Sziget 2011

Guest kaisherz

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day -3 / Sat 6: camping opens (additional wristband required for this night, available on site)

Day -2 / Sun 7: (additional wristband required for this night, available on site)

Day -1 / Mon 8: arrival of majority of guests, some minor acts performing at some stages

Day 0 / Tue 9: nearly full program at main stage

Day 1 / Wed 10: official start of festival, full program on all stages

Day 5 / Sun 14: last day and night of festival, be sure to check Dutch Kees de Hondt's Mulatsag party

Mon 15: stages and facilities are being dismantled early on, camping ground is being evacuated

Hi everyone!

Going to Sziget for the first time this year! We've done Benicassim twice so thought we'd try something new!

We're travelling from Ireland. Did anyone else flying from Dublin find it really difficult to find reasonably priced flights?! We have to pay nearly 300 euro return and we tried so many different routes and none are much cheaper! We havent booked yet, but will be this week.

We are thinking of going over on the 5th and spending 3 nights in the city in a hostel then head to the camping grounds on the 8th. Will we still get a good spot if we go on the 8th or should we go on the 7th?

Is there anywhere to swim at the festival grounds besides the VIP swimming pool? Water is the best hangover cure! haha!

Thanks

Exciiiiiited :)

I'm not flying from Dublin, but tickets have been for sale since December so it's no surprise to me all the reasonable flight prices are long gone.

You can still get a good spot on the 8th, but come early (before noon) because this is the day of mass arrivals.

There is no place to swim at the festival grounds besides the VIP swimming pool, but there are various baths and pools nearby in Budapest including a nice pool on the adjecent Margit island.

I'm not flying from Dublin, but tickets have been for sale since December so it's no surprise to me all the reasonable flight prices are long gone.

You can still get a good spot on the 8th, but come early (before noon) because this is the day of mass arrivals.

There is no place to swim at the festival grounds besides the VIP swimming pool, but there are various baths and pools nearby in Budapest including a nice pool on the adjecent Margit island.

Clover, I'm going from Dublin, and the reason the flights are so expensive is that Ryanair stopped flying there. So the only choices direct are AerLingus and Malev.

Oh I know that, Sziget was kind of a last minute decision for us. I'm just surprised because flights from Dublin to Budapest used to be really cheap and resonable and they just don't seem to be anymore, no matter when you book them!

Are you not able to swim in the river? or is that a really stupid question haha

I'm flying from Manchester, got it for £188 including all the fees and taxes with Jet2. Making the most of it and going from the 6th-16th, the extra day is mainly cos there are no flights back to Manchester that day but I think a night in a BnB will go down a treat after over a week in a tent.

So excited now, the lineup's impressive but there's a distinct lack of punk rock!

The lineup isnt good enough for me this year :(

Its a great festival with a great atmosphere and great weather which makes the lineup not so important as it is for the uk festivals I go to, but I still cant justify the cost of the flights and week long accommodation I would need to go, with this lineup. :(

Fingers crossed for next year.

The lineup isnt good enough for me this year :(

Its a great festival with a great atmosphere and great weather which makes the lineup not so important as it is for the uk festivals I go to, but I still cant justify the cost of the flights and week long accommodation I would need to go, with this lineup. :(

Fingers crossed for next year.

Last year I brought a small tent but bought sleeping bag and inflatable bed over there, this year I might also buy my tent there.

There's a huge Auchan supermarket at walking distance from the entrance and they do have a great selection of camping gear for us. I am however not entirely sure about the availability of tents, the Auchan website lists several, but I'll have to investigate further to make sure they are available on site.

Edited by Capzilla

Last year I brought a small tent but bought sleeping bag and inflatable bed over there, this year I might also buy my tent there.

There's a huge Auchan supermarket at walking distance from the entrance and they do have a great selection of camping gear for us. I am however not entirely sure about the availability of tents, the Auchan website lists several, but I'll have to investigate further to make sure they are available on site.

I saw ssomething the other day saying not long until the full programme will be released. I tyhink they may be trying to finalise a couple of acts.

In all, Im actually pretty dissapointed with the lineup, but for me its more than a festival, as we're staying in an apartment in Central from the Monday til the Monday!

I really like the line-up. Of course I also see that there are not that many big acts, but there are many smaller acts that are really worth going to. The Maccabees, The National, Gogol Bordello, Mariachi El Bronx, Kode9, The Gaslamp Killer and many more. That many nice smaller bands is much better than having a big headliner in my opinion!

I'm very happy to be able to see Baskerville again, they were brilliant last year! The line-up of the Roma Stage and the Metal Stage is the best in years, there are some great acts performing on the World Music Stage and also I saw there are a lot of nice bands on the new Europe Stage. You should check them out on Youtube! Or wait, I'll help you a bit... ;)

My top 3 of acts that I'm most looking forward to per stage:

Main Stage:

Gogol Bordello

World Music Stage:

A38 Stage:

(with footage of their Sziget 2010 gig)

Metal Stage:

Party Arena:

2manydjs

Europe Stage:

Roma Stage:

And

on the Reggae Stage is great too!

What are your favorites?

Edited by Cristall

i think motorhead and judas priest are worth a shout. kasabian put on a great live show usually. i too will be heading to see gogol bordello and interpol are an absolute must for me.

still hoping for the foo fighters to be added as a main act but as it stands, it might not be bursting with the usual big names but there's enough to keep me entertained! :D