Bestival 2011

Guest 5co77ie

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all have massive aspirations and yet we forget it's still a relatively small festival. I don't expect anybody bigger than Gary Numan's status mainly because if I did, I know that come July 1st I'd be incredibly disappointed. You look at the bands that headlined and appeared throughout the festival last year, take into account there's going to be a lot more this year (not just in terms of bands either), the audience size is going to stay the same, and the ticket prices are roughly the same... budgetary constraints would dictate to me at least that it won't be a huge band or artist and one that Rob won't be too fussed about if the tickets are already sold. Grace Jones, Gary Numan - both same sort of beast except of two completely different breeds.

Being a massive Numan fan, I actually said a few weeks back I thought he would play, especially when he released his new tour dates. I put this on my facebook page, and I am sure nobody agreed with me. I am probably going to sell my ticket, but if Numan is there, then I will be re-thinking selling it. His 2 UK gigs so far this year have been amazing.

I don't think anyone would have an issue with him playing but he's not even close to headliner material. He's not particularly popular in the mainstream and doesn't have a huge cult audience either. He has his fans, but all the previous headliners in the last 5 years have been Glasto sub headliner size (basically since the year Gogol headlined) and Numan isn't, for lack of a better comparison

Edited by edfirth

I'm not particularly a fan of either but Kate Bush would be a MUCH bigger booking than Gary Numan and would certainly generate more excitement, if only because she is so enigmatic and hasn't played live for so many years. Gary Numan's second on the bill behind Maximo Park at the Ben & Jerry's Sundae festival for God's sake, a festival that costs about £10 a day and finishes at 8pm. There's surely no way he could possibly be big enough to headline Bestival on that basis, let alone when he'd be 'above' acts like Brian Wilson on the bill? Kate Bush would be a much more popular booking. Personally speaking if it's either I'll be finding someone else to go and watch.

While Kate Bush would be wonderful as a booking (due to teh fact she just does not play live any more), there is frankly as much chance as XTC (lead singe has crippling stage fright).

With Gary Numan being 2nd on the bill at Ben and Gerrys's sundae (under Maximo Park), somehow I cannot quite see it.

Agreed, Kate Bush would be a much bigger booking. She'd be a pretty massive booking really, but i still think she would disappoint a large amount of the punters. As you say, we can just go somewhere else, but it's always good to have a great festival closer and I think rob has got something special up his sleeve. something that he thinks will please more people than kate bush would. not that I am slagging her off though before i get abuse.

I think the Bestival crowd would be massively in favour of Kate Bush. It would probably be the best festival booking in the world this year, and one of the best bookings Bestival will ever make, that would please everyone.

That's why it won't happen.

Speaking of No Doubt, Gwen reaffirmed her committment to the band today, away from her solo stuff.

The thing that gets my goat is that people look at the suggestions with a glass half empty rather than a glass half full. On July the 1st, we may very well get what we all sort of agree will be a headliner that isn't exactly suited to our tastes (like Pendulum is to a lot of people) but then even if we do, we'll still have 4 or 5 other places to go that will no doubt have somebody else on that's more to our tastes. That's diversity; that's Bestival. On the other hand, we may get a great headliner and be faced with a clash.

We shouldn't be looking at it as 'Grace Jones headlining' (for example) or 'how shit Pendulum is going to be' - rather, how great the other bands on the other stages at the exact same time are going to be, and from looking at the line-up there are many.