A-Levels

Guest oafc0000

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If 27% of entries are getting A's then how do you know who the outstanding ones are? Instead of bringing in A*s (and logically A** and A*** in the future), why not raise the benchmark so that everyone who really got an A* today would get an A, those with A's would get B's...

Just heard on the radio (Five Live) that a young guy who got 3 A's couldn't get a place studying medicine here in the UK... He is now moving to the Czech Republic to study...

Can we afford to lose gifted kids in such vital areas ?

Something for the government to look at going forward I hope. If we are going to restrict places then we need to look at prioritising which courses are made available.

Edited by Alcatraz

f**k the grade system. Just do it on percentage.

and it's even harder to get to 90%. which i can almost guarantee that some people got in my year. yet i'm seen as the same as them for scraping at a low 70%. despite them being far more intelligent.

Edited by dakyras

O LORDY MAMA...I`ve resisted all day since listening to 5Live this morning..but I cant help it now, and I`ve got a suicide pill at the ready.

So.... let the grump begin.

Just where and what do all these educated to the hilt people go/end up?

Education! Education! Education! Our Tonto proclaimed...well, yeah... and?

Anybody who can go through these courses and "suceed" certainly must show that they might have something to offer a prospective employer (thats what its all about isnt it?) but from what I have seen on various documentaries of late--there seems to be loads of people getting loads of degrees---but then cant find (suitable) jobs and being in debt to boot.

Is there any fairness in saying it is "easier" to get to Uni now than it was 10/20/30 yrs ago?

I must say... I do question that year after year results get better.

I cant accept thats its solely down to the claim that folks nowadays are more clever than when I was at school.

Do some people go to Uni cos they`ve got nowt else to do ie.. well theres no jobs,no training...err what can/shall I do now?

For sure the % of people going to Uni now compared to when I left school has massively increased. Back then... Uni , if you could make it was a passport to success.

Doesnt seem like that now.

There will be loads of drinking going on round the country tonight I suppose...and a lot of tears from what I hear about the lack of places, but...good luck to to all you students!

den

(swallow, gulp.............................

O LORDY MAMA...I`ve resisted all day since listening to 5Live this morning..but I cant help it now, and I`ve got a suicide pill at the ready.

So.... let the grump begin.

Just where and what do all these educated to the hilt people go/end up?

Education! Education! Education! Our Tonto proclaimed...well, yeah... and?

Anybody who can go through these courses and "suceed" certainly must show that they might have something to offer a prospective employer (thats what its all about isnt it?) but from what I have seen on various documentaries of late--there seems to be loads of people getting loads of degrees---but then cant find (suitable) jobs and being in debt to boot.

Is there any fairness in saying it is "easier" to get to Uni now than it was 10/20/30 yrs ago?

I must say... I do question that year after year results get better.

I cant accept thats its solely down to the claim that folks nowadays are more clever than when I was at school.

Do some people go to Uni cos they`ve got nowt else to do ie.. well theres no jobs,no training...err what can/shall I do now?

For sure the % of people going to Uni now compared to when I left school has massively increased. Back then... Uni , if you could make it was a passport to success.

Doesnt seem like that now.

There will be loads of drinking going on round the country tonight I suppose...and a lot of tears from what I hear about the lack of places, but...good luck to to all you students!

den

(swallow, gulp.............................