Extinction rebellion

Scargilla

On 7/30/2019 at 10:55 AM, stuie said:

Cor blimey you really don't like ER people do you?

Perhaps you have alternative ideas to save our planet?

I'm sorry to say I really, really, really don't like them... mainly because I dislike hypocrites.   And sadly I have to hold my hand up and say I don't have the answers but I genuinely try to limit my impact as much as possible. I'm just honest about the fact I still contribute to the issues but don't have the cheek to tell others not to do what I do.

There's some amazing organisations out there trying to do their bit too, sadly they don't have the financial backing of some large retail corporations and some politically minded individuals...  Every credit to ER though, they genuinely believe in what they do even if they're hypocrites. 

4 minutes ago, Scargilla said:

Ha ha, sadly he turned down the offer when he realised it was going to be in a tent made of un natural fibres.. 

I doubt it. There was only one non-plastic tent in the ER crew area at WOMAD last weekend.  Only one 'green' vehicle too, and that was a hybrid; the rest were mostly dirty diesels. :P 

(yes, I really did notice those.

But hey, I'm still (mostly) on side with them and not calling them out as hypocrites. There is only this non-perfect world for them to exist within, and someone needs to be kicking the butts of the rest of us. It's society which has to change along with individuals.

18 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I doubt it. There was only one non-plastic tent in the ER crew area at WOMAD last weekend.  Only one 'green' vehicle too, and that was a hybrid; the rest were mostly dirty diesels. :P 

(yes, I really did notice those.

But hey, I'm still (mostly) on side with them and not calling them out as hypocrites. There is only this non-perfect world for them to exist within, and someone needs to be kicking the butts of the rest of us. It's society which has to change along with individuals.

Ha ha clearly it was the missus that was the issue then ?

I completely agree that this is a non-perfect world, and you know what we all need our arse's kicking for trashing the place. As I've said sadly I realise I contribute to the problem but I genuinely try and limit this and do my bit where possible.  I just can't align my views of taking action with the views of ER.  Good luck to em, and if their strategy works then then fair play I will eat humble pie. 

And society does have to change, but for society to change it has to see those leading the charge lead by example.

When the government says we're all in this together and we need to tighten our belts then you see them earning millions from doing guest speaking and getting an 11% pay rise, people don't buy it.... I see the same from ER in respect of using, as you rightly pointed out, diesel vehicles, carrying around the latest phones and digital camera's.. now this isn't everyone but I can't follow people who tell me my life choices are wrong while they do the same. 

Edited by Scargilla
added a little more ;)

13 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Personally I don't think they're anywhere extreme enough.

For example, try having a conversation with just about anyone about the need to stop flying. 

Oddly, and very perversely I do actually agree. The tactics used only seem to affect your average working person... this isn't going to change the mind of the decision makers and those in power. It will only serve to alienate your cause and align people with those that condemn your actions.  For me you have to make life hard for those in power too... if your average person feels like those in power are being affected as well they can at least see the benefit of the protest / action being taken. 

And I actually had the argument about air travel with someone from ER which sparked off a bit of an issue with them for me... I was constantly told about how we need to change.. I agreed... I then pointed out his latest social media posts were of him and his girlfriend in Greece. The response I got was "how else do you expect me to see my family" I suggested maybe using skype and was told I was stupid and didn't have a clue...  

Air travel needs reform, it's a growing problem getting worse every year. Again I have contributed to the problem, and still do, but we have made genuine changes in terms of choosing holidays in this country now over those abroad etc. Yes we will still go abroad but we're trying. 

20 minutes ago, Scargilla said:

Air travel needs reform

Nope. That attitude is the problem.

It's people's attitudes towards air travel that need reform. People need to lose the idea that it's their 'right' to travel (much as you say about that guy and Greece), because air travel as the west does it is unsustainable for the whole world.

Air travel needs to be reduced to the very minimum. Sadly that means it'll become a preserve of 'the rich' - but hopefully with a change in attitudes, mostly just 'the rich' where the travel is with a real beneficial purpose for humanity, rather than just-because-I-can.