Sziget 2012

Guest guitarbaz

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always use the days before the festival starts to spend time downtown and will be doing so this year too. For those that do not arrive that early, or will have some days to spend in the city after the festival, I recommend to go into Budapest at least once during the festival. Besides that, I recommend to everyone to go to a spa at least once, there simply is no better way to recover from the days before. But better avoid going there in the afternoon, since the waiting lines can be huge by then. It's much better to go there in the morning (you can continue to sleep in the spa) or late in the afternoon, after 5PM.

Besides that, I also recommend to walk around the festival site and see more than only the big stages. There is so much more! Even if there would be not one single act on Main Stage I'd like to see, I'm sure I would have an amazing week. There is so much to discover. In music, in other venues, in entertainment, in other people coming from all over the world, in everything. Even after five years I keep on discovering new things each day. This and Budapest are two of the reasons why I buy my ticket regardless of line up. Other reasons: the warm weather, the friendly atmosphere, the great offer on cheap but good food and drinks, the adventure of the trip to Hungary, ... No better holiday in Europe for me than a trip to Sziget.

But even though I think line up is relatively unimportant at Sziget, I am quite happy with the acts announced thus far and I think the line up this year is much better than some are saying. The A38 Stage has a line up much better than in most of the previous years and so does the World Music Stage. I understand Main Stage may be disappointing for some, but I think this really is a matter of taste. If I compare the Main Stage programme to the previous five editions, I think it's quite okay. Of course it could have been better, but that's always the case at Sziget. It's not a British festival where they only put acts on the stages that are popular here. Did anyone here know Overflow, Batucada Sound Machine, Ben l'Oncle Soul, Lyapis Trubetskoy, Subsonica, K.I.Z. or Death Valley Screamers before they were announced for Main Stage in the past two years? And weren't Kate Nash and Good Charlotte a bit too outdated? And what about 30 Seconds To Mars and White Lies being a headliner? I think this year every headliner is a better headliner than those two. Korn too. The icing on the cake like Prince last year might be missing and the metal part is also less good than in previous years, but I think the overall line up is quite good for Sziget terms.

But once again, how important is line up for Sziget? In my opinion by far not as important as for other festivals.

ive never been but i agree with this, and going off previous lineups its not that bad, compare it to alot of festivals this year and its not bad at all, they can only book bands/acts that are available and alot of festivals have struggled this year, plus with their apparent poor budget this year think theyve done alright

I saw the Stone Roses on Friday night (good gig but getting there/back from Manchester was a pain and it took forever to get a beer!). How popular/well known are they across Europe? During the gig, I was trying to figure out how they'd go down at Sziget but could't come to a conclusion!

Yeah it'll be interesting to see how they go down there. I think we might underestimate their popularity over Europe way.

Hopefully tho we'll get a damn sight closer than we did on Saturday!! Amazing gig but I do like to be a bit closer to the action..... :)

i was at the friday gig for my bday, was fuckin epic! haha we only went to the bar once missed the whole of the wailers set waiting for a beer n got to the front and it was £4 a bottle!! so we bought as many as we could carry lol i think it would probably be an easy way to spot the brits in the crowd singing along with a passion :P