Quieter areas - have suffered hearing loss

Guest OSHmusic

Hi everyone,

Think the doctor is going to tell me today that I shouldn't go to Glastonbury, because I've just suffered significant loss of hearing due to standing too close to the speakers at a couple of recent gigs.

Need to know if are there quiet areas where there isn't music playing? Is it still noisy around the periphery of the stage fields? One way or another my Glasto is ruined, but I would still like to be there.

Many thanks for any advice.

Edited by OSHmusic

Wear earplugs ( I always wear em at gigs etc, might look dorky but my hearing is A1)You can still hear the mysic fine, just takes the chance of doing damage, or in your case more damage, away.

If you are in a free field environment and wear plugs you'll be fine just don't stand next to any speakers.

Google- Permenent Threshold Shift or PTS for further info.

Edited by OSHmusic

Hi

as someone both born deaf and further deafened, i feel for you.

the answer to yor question depends what u prfer to get from glasto.

there is plenty you can do that does not require music - just eyesight -

if u luv glasto deeply you will know the above, and thus maybesignore advice not to go unless u are having major dizziness turns.

Hi

as someone both born deaf and further deafened, i feel for you.

the answer to yor question depends what u prfer to get from glasto.

there is plenty you can do that does not require music - just eyesight -

if u luv glasto deeply you will know the above, and thus maybesignore advice not to go unless u are having major dizziness turns.

If you're at the main outdoor stages, then if you stand at the edges or at the back then you can still hear ok and it's not that loud there, plus you can dance easier too cos you're not being squished by millions of people ;)

If you are heading to one of the 'tent stages' ie John Peel Stage or one of the dance tents then use ear plugs. The wax versions fit better than the cheapy foam ones. They're not that much to buy from Boots either http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Muffles-Wax-Earplugs-5-pack_6330/?CAWELAID=334480904&cm_mmc=Shopping%20Engines-_-Google%20Base-_---_-Boots%20Muffles%20Wax%20Earplugs%20%205%20pack

If I were you I would stand outside the tent stages, you can still hear the music just as well, although you may not be able to see the band/DJ.

You have my sympathy, my hearing was damaged when I was a teen (back in the late 80s early 90s) because I used to sit on top of speaker stacks when I went to 'raves' (you can feel the bass real well when you're on the top of a speaker stack!), since then I have taken care not to stand in front of speakers and it has got better, I hope yours does too.

FA

PS If you wanted to go for the tongue-in-cheek, I don't give a flying F what you think look and you have a smallish head then you could wear a pair of kid's Peltor ear defenders, my kids have them for festivals and gigs and everyone always comments on them cos they're so bright!

Edited by FairyAngel

I always wear earplugs nowadays. I feel I can hear the music better with them -- very loud music distorts somewhere between my ear and my brain. The effect gets worse the longer I expose myself to loud music, and the more I drink. The first thing to happen is that I can't make out lyrics, then I can't perceive pitch, then I can't even make sense of the rhythm. Earplugs fix all of this.

I'd love to know if my condition has a name.

I bought special non-disposable earplugs for music, which are supposed to suppress all frequencies equally (foam ones let through more bass than treble).

I've found that if I forget to take my plugs, there's pretty much always someone at a professional gig who'll give you some. e.g. at the Oxford Academy, they had a pot of them behind the bar.

I think there's a stand at Glastonbury that hands out earplugs - possibly related to the RNID's "Don't Lose the Music" campaign.

Learn from @OSHMusic - look after your ears.

I always wear earplugs nowadays. I feel I can hear the music better with them -- very loud music distorts somewhere between my ear and my brain. The effect gets worse the longer I expose myself to loud music, and the more I drink. The first thing to happen is that I can't make out lyrics, then I can't perceive pitch, then I can't even make sense of the rhythm. Earplugs fix all of this.

I'd love to know if my condition has a name.

I bought special non-disposable earplugs for music, which are supposed to suppress all frequencies equally (foam ones let through more bass than treble).

I've found that if I forget to take my plugs, there's pretty much always someone at a professional gig who'll give you some. e.g. at the Oxford Academy, they had a pot of them behind the bar.

I think there's a stand at Glastonbury that hands out earplugs - possibly related to the RNID's "Don't Lose the Music" campaign.

Learn from @OSHMusic - look after your ears.

If you're at the main outdoor stages, then if you stand at the edges or at the back then you can still hear ok and it's not that loud there, plus you can dance easier too cos you're not being squished by millions of people ;)

If you are heading to one of the 'tent stages' ie John Peel Stage or one of the dance tents then use ear plugs. The wax versions fit better than the cheapy foam ones. They're not that much to buy from Boots either http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Muffles-Wax-Earplugs-5-pack_6330/?CAWELAID=334480904&cm_mmc=Shopping%20Engines-_-Google%20Base-_---_-Boots%20Muffles%20Wax%20Earplugs%20%205%20pack

If I were you I would stand outside the tent stages, you can still hear the music just as well, although you may not be able to see the band/DJ.

You have my sympathy, my hearing was damaged when I was a teen (back in the late 80s early 90s) because I used to sit on top of speaker stacks when I went to 'raves' (you can feel the bass real well when you're on the top of a speaker stack!), since then I have taken care not to stand in front of speakers and it has got better, I hope yours does too.

ted to go for the tongue-in-cheek, I don't give a flying F what you think look and you have a smallish head then you could wear a pair of kid's Peltor ear defenders, my kids have them for festivals and gigs and everyone always comments on them cos they're so bright!

I think the fact the consultant will see you've taken the time to buy earplugs will give them confidence that you'll be sensible while there and hopefully not tell you not to go. The number of people they'll see who just completely ignore their advice anyway means they'll probably just be glad to see someone taking it so seriously.

I think the fact the consultant will see you've taken the time to buy earplugs will give them confidence that you'll be sensible while there and hopefully not tell you not to go. The number of people they'll see who just completely ignore their advice anyway means they'll probably just be glad to see someone taking it so seriously.

I have permanent tinitus - in case you haven't got ear plugs ask the security nicely if they can get some for you between acts at the Pyramid or Other Stage - they're really good foam ones.

I'm sure you will be fine, I have major hearing loss in one ear and always carry ear plugs around with me now to protect what I have left. I've been to Glasto both before and after the damage and have never had any problems (though I do leave my hearing aid at home) My consultant just told me to be sensible and stay away from clay pidgeon shooting?!

I'm sure you will be fine, I have major hearing loss in one ear and always carry ear plugs around with me now to protect what I have left. I've been to Glasto both before and after the damage and have never had any problems (though I do leave my hearing aid at home) My consultant just told me to be sensible and stay away from clay pidgeon shooting?!

No worries, hope it all goes well for you today. My left ear's buggered after chicken pox, but it can also be an advantage when wanting to sleep and your neighbours tents are a wee bit rowdy. Flip over onto my good ear and instant silence! I would also maybe think about where you're gonna pitch your tent. I wouldn't camp anywhere near the dance village or too close to the stages if I were you maybe? I prefer to camp fairly high up the hills if I can. Either way you will have a fab time am sure. Right am off to finish packing!

Sarah x

Do you have permanent noise? There are a few new non medical procedures for tricking the brain into not hearing it if it is constant - one was on the One Show recently which sounded like it was working well.

No worries, hope it all goes well for you today. My left ear's buggered after chicken pox, but it can also be an advantage when wanting to sleep and your neighbours tents are a wee bit rowdy. Flip over onto my good ear and instant silence! I would also maybe think about where you're gonna pitch your tent. I wouldn't camp anywhere near the dance village or too close to the stages if I were you maybe? I prefer to camp fairly high up the hills if I can. Either way you will have a fab time am sure. Right am off to finish packing!

Sarah x