Open'er Festival Poland 2012

Guest DangerJones11

Open'er is notoriously slow to announce (although it seems to be going pretty quick this year). Last bands can show up less than month before (and it included headliners in past). Somethink that may be handy is unofficial (fan made) timetable. It's never 100% correct but can give you an idea of how many artists are going to be announced yet. Last two stages are mostly for local bands, main stage is usually opened with Polish artist. http://szort.pl/opener_2012

Edited by Krowa

Pretty good announcements this year. Plenty of interesting music and bands. Looks that there will be a lot of great gigs.

Maybe a little pity that there is no big (stadium) headliners, but they still need two more, maybe someone unexpected will come to festival like Prince last year of FNM three years ago ;)

Yeah, I was expecting a big stadium headliner as that's what is generally rolled out first to get people interested. However, I wasn't expecting Bon Iver which was a pleasant surprise so I have faith still in the coming announcements.. when they eventually do them!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We are a group from Norway going to Open'er this summer. We would like to stay at a hotel or an apartment near the beach. Any recommendations? Is Sopot the place to stay or are there any good beach areas closer to Gdynia and the festival area?

If we stay in the city instead of at the beach, where should we stay?

Are there any good tavernas at the beach? Any good bars or night clubs we should visit?

Any other activities or places worth trying? I've heard its a good area for windsurfing.

What is best between Gdynia, Sopot and Gdansk?

How do we travel to and from the festival? By train, bus or taxi? Is taxi cheap?

Lots of questions here :D

We appreciate any good insider tips :)

Lots of questions indeed :D Starting from Sopot. Well, It's a nice place with a lot of bars and night clubs, also with a great beach. Out of those three cities, this one is the most party-one I guess :D and it has a lot of rooms close to the beach offered to rent during the festival. The main problem is its distance from the festival area - you have to take the city train to Gdynia, and a festival bus afterwards, which equals around 50 minutes to get there I would say.

There is also a beach close to the festival area - approximately 15 minutes of walk.

To windsurf I would go to Hel Peninsula which is 50km from Gdynia. Much better place than Gdansk or Gdynia, it's not so wavy and has a lot of windsurfing bases.

I already mentioned transport - There is a city train, reaching whole three cities and a free festival buses from Gdynia train station to the festival area. So there is no big need to use taxies (not so expensive anyway) :)

Hope it helped a little :) If you have more questions, I will be glad to help :)

Hi there,

I am going to this festival (well at least the first couple of days) some advice would be appreciated.

Are you able to get the train back to say Gdansk after all the music has finished for the night or would you need a taxi? I am not sure where to book accommodation in the 3 places mentioned above. Looking to stay in a hostel to hopefully meet some other people going whilst there, any recommendations?

Any other tips appreciated! Never been before and likely going on my own this year...

Edit - Also, does anyone know how easy it would be to get to the football ground in Gdansk that is a venue for Euro2012? Wouldnt mind seeing it whilst over there.

Edited by arteet

There are trains during the night also they usually organize some extra carriage for the festival. So you'll be able to get to Gdansk, but I wouldn't recommend to stay there during the festival - it's the longest possible distance to travel every day for the fest. Sopot would be much better and closer. If you stay in Gdynia you don't have to use trains at all, only the festival buses.

City train also reaches the stadium if you want :)

Edited by mechanized

• 3 weeks later...

We're driving there from London, taking in a few countries en route, camping etc. Was wondering if the Festival will be signposted at all and how much time we should give ourselves to get there I.e a day before maybe?

Any info much appreciated!

When you drive in Poland just head to Gdansk/ Gdynia/Sopot - one of those three. Festival is in Gdynia and when you reach the city there are many festival signposts. Also on the city ring, so you'll now there to turn to get there. It takes around 5 hours to get to Gdynia from the german border.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...