radio 2 says u2 replacements could be.......

Guest cabstar

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you should be bored saying this at all. If this opinion is being voiced elsewhere on the site I don't see it, chief.

Much as I admire and appreciate M Eavis for the truly amazing culture he has developed around his festival, the man is as tight as two coats of paint & it will be far too easy for him to blame the lack of notice in getting someone else to play in U2's stead. He's got enough contacts and enough experience to shake things up a bit. A mere shift upwards of the lineup just won't cut it. There must be some kind of risk management provisions for cancellations. They have a big enough organisation.

Ive kept my counsel thusfar but I have to make the point similar to you that its a little too cosy for him to do nothing. The "TBC" on the official site will be proven to be another one of those things that only a fool would trust. Ive been that fool in the past and won't be again.

---

U2 was Glasto 2010 for me. Nothing else came close on the lineup. Those of you who say (a.) Glasto's not about the music or (b.) U2/Bono are shite are just gonna have to take me at my word on this. I fully believed that U2 would have at least equalled the Bowie's, Radioheads and Blur's of this world next month.

Them playing the festival had everything. Scale, uniqueness, intimacy, controversy, glamour...

Now we get a rapper who played last year, a melodramatic Queen tribute band and, granted, a giant of music but someone who can't sell out 12K venues in Dublin and who is playing in London that same weekend.

The gloss has been rubbed off their illustrious 40th Anniversary. I realise through no fault of their own - but to sit on their hands with the money for U2 in their laps would be shameful. I don't care who they need to get on the phone to but if they want to salvage something special then the clock is ticking.

For my two cents I'd say give Daft Punk a call. The Pyramid within the Pyramid schtick just works for me on the 40th Birthday. They'd be cheaper than U2, require little or no warm up time and contrast nicely with The Flaming Lips on the Fri and of course Muse and Stevland on the Saturday & Sunday.

/my two cents.

- - -

The Zep of course is totally incredulous. A bit like Chris Evan's career.

One mans (or womans :P ) gash, is anothers best line-up in the 6 Glastonburys I've been to, even without U2.

You mustn't forget the effect the weather has on the following year's sales.

If we get a nice, sunny year this year, 2011 tickets will sell out quickly.

I'm certain that was a major reason why 2008 didn't sell out as quickly - 2007 was bloody horrible.

Edited by Tugger2k