My last Guilfest

Guest Johnny Echo Echo

Weird that i made it all up - seeing as it was all over the local press, the council (which thinking about it, I work for) had loads of complaints and Tony Scott issued an apology.

But you're right, my friends are all idiots and wastes of space who imagined overfowing toilets, collapsing speakers and a line-up that was ska and unsigned band dominated.....and brought their kids home for the fun of it.

I only hope the festival organisers do not have their heads as tightly rectum-wedged as your good self and actually sort it out....because, as I think I've made very clear, I would absolutely love a reason to go back.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weird that i made it all up - seeing as it was all over the local press, the council (which thinking about it, I work for) had loads of complaints and Tony Scott issued an apology.

yep, for puiddles of piss, and not what you've claimed. :P

But you're right, my friends are all idiots and wastes of space who imagined overfowing toilets, collapsing speakers and a line-up that was ska and unsigned band dominated.....and brought their kids home for the fun of it.

the problems for overflowing toilets were limited to the entrance and just the entrance. The only time a person would encounter them was on entering or leaving.

A speaker blew down (it didn't 'collapse') on the Friday into a safe space (there was no risk to the attendees), before things started; the plastic banner that acted like a sail was removed and the problem was sorted. There were no further incidents.

The line-up had some ska - they'd have known that before attending. It certainly wasn't "dominated" by it (just count the acts). It wasn't unsigned dominated (just count the acts).

I only hope the festival organisers do not have their heads as tightly rectum-wedged as your good self and actually sort it out....because, as I think I've made very clear, I would absolutely love a reason to go back.

I've explained the FACTS. You're aware of those same FACTS as you've obviously seen Tony's apology.

So why are you making stuff up??

Edited by eFestivals

What are you on....my first post was trying to be constructive (and didn't say anything THAT different from the originator of this thread or others)....it was only when you insulted my friends that I got a bit vitriolic.......now you're insulting their children?!??!?!?!!??!?!?!!??!?!

Jees....get yourself some happy pills!

What are you on....my first post was trying to be constructive (and didn't say anything THAT different from the originator of this thread or others)....it was only when you insulted my friends that I got a bit vitriolic.......now you're insulting their children?!??!?!?!!??!?!?!!??!?!

Jees....get yourself some happy pills!

you made a number of claims of why you/your friends think it crap, but your claims are simply not matched by the facts. Either I allow your false claims to go unchallenged, or I state why they are false claims as I have done, using the fact to demonstrate why they're false

And YES, they ARE false claims. There were no puddles of shit; there was not a line-up dominated by ska; there was not a line-up dominated by unsigned bands.

You said your friends left early because of these things, but then admit that your friends left early because of a crying six-year old. I can only guess from that that that six-year old has very defined music tastes, and isn't a fan of ska, and is able to distinguish which bands are signed and which aren't. :P

Get over yourself, really.

Edited by eFestivals

errrrr....none of this was in my first post....which led you to insult my friends.

I've already admitted I got a bit vitriolic after that......but, frankly, if a toilet overflows who the hell cares what comes out of it? And there weren't just problems at the main entrance I've seen some pretty bad photos from inside the campsite.

As for your facts.....Guilfest has two stages of unsigned bands.....and I LIKE this....I've been in there having a ball. But in 2006 and 2007 there were also several unsigned acts on the second stage and in the rockcave thingy......that meant that over half of the bands at the festival were unsigned and i (just like Alfie Reefer by the way) think that is a bit too much. especially when there is a vibrant "indie" scene out there with loads of fantastic young bands on little labels striving for attention.

And it was Johnny echo echo whatever who referred to it as the "SKA Weekender".....without your vitriol.

Edited by geofelgie

errrrr....none of this was in my first post....which led you to insult my friends.

you firstly said they left because of these things. Eventually you said they left because of a crying six year old and not those things. Which rather goes to prove that any "insults" (which were actually only corrections to your untrue 'facts') I made were rather relevant. :P

I said that what you put forwards said more about your friends than it did Guilfest, and as this convo has progressed you've proven that as correct. Then you've said I'm insulting a six-year old ..... yet is there any six-year old ever that's not been a miserable kid at times? I understand why a miserable six-year old might well make the group decide to leave but that doesn't suddenly make the whole festival crap, it just makes that group decide that their experience wasn't good overall - but in part at least due to a miserable six year old and not things the fest was responsible for.

Edited by eFestivals

Ok lets go through this very slowly......here is my first post again:

I switched to Latitude last year simply because the quality of the line up dipped alarmingly for the second year in a row. So fortunately I missed last years debarcle.

What i find amusing is some years ago there was a silly little one day festival in a park in Reigate headlined by Voulez Vous.....Guilfest made comments in the local press when it was announced (just before guilfest took place if I recall) saying ....Come to a real festival....type stuff......and stated that you'd never see tribute acts at GuilFest........ now you have one headlining!!!!!! And i suspect the "From the Jam" twollocks will be the main draw.

Got into a bit of an argument with Neil recently about this so I've checked up on my facts......I know 23 people who went to Guilfest last year (not including kids etc) and not one of them enjoyed last year. That is NONE. what i didn't realise is that seven of them left early....a couple of them quite early on the Saturday.

This is such a shame....I used to really love this festival.....this festival got me into festivals!!!! But the booking the last couple of years has got so tired they really should either give it up or get someone in to do it for them.

So, I'm not going to say never because I would be so made up if they did sort it out, but I wont be back this year. The worrying thing is I live 12 miles away, I'm music obsessed, I hang around with other music-obsessives, but I don't know a single person who is intending to go to Guilfest this year - as i say 23 last year, it must've been well over 50 in 2005. And tired old blondie and a covers band are not going to change anyones mind.

so go on then....where are the wild claims?????....where are the lies/falsehoods?????

All I said was that after our last run-in....I've been talking to people to check that the impression I got from last year was true.....and, I'm very sorry to say, it damn well was. I was shocked to hear that people left early....can't imagine that myself.....but it damn well happened. For you to then say.....that says more about your friends.....just wound me up....these people are nurses, teachers, librarians and musicians. And they all live local to Guildford and they and I are very unhappy with the way the festival is going.....as it seems are several other people who posted here....funny how you didn't lay into them............

.....oh, but of course, they didn't mention the "L" word!

I switched to Latitude last year simply because the quality of the line up dipped alarmingly for the second year in a row.

that's your personal opinion based on your own tastes. For what Guilfest aims to offer it was the strongest line-up for several years at least.

Got into a bit of an argument with Neil recently about this so I've checked up on my facts......I know 23 people who went to Guilfest last year (not including kids etc) and not one of them enjoyed last year. That is NONE. what i didn't realise is that seven of them left early....a couple of them quite early on the Saturday.

so you know 23 people that went to Guilfest with the same limited tastes and closed mind as yourself. Again, it says nothing about Guilfest and everything about personal musical tastes - so it says something about your friends and not Guilfest. The fact that Guilfest sold more tickets shows the line-up last year was more appealing to more people than previously.

Those of your friends who left early on the Saturday did because of a miserable kid and not because of Guilfest, as you've since admitted.

But the booking the last couple of years has got so tired they really should either give it up or get someone in to do it for them.

translation: me and my mates can only like acts if nme has told us it's OK to like them.

I'm music obsessed, I hang around with other music-obsessives, but I don't know a single person who is intending to go to Guilfest this year - as i say 23 last year, it must've been well over 50 in 2005.

translation: me and my mates get more musically narrow minded each each year goes by.

so go on then....where are the wild claims?????....where are the lies/falsehoods?????

in your other posts, where you make the false claims as to why your friends left and then finally admit that those claoms were wrong and it was because of a miserable kid.

All I said was that after our last run-in....I've been talking to people to check that the impression I got from last year was true.....and, I'm very sorry to say, it damn well was. I was shocked to hear that people left early....can't imagine that myself.....but it damn well happened. For you to then say.....that says more about your friends.....just wound me up....these people are nurses, teachers, librarians and musicians. And they all live local to Guildford and they and I are very unhappy with the way the festival is going.....as it seems are several other people who posted here....funny how you didn't lay into them............

You must know all the people that left early then, cos when Madness played on the last night (with the site at it's worst from the bogs cock up) it was the most rammed that Guilfest has ever been. This is simply the truth.... and so it comes back to your friends and not Guilfest.

Guilfest has never been about cutting edge line-ups. At least since 2000 (and probably before) it's had line-ups of the style that it has now, of classic acts and breaking (not "unsigned") bands on the main stages

Yes, Blondie this year is a bit old hat - I moaned at Tony about them when he told me he'd put in an offer for them because he's had them before and fairly recently. Even the Levs is a bit that way, but seeing as Tony started the festival in the first place because he wanted to put on the Levs and they've been back nearly every year since in one guise or other it's hardly a shock (and they're having a renaissance now anyway, as can be seen by their current popularity). Aus Pink Floyd might not be cuttting edge either but (I've never seen them) by all accounts they're stunning: if they weren't then they simply wouldn't sell bigger tours with higher ticket prices than many supposed "huge" bands (such as all of this year's "L" headliners :P) year on year on year on year. But these are the acts that attract the Guilfest crowd - without that crowd there's no fest, because trying to put on trendy bands simply doesn't work in Guildford (hence no major gig venue, and Guilfest having gone bust previously).

The headliners this year - and all of this first announcement - is typical Guilfest. It's just seven bands of a line-up of around 90 signed acts (plus the unsigned). It might not sell tickets to you or your musically narrow minded mates, but it makes Guilfest work.

Edited by eFestivals

in case anyone is wondering (and not bored rigid by this tirade) this is what efestivals calls "musically narrow minded":

"Sure I've posted similar lists on other threads but here goes.......

Sigur Ros

British Sea Power

Explosions in the Sky

The Twilight Sad

Maria Mckee

Rilo Kiley

My Morning Jacket

The Polyphonic Spree

glasvegas

Little Man Tate

Dogs

those Dancing Days

Sarabeth Tucek

ezio

Starsailor

The Poems

Dawn Landes

Courteeners

Guillemots

Bell X1

Delays

Cat Power

Waterboys

Nick Cave

The Young Republic

Angus and Julia Stone (again, my fault i know but there was so much)

Okkervil River

Bright Eyes

Patrick Watson

Adele

The Dears

David Ford

Eels

Lightspeed champion

get cape, wear cape, fly

I am kloot

Duffy

Tom Baxter (again)

Maria Taylor

Janis Ian

The Feeling

Fish

Jayhawks/Gary Louris

Nada Surf

iLiKETRAiNS

Bloc Party

Alabama 3

the cake sale

Dan Wilson

Levy

Rodrigo y Gabriella (again and every time!!!!)

The Crimea

Tiny Dancers (the most fun a gig can be)

Manchester Orchestra

The Hold Steady (see rod 'n' gab comment)

Martha Wainwright

Port O'Brien

Sia

Remy Zero (ok now I may be being silly)

I'm from Barcelona (at every festival I go to please!)

Kent (well, this definitely is silly but if sigur ros can sing in icelandic what's wrong with a bit of swedish)

Drive By Truckers

St Vincent

Laura Marling

Oh, Laura

Laura Viers

Cinematic Orchestra

KD Lang

I wonder how many i've forgotten........ "

in case anyone is wondering (and not bored rigid by this tirade) this is what efestivals calls "musically narrow minded":

no matter what you list, if you and your mates can't find stuff on the five music stages at Guilfest that's enjoyable for you then you simply must be musically narrow minded.

There's not a huge number of acts I've seen at Guilfest which I'd have gone out of my way to see .... but that doesn't alter the fact that the acts are generally of an excellent quality and very enjoyable to an open musical mind. Because I'm able to open my mind to anything, I've found myself enjoying even the likes of Daniel Beddingfield, because despite hating all I've heard on the radio he's an extremely good performer (far better than very many 'credible' acts) and I'm able to recognise a good performance.

As I've said, your gripes say more about your and your friends than they do about Guilfest.

Aus Pink Floyd might not be cuttting edge either but (I've never seen them) by all accounts they're stunning: if they weren't then they simply wouldn't sell bigger tours with higher ticket prices than many supposed "huge" bands (such as all of this year's "L" headliners :P)

Whatever the other guy said, I really dont think the admin of efestivals should demean himself to the level or retorts that is going on.

Stop already.

Ha, I was quite enjoying all this bitching (only joking)

Well folks, the proof of the pudding will be in the eating this year won't it ? Lets see how ticket sales do....

Alas I'm an ex Guilfester who for the time being won't be returning (Latitude for me last year and Blissfields this year on the Guilfest weekend) but never say never.....after all I've had some great times at Guilfest...

This is ludicrous and untrue.

sorry, but it's not - Oz Pink Floyd do a huge arena tour nearly every year before xmas, taking in more arenas than your average arena tour band does at a ticket price higher than your average arena tour band charges, selling them all out. Just because that has obviously passed you by doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Edited by eFestivals

when your competing against O2, Blissfields & Cornbury all on the same weekend they had to come up with a better line up than this.

it's horses for courses.

Wireless is a non-camping fest, and disjointed so it's unlikely that many people will go to all nights of it (actually, based on previous years, it's unlikely that many people will attend full stop, it's sold quite poorly in previous years) - so a very different beast to Guilfest.

Blissfields is another very different beast - the acts are of a far lower level to Guilfest, and aside from people who desperately want to see one or more of the bands they have, the Guilfest line-up will be a generally more attractive line-up (remember, there's still masses to be announced) for people who are attracted by a line-up in general.

Of those you mention Cornbury is the most similar. But it has just two music stages (perhaps a third [it's a few years since I've been], but with bands no one has heard of), and doesn't have any extras as Guilfest has, and has a very different atmosphere (going to Cornbury? Iron yourself some shirts and get those brown nylon slacks out :P).

While what Guilfest has announced so far might not grab you (and I'm perfectly aware that it won't grab everyone), Guilfest has now pretty much sussed its target market, and is good at booking bands for that market. While it might not sell as well as last year for a variety of reasons (including the competition of other local-ish fests on the same w/e), I don't expect it to have problems selling in general (unless there's going to be a general downturn this year for a number of smaller fests, which after last year's weather is possible along with the festival fashion having peaked - if this is going to happen then it's still going to be a while before that becomes clear).

Edited by eFestivals

Of those you mention Cornbury is the most similar. But it has just two music stages (perhaps a third [it's a few years since I've been], but with bands no one has heard of), and doesn't have any extras as Guilfest has, and has a very different atmosphere (going to Cornbury? Iron yourself some shirts and get those brown nylon slacks out :P).

sorry, but it's not - Oz Pink Floyd do a huge arena tour nearly every year before xmas, taking in more arenas than your average arena tour band does at a ticket price higher than your average arena tour band charges, selling them all out. Just because that has obviously passed you by doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Blissfields is another very different beast - the acts are of a far lower level to Guilfest, and aside from people who desperately want to see one or more of the bands they have, the Guilfest line-up will be a generally more attractive line-up (remember, there's still masses to be announced) for people who are attracted by a line-up in general.
Edited by Little Chief

Er, what exactly does this mean? Lower level? Is this really open-mindedness?

It's simply the truth, of a comparison of the profile, sales and knowledge of the bands - it's no comment on "good" or bad".

It seems more than a little odd that you feel it is okay to make snide remarks about a small, not in it for the money festival just trying to give people a great weekend for a reasonable ticket price! Given that we need more help selling tickets against new and old corporate giants in it for the money on the same weekend

You say "snide", I say "truthful". Or are you trying to claim that Blissfields is as appealing with its line-up as (say) Glastonbury is? That would have to be the logical conclusion of the argument you're putting forwards here.

Is Guilfest in it for the money? Nope. How many times has it gone bust and taken Tony's bread and butter living with it? Tony is in it for the love of it, no different to what you say your motivation is.

(bear in mind we never changed our weekend like everyone else has and specifically chose a weekend not to clash with Guilfest because it was usually later)

You can only make your own choice of date; you have no right to claim any date as "yours". Guilfest had its reasons for changing dates, just as you had reasons for attempting to be a different w/e to Guilfest. That's simply how it goes (if you want to start down that tack, then you should be tackling the many newer fests that chose the same w/e as Guilfest and not Guilfest :D).

isn't it the likes of Blissfields you should be supporting!

no, eFestivals should be supporting all fests on an even and fair basis. This is what eFestivals tries to do, and based on what a festival offers, not how big its marketing budget is or (like some other websites) how much money a fest stuffs in our pockets (we don't take money from festivals AT ALL to give them a higher profile - whereas most other websites do payola).

Vive la difference!

absolutely - which is precisely why I said Blissfields was a different beast. I was comparing the profile of the headline acts, nothing else.

Also, Mercury Music Prize winner Roni Size /Reprazent and Mercury nominated Mobo Award winner, internationally renowned and respected jazz artist Soweto Kinch is hardly lower level either. That's not including all the other up and comings, establishing, and different types of music we'll have going on.

It depends on the measure for 'lower'. In profile and sales (which is what I was talking about) it's beyond doubt that Blissfields has lower acts than Guilfest. Blissfields even recognises this fact by having a lower sales target (and which you've said you'd like to be higher if you could have a bigger bands budget ... now surely you wouldn't book acts only of that same level with that bigger budget would you? :D).

C'mon, don't go getting all unreasonable. :D