. 192.168.0.10:81). Some of our public ones use Host Header http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/883a9544-3f70-4d46-a6df-bbadbd1fe7de.mspx?mfr=true to direct to different virtual hostnames for the same Domain (www.domain.com, glastonbury.domain.com etc.).

Pinhead, i too am confused... you are correct using the IP addy should just take you to the web site. It should go -. look in cache -> then hosts file-> then ISP DNS -then next DNS then -> .com putting in the IP address in the address bar should have given the same results - it did not for me - wonder if this was all just a coincidence DNS changes take time to propagate ...