One Love 2016

tjamest

5 minutes ago, tjamest said:

http://www.onelovefestival.co.uk/very-excited-to-announce-the-first-of-our-artist-announcements-for-one-love-festival-2016/

First acts announced for One Love Festival  - a great laid back little festival for you reggae lovers

Scratch, excellent  .... if he's on a good day and not a bad day, as he can vary hugely. Still, he's 80 years old and still touring, and I want to catch him again. :)

I'm always a bit suspicious now of stuff like Sister Nancy on what they announce, because it tends not to happen (she got announced in a previous year but wasn't in the program at the time of the fest).

Edited by eFestivals

• 4 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, tjamest said:

Great news it has a home now.

"Huge Artist Announcement at Weekend!!!" –

Are we expecting this to be Toots Neil?‪

it's my guess, that's all.

I've been to all of the One Love's since it moved from the site it's just moved back to, so it'll be interesting to experience it for the first time where Dan has always wanted it to be. I'm glad it appears to have found a full-time home, cos I bet all those moves were a lot of hassle.

I've only been to the one they had near Upminster in 2013 and was contemplating last year when it was going to be near Winchester as it is only 45 minutes away, but decided against it when they had to move it to wherever it went in the end.

You're right it must have been a nightmare having to move every year.

I'd like to go again, but it's always a bit close to Boomtown and these old bones need a lot of recovery time nowadays

• 4 months later...

and a supergroup of Davis Hinds (Steel Pulse), Brinsley Ford (Aswad), and Dennis Bovell (Matumbi / Blackbeard / Dennis Bovell), plus (Desmond Dekker's) The Aces.

I was lucky enough to see Dekker about a year before he died, not really expecting much - but OMG, that band. So tight!  If it's still the same geezers that should be superb.

• 4 weeks later...

Another absolutely lovely One Love. :)

The site - should be at the same place for the next 5 years - is lovely. I hadn't realised there was quite as much green stuff inside the M25.

Was disappointed with Lee Scratch Perry tho - I know he's hit and miss, but that was the most shambling I've seen him. And the "3 the hard way" set from Hinds, Bovell and Forde was ... erm ... interesting, and while (for me) it's always good to hear Hinds singing Steel Pulse classics, it matched what I suspected it would be, which was unrehearsed. The missus hated it.

Edited by eFestivals

Didn't go to this - was really hoping it was going to stay west country again.

I saw Lee Scratch last weekend at the Madness Clapham gig and must admit it's the least I've enjoyed him too.... 'shambling'  is a good choice of word. Toots coming on afterwards was different gear.

How busy was One Love? I got the feeling last year that it coudn't go on for too many years being that quiet....

2 minutes ago, man next door said:

Didn't go to this - was really hoping it was going to stay west country again.

I saw Lee Scratch last weekend at the Madness Clapham gig and must admit it's the least I've enjoyed him too.... 'shambling'  is a good choice of word. Toots coming on afterwards was different gear.

How busy was One Love? I got the feeling last year that it coudn't go on for too many years being that quiet....

I've been to the last (I think) 5 of them, and they've all been on the quiet side including this year - tho there was a noticeably stronger crowd this year, As it's back at the organiser's preferred site (for at least the next 5 years, so the programme said), hopefully it gives the chance to build it up a bit.

Last year's that was Tewksbury way was probably the worst attended of the ones I've been to - which I guess isn't too much of a surprise, as it re-located there at short notice after it lost the planned site in Hampshire, which didn't give much chance to sell to locals, as well as putting off Londoners who didn't want to travel that far.

3 hours ago, man next door said:

just read natty's facebook comments....

maybe there will be another reggae festival aswell now....

Ouch!

While I can't knock Natty's ambition no matter what his motivations, I would presume some of what he's complaining of - no dressing room, no rider - is the result of the limited resources the festival must be operating on. I've been to the last 5, and none of the crowds have been big, and in many ways I'm surprised the festival has managed to continue, I can't believe it's easy for Dan to pull together and keep going.

Natty says he wants "Investment/ stages/ Security/fencing/artists/ pa/ lights/staff/promotion etc etc we gonna need it all", and it looks like he's starting from scratch knowing nothing. I reckon he's about to discover there's a bit more to pulling it off on a sustainable basis than he's thinking .... unless he's got deep enough pockets to ensure top professionals and top standards in all positions when there's unlikely to be the audience numbers to get close to funding it.

I'm struggling to find words, cos I know One Love isn't perfect (tho where is?) and it would be easy to just list down the parts I feel it could improve - but I think that would miss the point. Cos I think the point is that it manages to exist at all, and within how it's able to exist it does a fine job.

It would be easy to sit back and think "I could do better than that", but being able to do it year after year counts for a lot, and particularly within a niche where there's not a massive pool of big name artists just waiting for a call to ensure big sales and big money and perfect standards,

Natty might feel he's good reasons for his not-a-rant, but I think he's taking a rosy view of things and missing the bigger picture.

15 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Ouch!

While I can't knock Natty's ambition no matter what his motivations, I would presume some of what he's complaining of - no dressing room, no rider - is the result of the limited resources the festival must be operating on. I've been to the last 5, and none of the crowds have been big, and in many ways I'm surprised the festival has managed to continue, I can't believe it's easy for Dan to pull together and keep going.

Natty says he wants "Investment/ stages/ Security/fencing/artists/ pa/ lights/staff/promotion etc etc we gonna need it all", and it looks like he's starting from scratch knowing nothing. I reckon he's about to discover there's a bit more to pulling it off on a sustainable basis than he's thinking .... unless he's got deep enough pockets to ensure top professionals and top standards in all positions when there's unlikely to be the audience numbers to get close to funding it.

I'm struggling to find words, cos I know One Love isn't perfect (tho where is?) and it would be easy to just list down the parts I feel it could improve - but I think that would miss the point. Cos I think the point is that it manages to exist at all, and within how it's able to exist it does a fine job.

It would be easy to sit back and think "I could do better than that", but being able to do it year after year counts for a lot, and particularly within a niche where there's not a massive pool of big name artists just waiting for a call to ensure big sales and big money and perfect standards,

Natty might feel he's good reasons for his not-a-rant, but I think he's taking a rosy view of things and missing the bigger picture.

Really interested in where this Natty effort goes now.... asking randoms on facebook 'what can you contribute?' doesn't sound like the firmest foundation on whch to organise an event

Edited by man next door

37 minutes ago, man next door said:

Really interested in where this Natty effort goes now.... asking randoms on facebook 'what can you contribute?' doesn't sound like the firmest foundation on whch to organise an event

I wouldn't be too surprised if he pushes on with it, and does a great event with all the top acts. But then, the next year? Who's he gonna book to keep it as strong?

Putting on a strong festival with decent sales for one year shouldn't be particularly difficult if you have the resources behind you to help bring it about, but it's the sustainability that's the difficult part - and whatever anyone might think of any 'failings' of One Love, it's a success on that front.

I don't doubt Natty found things he didn't like about what happened, but the complaint about the lack of rider and dressing room (none of the other acts have complained, note!) show that at least some of it is him being overly-precious.

His kid wetting themselves is of course unfortunate and I'd hope security had better sense, and yet .... he could have used the public bogs which were 15 yards from where security didn't let his kid thru - which again suggests preciousness.

(and the 'going round' route would have only been 50 yards - so I can't really see any reason why [unless there's an unmentioned medical condition] a 7 year old couldn't have held it, which leads me to suspect that time was wasted in having an argument in preference to getting his kid to the loo)

(BTW: whatever Natty's grudge with security, the security company One Love use are as cool as festival security get, in my own experience of them. Good luck Natty with finding a company who you think are better)

Edited by eFestivals

I tend to agree (bit weird, this :mellow:)

I feel more sympathy for small festivals trying to make ends meet than artists with riders and astonomical fees to play for an hour.

I like Natty, but the whole "you've no idea how hard I've worked" line disappoints me. So, I guess the rest of us, cheering and dancing to your music, have been sat on our arses doing sod all for the last few years?

After a weekend spent supporting, cheering and wooping you on, I'm hundreds of pounds lighter, fella.

Edited by man next door

52 minutes ago, man next door said:

I feel more sympathy for small festivals trying to make ends meet than artists with riders and astonomical fees to play for an hour.

I like Natty, but the whole "you've no idea how hard I've worked" line disappoints me. So, I guess the rest of us, cheering and dancing to your music, have been sat on our arses doing sod all for the last few years?

After a weekend spent supporting, cheering and wooping you on, I'm hundreds of pounds lighter, fella.

yep, there's definitely an element of self-importance about it all from Natty - and as i pointed out, the other acts there this weekend (and in previous years) haven't been as precious.

Natty's proposed event will work smoothly, as long as it doesn't have Natty on the bill. :P

8 hours ago, man next door said:

I've seen him a few times on festival line ups and I don't think he's very good tbh.  He takes himself far too seriously and always comes across as a humourless individual, someone somewhere has been telling him too much what he wants to hear as far as his talent is concerned I reckon.

The fact that he was billed in an afternoon slot and no where near a headline slot speaks volumes.  I get what he's saying about making and keeping black music platforms professional, but he just didn't get One Love and what it stands for or what it's trying to do at all, far too concerned about himself.

beginning to feel this too. Great first album, mediocre second for me.

I thought he was good at Boomtown a few years ago - 2012, I think it was. 

Didn't love his gig down the thekla a few months back, but I think that was more the thekla, and the swarms of *uck wit teenage girls wrecked on WKD that were surprisingly many.

• 11 months later...