Phil Collins Announces Retirement

Guest Ommadawn

Personally, I have no time for a man who allegedly chucked his wife by fax but I guess we are unlikely ever to see Genesis at Glastonbury which is a shame IMO. I saw a TV programme recently where he had to strap his drumstick to his hand in order to play the drums so not particularly surprised he's announced his retirement.

Source

Punk was part of a much bigger philosophical change that killed the idea of perfect music. I mean, can you imagine anyone thinking that now? That all musical invention drives at a perfect form? That top 100 lists are in fact provable by science?

My Mother's partner, a huge fan of Collins, actually said to me that some tune or other that he liked was the perfect song. Surely your mood dictates your appreciation of the form.

Oh it played a huge part of course, I agree with your definition of it too. But people seem to forget, The Wall by Pink Floyd was in late 1979, a full 2 ½ years after God Save the Queen, five years after Lydon walked around London with his “I hate Pink Floyd tshirt” and Another Brick in the Wall was UK number 1 in late 1979, the last number one of the decade.

Oh it played a huge part of course, I agree with your definition of it too. But people seem to forget, The Wall by Pink Floyd was in late 1979, a full 2 ½ years after God Save the Queen, five years after Lydon walked around London with his “I hate Pink Floyd tshirt” and Another Brick in the Wall was UK number 1 in late 1979, the last number one of the decade.