TITP newbie

Guest missatomicbomb

Take bare essentials. You want your bag as light as possible. I made that mistake the first year and ignored peoples warnings and thought I'd manage to carry all my shit. One of the most difficult things I've needed to do. It was terrible.

Also Refresh is worth it.

Haven't been for a couple of years so things might be slightly different but:

1. Tickets probably won't sell out til very late if the last couple years are anything to go by. Will probably depend how strong the lineup is.

2. Alcohol is fine so long as it's not in glass. Food is fine as well. Don't think you're allowed camping stoves or anything like that but people tend to get them in anyway.

3. Not allowed to take alcohol into the arena. People always do tend to smuggle it in though. If you think you can hide it well and don't mind getting them confiscated then you could always try it.

4. I think last time I was there it was roughly £4 for a pint, maybe just under. I'd imagine it'll have gone slightly above that now. Food tends to be roughly £5 for a cheeseburger and chips or something like that. Healthy T tends to have better stuff, and usually a wee bit cheaper iirc.

5. I think there might be organised stuff in the campsite til about 2am. But there will always be folk partying throughout the night that will be more than happy to have you join in!

6. The walk from the campsite exit to the arena entrance isn't too bad. But obviously depends where you are camped. The campsite is massive so if you're at the other side it can be a hefty walk.

Yeah things i've learned over the years is:

• keep your gear as light as possible as the trek to the campsite is hell
  • as a follow up to the first point, using be chilled is a great way to save weight just as long as you like tennents or magners
  • be prepared for every type of weather as the Scottish weather is temperamental, I got caught out on the Sunday of 2011 and got blaze cos it was sunny all weekend then there was a monsoon
  • don't camp on paths as if it is muddy you are pretty much screwed plus people hit into them as they are walking past
  • campsite toilets are utterly rank so just be prepared for this (I dont promote anyone doing refresh because it goes against the whole point of camping but if you are soft in nature then refresh is worth looking into)
  • enjoy yourself and just take in the atmosphere, its a weekend in a year where I can just chill out with a few of my mates and have a laugh without any hassle and love every minute of it
  • take plenty of money for food/drink as the vans are extortionate

as gingo said, be prepared for every type of weather.

2 years ago i got sunburn on the thursday and the flu by the sunday with very little clothing actually dry.

thats my second point. regardless of weather i would wear shorts.

if its sunny happy days but if its rainy i would say your legs dry quickers and more comfortabley than trousers.

take plenty of cash and keep it seperated as you never know what might crop up.

best toilets to go to are early in the arena opening as they are cleaned. still smell pretty bad but nothing covering your face with your top wont help.

Take it at face value, T is crazy. the people are crazy. so get involved, dont worry about what others are thinking of you. no-one cares.

camp on a slight hill with your tent door facing down the slope, and make sure to camp a bit in from the paths. this will be the best tip if we get bad rain this year.

eat at healthy T. not much of a price difference and so much better. on the note of food, i'd go to asda the day before T and buy shite (cakes, biscuits, crisps etc). its a valuable commodity when you cant be arsed going to a snack van.

depending on where your coming from, i'd reccomend getting the bus, it drops you off right at the campsite gates, this wont sound like such a good thing until you get there.

final one, sounds stupid, but if theres anyone you want into the front pit for at main, go to the far end of the stage to get in, its so much quieter and easier to get in at.

the most important one... Dont be a c**t. no-one likes a c**t.

Chum up with your tent neighbours. If you watch out for them/their stuff, they'll watch out for you.

Like guitarbhoy said, go to ASDA and stock up on food the day before. Loaf of crappy sliced bread and a bottle of squeezy jam I've found makes a decent enough breakfast every morning.

My friends and I usually all go off to see different acts throughout the day. Arrange an obvious meeting place for after if you all plan to see another act later on together. Something like the big wheel, the back of a sound desk or the big T sign in the middle of the field usually work well.

If you've got a nice phone and don't want to risk losing/breaking/dropping it, then buy a super cheap pay as you go one from ASDA or Tesco. You can get them for surprisingly little, give your new number to your pals, and you can use it year after year as your TITP phone. Me and my friends have been using the same ones for 5 years now, definitely worth the investment if you plan on going to fests for years to come.