cycling to Glastonbury 2023

ThomasMack

12 hours ago, incident said:

It was a known thing that ran for a 3-4 years, and I don't think there's much evidence of it being exploited - to be honest even to exploit it the way you describe would still mean more extra effort than 99% of people would go.

I think this is true. Too much effort to bother for pretty much anyone. To exploit it you would have to drive close to the festival, with a place to park. Ride your bike in with your gear if you’re doing it in one, or else go to a drop off they day before having paid to have your stuff trucked in. Same thing in reverse on the way out. All for the not guaranteed chance for a ticket the following year.

Ultimately it’s down to the organisers if they want to offer the perk. Perhaps they thought it was too easily exploited as well, but whatever their reasons it isn’t a thing now.

On 3/2/2023 at 1:39 PM, Marvin S said:

Did it from Bristol last year - the Facebook group (BIKETOGLASTO) was really good with lots of people posting route ideas (we got the train to Yatton, then took the strawberry line to the festival) and a service for a van to take a large bag for you so you can cycle with just a day pack. No fast entry to the site but was inside within an hour of getting there and the bike lock up system (next to Bronze gate) seemed very secure as there is someone at the lock up 24/7 for the festival. Cyclists campsite had the cleanest toilets on site and showers that never had a queue for more than 20/30 minutes even at peak times. 

Thanks Marvin, this is really useful information. I'll join the Facebook group. I imagine getting there is one thing but getting out... Must be a slog after an intense weekend.

On 3/2/2023 at 2:58 PM, ukmountie said:

The only bad bit is getting out after. It's a tough ride after days of party, but you sweat it out pretty quick. It would also help a lot if the train service didn't regard bikes as trouble to be avoided.

I bet. I've a mountain bike to travel but even so I'm not a regular distance or height rider, just usually to the shops for a mars bar and back.

I also guess the trains get pretty crammed on the Monday coming back, throwing a bike into the mix is likely to get complicated for the train people. Any issues there?

On 3/2/2023 at 5:26 PM, Lucy F said:

How? I take way too much stuff to cycle to a fest.

Thankfully I have some mates going by car and can take most big bits for me (for the price of a beer I'll buy them later), mainly the tent.

I'll probably need to buy some better storage carriers for my bike though, to utilise the space. If anyone has suggestions let me know.

15 hours ago, ThomasMack said:

I bet. I've a mountain bike to travel but even so I'm not a regular distance or height rider, just usually to the shops for a mars bar and back.

I also guess the trains get pretty crammed on the Monday coming back, throwing a bike into the mix is likely to get complicated for the train people. Any issues there?

Trains are bad. First time we went to Castle Cary. Don’t. Second time we went to Highbridge. Nice ride and the train was quiet. If I do it again I’ll stay at a site just outside the festival and do the trip on Tues. I wish trains were better set up for bikes, but they’re not. The conductor has their hands more than full so patience and politeness is the way.

i wouldn’t worry about fitness too much. If you do the Strawberry Line it’s not hilly and there are lots of spots to stop on the way for food or drink. I was really not in shape and it was fine.

Bike to Glasto to have a luggage service with a bunch of drop off points. That might be a way to get some of your stuff there.

8 hours ago, ukmountie said:

Trains are bad. First time we went to Castle Cary. Don’t. Second time we went to Highbridge. Nice ride and the train was quiet. If I do it again I’ll stay at a site just outside the festival and do the trip on Tues. I wish trains were better set up for bikes, but they’re not. The conductor has their hands more than full so patience and politeness is the way.

i wouldn’t worry about fitness too much. If you do the Strawberry Line it’s not hilly and there are lots of spots to stop on the way for food or drink. I was really not in shape and it was fine.

Bike to Glasto to have a luggage service with a bunch of drop off points. That might be a way to get some of your stuff there.

Thanks again for the insight mountie.

• 1 month later...

Anybody know if the Bike to Glasto luggage service will run this year? Official website suggests that it will but the bike to Glasto site hasn't been updated since last year. 

With less than 2 months to go, I'd have thought they'd be starting to take bookings by now. Don't fancy cycling with 5 nights worth of stuff! 

• 1 month later...