Campervan - Washing/Cooking Facilities

WhatADin

This is more out of curiosity than anything, and tbh we will use our van off site anyway.

In the campervan field guidelines it states:

Your campervan/caravan MUST have purpose-built fitted sleeping facilities and either fitted cooking or washing facilities. Any converted vehicles must clearly be live-in vehicles. This does not mean simply a van with a piece of foam cut to size for a bed, and a bucket for washing!

Which is fair, as my husband once went to Cornwall in a rented transit van with a matress in the back.

However we've just bought our own van and opted for a day van type setup with four berths. So full width seats to RIB bed and a poptop with bunk in for the kids. Sleeps four comfortably and we have the awning etc  We're aiming to get a Rearpod later on with a portable gas cooker that we would use out of the barn doors etc 

Ultimately we didn't want to faff around with cooking smells inside the camper and dealing with greywater, and we would normally camp at campsites with facilities anyway.

I know that you probably could get away with taking this in, but even the Caravan Club have this whole fixed cooking and washing facilities as well.

What's the deal? Could you get away with taking a day van in? 

Edited by WhatADin

19 minutes ago, WhatADin said:

What's the deal? Could you get away with taking a day van in? 

reckon you'd be fine, the rules are there to stop to stop.

a rented transit van with a matress in the back.

as your van sounds like it's obviously a campervan, i doubt theyd look at it any further.

cos people used to do the transit with a mattress  andnd unfortunately an unconverted  van crashed on the way back from the fest one year and people were killed.

5 minutes ago, Neil said:

reckon you'd be fine, the rules are there to stop to stop.

as your van sounds like it's obviously a campervan, i doubt theyd look at it any further.

cos people used to do the transit with a mattress  andnd unfortunately an unconverted  van crashed on the way back from the fest one year and people were killed.

Oh, gosh. That's awful! 😞 Thanks for answering that for me. I just noticed it on a campsite t&cs and remembered the Glastonbury terms too. 

7 minutes ago, WhatADin said:

Oh, gosh. That's awful! 😞 Thanks for answering that for me. I just noticed it on a campsite t&cs and remembered the Glastonbury terms too. 

it was probably late eighties and i think three people in the van died, and the suggestion in the reporting was that it was somehow due to how the van had been used (group of mates hire van to take to festival), i think there were many more people in the van than seats, so glasto banned unconverted vans in the hope nothing similar would happen again.