Going to EOTR alone...

Guest ellie88

I was supposed to go to EOTR with some friends, but they bailed on me. I still have a ticket and I'm now debating whether I should sell it or go to the festival alone. Was just wondering if anyone has any advice. I really don't want to miss the festival, but I'm worried that going alone might be a bad idea. Help!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was supposed to go to EOTR with some friends, but they bailed on me. I still have a ticket and I'm now debating whether I should sell it or go to the festival alone. Was just wondering if anyone has any advice. I really don't want to miss the festival, but I'm worried that going alone might be a bad idea. Help!

It depends on you as much as anything. Personally I tend to do a lot of things on my own now as I don't know that many people who share my interests and I'd rather go somewhere by myself than miss out on the experience altogether. I went to Latitude and also travelled to Japan alone earlier in the year, both things I'd have missed out on if I hadn't done it by myself.

As others have mentioned you can always meetup with others in a similar situation or just spend time by yourself, doing whatever you want and listening to whoever you want.

Not been on my own, but:

Every year there is a thread like this - every year people say 'do it', and every year new people come on and say 'last year I went on my own and it was great', and thus the cycle continues.

The people on here (none of whom I've met) all seem a friendly bunch, and the atmosphere at this fest is friendlier than probably any other I've been too.

As an aside, the years I've just been to fests with just the Mrs have been the best, when you do have a chance to do what you want rather than trawling around in a group. Not quite the same I know, but it's the closest I can get based on personal experience.

:)

I sort of started the efests/facebook group - you would be more than welcome!

It gives you a little bit more security and just someone to chat to from time to time....and if you do want to tootle off to a band with a few familiar faces you generally can...or if you want to go your own way you can do that too. Also, of course, if you happen to have forgotten anything you are pretty damn certain that someone will be able to lend you whatever it is.

There were about 50 of us last year with a very wide age range so people tended to form like-minded mini-groups within the group. It's always been a blast.

You will however have to listen to me wibble on about how fantastic Dan Mangan, Slow Down, Molasses et al are....Ben extolling Other Lives, Midlake.....and many many others! :rolleyes:

Ah RL you have noticed that I am a 'girl'

Yes Ellie you must come. Join the Happy Campers, I did. We don't all go around the festival hand-in-hand as one big group, Geof's shorts are just too embarassing to be seen with.

You will however Have to see Allo Darlin and Other Lives!

The group is great, everyone is friendly, and its fine to wander around on your own, which as others have said is often easier at a fest. In fact you will always be bumping into someone you know anyway.

See you soon!

Edited by perfectpassion

I'm another "lone female" in the same group, and it is reassuring to feel you are among friends from the camping point of view, rather than getting back to your tent alone at night to find you have unwittingly pitched it in between Dodgy Geezer and Totally Loopy Larry... I try to spread my company around, as some people in the general crowd do go as couples or pre-arranged groups, in order not to seem a nuisance to anyone(s) and outstay my welcome. Usually there are people around to do things with though occasionally I have spent longer than I really wanted wondering whether everyone else has been swallowed up by a large whale. However, that's partly my own fault for being too reticent to be able to approach random people and just chat, which as people have said above is the best way to go about it.

I could tell you where the lone campers was last year, BUT in view of the fact that there are "changes" to the site this year, it could be in a different place (Geof???) Usually we are past the Tangerine Fields (already put up tents), on the right hand side as you walk along. With a lovely yellow hand painted flag

Yup, that's about it...last year arenas were on your left, camping on your right....walked past disabled camping, which wasn't marked anyway, past tangerine fields then diagonally about 100 yards in to the right....but I'm also aware there may be changes so I'll confirm later and try to get a map together.

The yellow flag looks suspiciously like it has a smiling sperm painted on it!

I'm always happy to swap mobile numbers nearer the event anyway so you'll be fine.

No disrespect to any of my friends but i went on my own to the very first one and for me it was the best one (maybe not musically but freedom wise) In fact, i met a lad there who was on his own and we're still in touch. I actually prefer to go on my own if i'm honest, just go where you want, whenever you want. I'm not saying you can't do that with friends but somehow you all end up tagging along and doing what everyone else is doing. There's a certain liberation being at a festival on your own, you try and squeeze in places you may not do so with a group, you meet loads more people if you want to and basically have no pressure at all to do anything you don't want to do. Also, some people in these forums are going alone and are meeting for drinks so there are options.

I haven't told anyone i'm going yet. sorted a ticket and lift on here and will be trying to do much of this year on my own. Might actually make an effort to meet some new people this year. It's just i'm such a miserable git it's not long before people are wanting to get rid of me. :-)