2 Many Djs!

Guest whisty

I love listening to dance music at home but find watching them increasingly boring to the point of now wanting to avoid them at all costs. DJ Shadow was just dull as dishwater, together with a few others I stumbled on or took time to go see. People playing instruments is infinitely preferable.

What's with the increase in DJs around the festival. I wonder if it might be cost based. Maybe having to pay 1 person for spinning a disc is much cheaper than a full band?

im a big Shadow fan, but still the first time i had seen that Shadowsphere show and was very impressed, and going off the noise of those around me, i wasn't the only one.

but i'd have to say as a dance music lover before any other, going to 'watch' a DJ is maybe missing the point a bit. get your head down and your feet moving (mud permitting), cos ultimately a bloke or two behind banks of equipment is nevr going to give you the 'show' that a more conventional band could.

I love listening to dance music at home but find watching them increasingly boring to the point of now wanting to avoid them at all costs. DJ Shadow was just dull as dishwater, together with a few others I stumbled on or took time to go see. People playing instruments is infinitely preferable.

What's with the increase in DJs around the festival. I wonder if it might be cost based. Maybe having to pay 1 person for spinning a disc is much cheaper than a full band?

im a big Shadow fan, but still the first time i had seen that Shadowsphere show and was very impressed, and going off the noise of those around me, i wasn't the only one.

but i'd have to say as a dance music lover before any other, going to 'watch' a DJ is maybe missing the point a bit. get your head down and your feet moving (mud permitting), cos ultimately a bloke or two behind banks of equipment is nevr going to give you the 'show' that a more conventional band could.

To put into context. Having only heard Red Snapper from downloaded music I went to see the show at the Glade a couple of years ago thinking it was going to be a Dj set, was blown away when the band appeared, a big fat double bass or whatever it is, Sax man, brilliant drummer and guitar. Was so much more than I expected and superb for me, oh and you could dance to that :)

Hercules and love affair a couple of years ago were brilliant, a full band. This year it was pretty much a Dj set with a couple of singers. I got bored pretty quick.

I do of course agree with the Indie statement & have no real wish to view them either.

Edited by whisty

yeah i know what you mean. i love dancing, have always been a raver, but find much more to my tastes at West Holts or the Glade or the night time areas these days where often the music is presented in amore intertesting and inventive way, as opposed to just DJ AND LIGHTSHOW - IN A TENT!

yeah i kind of agree with you.

it's been the fashion in recent years to have some sort of big visual accompaniment to dance acts. without researching it, it almost certainly goes back to Daft Punk's Pyramid show, then Etienne de Cracy's Cube, Shadow's Sphere, Magnetic Man's rig, Deadmouse's head etc and so on.

Check out beardyman, although technically not a dj if you didnt know of his skills and just stumbled upon him you would think he was a dj. His ability to create the songs he does on the spot must make artists sick :P Also what 2manydjs do live adds something differnt to a normal dj set. I thought this thread was about 2manydjs to be honest haha :P