Trains and Bricks.

LJS

24 minutes ago, feral chile said:

Learn Syrian then. Practice what you preach. 

If Syrian man wants my business he'll need to be speaking English as I don't speak Syrian (arabic?). If he wants to speak Syrian and not have my business I've no issue with it.

Easy. :) 

I do do a bit of French with the French-African bakers, as I speak a bit (just a bit) of French and "une baguette s'il vous plaît" isn't stretching me. :P 

Edited by eFestivals

25 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

If Syrian man wants my business he'll need to be speaking English as I don't speak Syrian (arabic?). If he wants to speak Syrian and not have my business I've no issue with it.

Easy. :) 

I do do a bit of French with the French-African bakers, as I speak a bit (just a bit) of French and "une baguette s'il vous plaît" isn't stretching me. :P 

Then you have no problem with pharmacies speaking Welsh in Welsh speaking areas then.

I also attempt French in Brittany, they usually switch to English to avoid me murdering their language.

It's not the lack of the language, it's walking in somewhere everyone is speaking their own language and taking offence. I would disapprove of people doing it deliberately, you'd have to be stupid in Wales though, as you don't know who speaks Welsh!

Welsh used to be tolerated better in England than in Wales, btw. The highest incidence of intolerance was within Wales.

10 hours ago, eFestivals said:

You really are a bit stupid, aren't you?

I don't have a problem with anyone speaking Welsh if they wish to.

I do have a problem with you telling them they HAVE TO even tho the Welsh don't speak Welsh.

Even though the Welsh doctor and the Welsh patient speak Welsh and the prescription was in both languages.

We're not talking about your local Syrian shopkeeper, who could choose not to speak English if he wanted, just as you could choose not to shop in there.

If he was the only chemist who could provide you with medication for your baby, and he refused your prescription despite it being bilingual, because it was in English and anyway, you can speak his language...

Still OK with you?

2 minutes ago, feral chile said:

Even though the Welsh doctor and the Welsh patient speak Welsh and the prescription was in both languages.

the pharmacist doesn't speak Welsh. The pharmacists followed the advice you quoted. :rolleyes: 

3 minutes ago, feral chile said:

who could choose not to speak English if he wanted

PMSL. Back at you. :lol: 

4 minutes ago, feral chile said:

If he was the only chemist who could provide you with medication for your baby, and he refused your prescription despite it being bilingual, because it was in English and anyway, you can speak his language...

Still OK with you?

Yes.

My baby's life because I choose to be awkward, or my baby not put in danger. No contest. :) 

Just now, eFestivals said:

the pharmacist doesn't speak Welsh. The pharmacists followed the advice you quoted. :rolleyes: 

Yes.

My baby's life because I choose to be awkward, or my baby not put in danger. No contest. :) 

How did he choose to be awkward ffs? He has no power over the bloody prescription 

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

Yes.

The pharmacist did not. He wasted time when the prescription was already translated.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

Says you. :rolleyes: 

For the pharmacist, there was something written which he couldn't understand and didn't wish to take a risk about. 

I posted a photo of the bloody thing! 

Plus, his guidance was to seek informal advice. He had a Welsh speaker there who could have read the translation for him since not being able to read might make you a bit unfit to be a pharmacist.

Edited by feral chile

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/welsh-language-prescription-turned-away-6480112

"Arfon MP Hywel Williams said: "The way in which the Mann family has been treated is wholly unacceptable and I will do everything I can to support their case.

"The Morrisons pharmacy provides a service on behalf of the NHS - a public body - which is obliged to conform to Welsh language regulations.

"It is a disgrace that a young boy in need of medication should be denied this purely because of a supermarket's failure to allow people to access basic, day-to-day services in their mother tongue.

The prescription was bilingual and Morrisons’ behaviour was completely inexcusable. Local people are understandably outraged, as Cymdeithas yr Iaith’s protest has shown".

10 minutes ago, feral chile said:

I posted a photo of the bloody thing! 

which showed some words the pharmacist didn't understand. How could he have known it was a repeat in both languages? That would require him to already read both languages. :rolleyes: 

10 minutes ago, feral chile said:

Plus, his guidance was to seek informal advice.

the guidance was to put safety first.

After that it was to try to assist, but that's not an instruction to abandon his primary job role.

Anyway, your philosophy on the news thread is at odds with what you say here.

You say there's no point antagonising people who disagree with you because their life experiences are different from theirs.

Well, spare a thought to a parent frantically trying to get medication for a sick baby, and having all this hassle.

The mother did have to change the prescription,  she had to wait 2 hours for an English one, the delay must have been terrifying, her baby ended up in hospital with breathing difficulties.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

which showed some words the pharmacist didn't understand. How could he have known it was a repeat in both languages? That would require him to already read both languages. :rolleyes: 

the guidance was to put safety first.

After that it was to try to assist, but that's not an instruction to abandon his primary job role.

Funny how English speaking areas never have the exact same bilingual prescriptions rejected.

And you're making him out to be a moron.

Edited by feral chile

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

which are...?

That the pharmacist is NOT obliged to prescribe if he feels unsafe doing so.

And that he does NOT have to go to the ends of the earth to get a translation.

Oh dear. 

Yes it would have been such a hardship to confirm the 3 Welsh words with the parent.

End of the earth that.

This is a sick child.

You read that prescription yourself.

And you're ignoring the fact that it's the law.

My pharmacist has no problem giving me prescriptions with "as advised by your GP" on, so it's clearly not part of their remit. They just have to give you the bloody thing, and the doctor behaved correctly by advising the dosage in the family's natural language.

Edited by feral chile

You say there's no point antagonising people who disagree with you because their life experiences are different from theirs.

:rolleyes: 

There's other bigger factors in play here, like the primary safety of a baby. 

Well, spare a thought to a parent frantically trying to get medication for a sick baby, and having all this hassle.

I'm sure it's upsetting for the parent.

I'm also rsure the parent would be far more upset if the pharmacist accidently killed their child due to language error.

The mother did have to change the prescription,  she had to wait 2 hours for an English one, the delay must have been terrifying, her baby ended up in hospital with breathing difficulties.

""Correlation does not imply causation".