N-Dubz - bad karaoke

Guest eFestivals

I know that Guilfest can be a bit like karaoke, with crowd singalongs to classic tracks from classic acts.

For example, this year there was 10cc, and tracks don't get much more classic than "I'm Not In Love" - a track that I didn't expect to be much cop live. But it was, it was excellent, and I was blown away by their whole set of tracks I thought I'd long forgotten.

Anyway, on Saturday night, 2nd from top, was N-Dubz. They're not my thing, and while I expected the youngsters to be well up for them, I was somewhat amazed at the amount of middle-aged mothers who seemed to know every word to every song. Anyway, I digress....

Put simply, they were frigging AWFUL. They were like a bad karaoke version of themselves. I don't think any of those N-Dubz lovin' kids (or even their middle-aged mothers) would have done any worse if they'd have got on stage instead, and quite a few would have probably done better.

I'm all for new talent being seen on festival stages (even if it's not my bag), but the key word there is 'talent'. There was none on display in that set, however much some were loving it. ;)

I know that Guilfest can be a bit like karaoke, with crowd singalongs to classic tracks from classic acts.

For example, this year there was 10cc, and tracks don't get much more classic than "I'm Not In Love" - a track that I didn't expect to be much cop live. But it was, it was excellent, and I was blown away by their whole set of tracks I thought I'd long forgotten.

Anyway, on Saturday night, 2nd from top, was N-Dubz. They're not my thing, and while I expected the youngsters to be well up for them, I was somewhat amazed at the amount of middle-aged mothers who seemed to know every word to every song. Anyway, I digress....

Put simply, they were frigging AWFUL. They were like a bad karaoke version of themselves. I don't think any of those N-Dubz lovin' kids (or even their middle-aged mothers) would have done any worse if they'd have got on stage instead, and quite a few would have probably done better.

I'm all for new talent being seen on festival stages (even if it's not my bag), but the key word there is 'talent'. There was none on display in that set, however much some were loving it. ;)

It was great fun and you know it :D That field was packed with young and old and whats wrong with a bit of karaoke?

Guilfest was a veritable retrofest of singalongs wherever you went. I bloody loved every minute of it. N-Dubz was one of my shameful highlights.

It was great fun and you know it :D That field was packed with young and old and whats wrong with a bit of karaoke?

Guilfest was a veritable retrofest of singalongs wherever you went. I bloody loved every minute of it. N-Dubz was one of my shameful highlights.

I'm not doubting that lots loved N-Dubz - that was plain to see. The question has to be asked tho: why?

It was like watching an average act in an average school show. The gulf between them and an average here today gone tomorrow indie band was huge, and I'm not sure I'd have thought that was possible, particularly not from an act that have had the success they have. I was rather stunned.

That aside, GuilFest did it's thing very well again this year, and it remains a great laid-back fun fest. :)

I'm not doubting that lots loved N-Dubz - that was plain to see. The question has to be asked tho: why?

It was like watching an average act in an average school show. The gulf between them and an average here today gone tomorrow indie band was huge, and I'm not sure I'd have thought that was possible, particularly not from an act that have had the success they have. I was rather stunned.

That aside, GuilFest did it's thing very well again this year, and it remains a great laid-back fun fest. :)

It was a laid back event and we really enjoyed it, Highlight for me was 10cc. I was dreading them as much as wanting them to be brilliant. I cant quite put into words how good they were, when they played I'm Mandy I booed the whole song. It has so many memories for me and they played it brilliantly.

Also 65daysofstatic were excellent to. When thy first came on I thought, Pah... but got into it very quickly and by the end of their set was hooked. Would love to see them in a small venue.

Anyway defo worth waiting 14 years to return and will make it back again next year for sure.

I'm completely with you on all of that - 10cc were fantastic, everything I'd hoped they'd be but so much more than I'd thought they'd be.

65daysofstatic were my other stand-out act of the weekend, and I completely get why you say you'd love to see them in a small venue. Early in their set I was criticising them for their insular stage manner (which would defo work better in a small venue), but all the same their music managed to hook most of the audience by the end.

Def go see them in a small venue if you can!

65daysofstatic are immense. They didn't quite work at Bestival on the main stage last year, but saw them in Cambridge in May. In a small venue they will blow you away - incredible. Supported by Loops Haunt who was awesome as well. As were Nedry.

Saw them years ago in Birmingham supported by Chris Carter twiddling knobs. Awesome back then even.