Whilst we wait: Anyone else consider suffering Gove's wrath?

Guest moodymoody

I've decided I'm giving the govt. two fingers and I'm going to suffer Gove's wrath by taking my 8 year old out of school for Glasto. She's been to the last 4 and was heartbroken when school told her that holidays in term time were banned from this year (in so far as parents get fined up to £60 per child per day). My reasoning is that it is not two weeks in Tenerife, but a great education. Am I denying my 8 year-old her education by doing this?? ;-)

I hate Gove- sneaking your kids off to glastonbury should be the least of your worries if the Tories win the next election- he said he wanted to model UK school hours on east asian countries. Wants them to work 9 til 5 or 6 pm, more homework, etc etc.

Bye bye youth! They're desperate to turn us all into a slave race for their friends businesses.

I've decided I'm giving the govt. two fingers and I'm going to suffer Gove's wrath by taking my 8 year old out of school for Glasto. She's been to the last 4 and was heartbroken when school told her that holidays in term time were banned from this year (in so far as parents get fined up to £60 per child per day). My reasoning is that it is not two weeks in Tenerife, but a great education. Am I denying my 8 year-old her education by doing this?? ;-)

If we're lucky enough to get tickets I'll be doing the same with my two, and I'll be upfront with school as to why they're absent. I happen to think Glastonbury is very educational! And as you say its not two weeks in Tenerife. Our school instituted a ban on taking children out of school in term times last year (previously they would authorise up to 10 days) and it has made no difference to the amount of parents taking children out of school for holidays.

I will be very interested to see what school / councils actually do later in the school year when kids are taken out of classes for various reasons.

Will they actually fine parents? More importantly, will they actually take parents to court if they dont pay the fine?

I wonder what the 'cut-off' will be for being sued - if your childs attendance is say 96% after taking a couple of days out for Glastonbury, does that still mean you are not ensuring your child recieves an education and they will feel it is worth while taking you to court?

I've already applied for the holiday, writing a whole page and on a half on how educational it would be and what my son would gain out of going....it was turned down! As it turns out we weren't lucky enough to get tickets this morning anyway, but if we get some in the resale I'll appeal. He'll be 6 and in Year One....

As an 18 year old, I am forever jealous of my friends who tell me their stories of their parents taking them to Glastonbury when they were very young. They all seem to remember it so well and cherish those memories and makes me mad how my parents never did that for me. She will be doing the exact same thing in years to come and if the school want to deprive your child of golden memories then they can do one. She is only eight years old, I would perhaps understand if she was in year 9-11 taking exams at that time but she won't be missing out on anything horrifically important so what is the big deal?

I am sure that you won't be the only parent of the school year getting time off for your child for a mini-break so I wouldn't worry about it too much!

Can't comment on taking kids out of school as I never did it when mine were young. But looking at it from the other end of the telescope, I'm now an adult ed tutor and when I negotiate/discuss course programmes with my learners I explain: "We'll be having a week off in June because I'll be at Glastonbury."

I'm up front about it and my employers know that's the deal if they hire me as a tutor.

I suspect there may be quite a few teachers in the same predicament as parents over Glasto week.

My daughter will be 8, and providing I get a ticket in the resale, she will be missing school for glasto 2014. twice before the school have authorised, but this year they said no, so I just took her anwyay and nothing was really said about it. Her teacher even asked her if she had seen the rolling stones! Her report at the end of the year still showed 100% attendance, so I think they must have just brushed it under the carpet (or forgot!)

I have been told I will get fined this year though, so I will probably phone in sick each morning and see what happens. They will know she isn't sick, as she has already told them she can't wait to go, and I wouldn't expect her to keep it a secret!

Just got to get some tickets now though. April seems a long way away.

I'm doing A-Levels, and my school allowed me (not officially of course) to take Friday off last year. It's insane that an eight-year old can't be taken out of school for a few days for an event. Sure, it would be bad if you were two months away from sitting GCSEs or something, but it's different at that age.

Hell, one of the teachers at my school said that he took a day off every festival for about 15 years. That's an A-Level and GCSE teacher.

Edited by d.iain.s

I'm doing A-Levels, and my school allowed me (not officially of course) to take Friday off last year. It's insane that an eight-year old can't be taken out of school for a few days for an event. Sure, it would be bad if you were two months away from sitting GCSEs or something, but it's different at that age.

I'm fairly certain not everyone that says it's acceptable to take their child out is successful with a good job, a house, money in the bank etc

what's to stop them doing it later, for something else as 'important' like when parents take kids out for cheap holidays during term time

When do you draw the line then at what age/stage is it not acceptable to miss time

If you're doing your GCSEs or A Levels studying for them is it ok to take time off? after all it's only a week and you wont miss any exams...

I get what you're saying, but I do think you have to take a more relative approach. Schools can't condone taking weeks or more off school, at pretty much any age, but I think if anything allowing children to have on or two days off here and there, where justified, encourages a healthy attitude. Children won't respect authority figures if they feel that there's no room to bend the rules, you have to encourage respect by being flexible with children, considering their perspective.

I would never allow time out close to exams, though it would depend on how important the exam is, how much material needs to be covered etc. It also becomes far less acceptable as children become older. I'm currently in my final year of school, so any missed lessons are a big deal, and I was only allowed to go last year since I'd already finished my exams for the year, and lessons were more relaxed since they weren't long since over. As I've said, it's all about being flexible and considerate.