Tips on using your coolbox.

Guest JodiB

Just a thought, but if you plan on making ice that is not going to be used to drink etc. Then why not add salt as this will mean the ice will be cooler than 0C?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent hours today between other things getting rid of the year old freezer monster to make room for all this freezing that will be taking place over the next 10 days! A useful way to spend my day methinks! :)

Not sure if this has been mentioned already (I couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread..) but I've bought 3 x crates of Brothers festival cider - would it be OK to freeze them completely?? Not sure if its a stupid question but does cider expand when its frozen..?! :rolleyes:

Not sure if this has been mentioned already (I couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread..) but I've bought 3 x crates of Brothers festival cider - would it be OK to freeze them completely?? Not sure if its a stupid question but does cider expand when its frozen..?! :rolleyes:

I was going to start a seperate thread but it seems all the cooler experts are already here.

I've got a coleman Xtreme 50QT for my main chilling duties and also take two of the cheap ASDA 25ish litre boxers but obviously these aren't up to much. As there are more of us going this year (and we've got about 200 cans plus food and water etc)I was thinking of upgrading.

Having looked for a couple of smallish fridges about that size it looks like it would cost me almost £50 so I'm quite tempted to just buy another coleman/igloo considering they're not a lot more.

Does anyone take two big coolers? Or am I getting a bit carries away in the excitement lol?

I've got one of the large garden trolleys so carrying it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Edited by transitman

Just got one from Costco for £42. A few quid cheaper than has already been mentioned. It's the Igloo Maxcold "Premium" and says on the label it has a 6 day rating. It is around the 60 litre mark I think and comes with wheels and a telescopic handle. Looks like the island breeze

The westons cider boxes are they ok to freeze as is or do they need a bit draining first.

Oh I started bringing my igloo and contents down to temperature today, will get everything nice and cold and a quick blast in the freezer for a few hours before I leave, the westons I plan on freezing solid though.

The westons cider boxes are they ok to freeze as is or do they need a bit draining first.

Oh I started bringing my igloo and contents down to temperature today, will get everything nice and cold and a quick blast in the freezer for a few hours before I leave, the westons I plan on freezing solid though.

Huge slab of ice went into it along with the room temperature cider, the slab of ice will probably have melted by Wednesday as it has to chill the contents so I will put another slab in then, then on Tuesday I will transfer the contents to the freezer for a few hours and fill it back up. All it does is cool the inside of the igloo giving a little longer out of it, in all honesty ut is probably a few days too early to start but I am impulsive and couldn't face packing my rucksack so I packed my cider.

OK i've got my igloo, according to the instructions and posts on here it seems I'm better off focusing on preserving ice for drinks rather than cooling cans.

How about if I fill the box 3/4 full with ice cubes, then layer say 30 ice cold (but not frozen) cans on top before we leave. Reckon the ice will stay frozen throughout while we consume the cans?

Now is the time to make sure you have plenty of 500ml water bottles in the freezer if your planning to "pre-charge" your cool box.

Put the frozen water bottles in your cool box and start pre-charging Sunday Night at the latest if you are traveling Tuesday.

If you don't know what I am on about then read the first post in this thread.

Have a cool festy guys an gals :D

Dry Ice is the key.

Come in small packets put in a small cool box with NO WATER in it. Bring in to festival.

Normal Cool box filled with frozen water bottles like JodiB pre charged so to speak.

Remove some frozen bottles and put in bag/another small cool box etc.

Add 2 packets of Dry ice add a little water then put cans etc in Cool Box

Seal coolbox and then leave for 1/2 hr.

Open coolbox cold beers etc

Add frozen bottle back in every can you take out Sorted.

Do this every year 20 packs of dry ice lasted 6 days

Aqquire the dry Ice from a mate in Forces. But can be bought from dry ice merchants on net.

Linkys for dry ice packs http://www.chillerz.com/what.htm http://www.green-gases.com/dryice.htm http://www.dryiceuk.com/dry-ice-supply

/index.php?showuser=57211">

Edited by buffystar