Second announcement

Guest SweepingTheNation

im sorry but as annoucements go this has to be the most underwhelming of all.........i have been to every summer sundae but cannot justify spending £100+ on the lineup of hasbeens and never will bes that have been cobbled together so far....this used to be the best festival in the midlands....it is not even looking like the best festival in leicester.......FFS give us some headliners

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice post. Reminds me of this one.

Now apart from Elbow, a band who just about get 6 figure fee for festival slots, what have the elderly artists in the above post got in common with your first post? If you're going to attempt a p*ssing competition make sure you're pointing yer man the right way.

now ed...don't get me wrong ;

SSW is my favourite festival.....and i'm a veteran of glastonbury before it became a middle class knees up

a serious illness this winter meant that for a while i thought 'no more festivals for me'.... but now i can plan for the summer i'm a little frustrated at the limp line-up announced thus far...i know we are lucky SSW is actually going ahead and you will more than likely find me sat under the tree with my vodka and my cowboy hat come august 12th; i just need a decent headliner to convince my mates to part with £100 to come and join me

my daughter is working the festival circuit this year and can't understand why SSW can't announce main stage headliners.....unless of course they havent been booked

bad lieutenant, decemberists, erasure, jerry dammers orchestra.....i'm sure one of these could be afforded

just hope i'm not p***in in the wind

I am rarely moved to post on here until just before and after the festival, when talking recycling. But it really rankles when some people are so negative about annoucements. Expressing disappointment is one thing, and by all means speculate about who else you would like, but such crudely negative comments seem incredibly rash.

The line up is not complete. By my reckoning at least 2 of the 3 main stage headliners have yet to be announced. In all likelihood one or both of these will be someone you never thought you'd ever be able to see (or see again) at a festival like SSW.

I also find it distasteful the Richard's name has been invoked (on the facebook page by someone who appears to be posting here as well). How do we know that Richard wouldn't have booked these very same bands - they appear to me to be much in line with previously booked acts...

Tony, when you left the site after your 9th consecutive SSW, wouldn't you have handed over £100 there and then to go to the 10th. If your attitude wasn't so negative I'd suggest you volunteer with us. Why is it your favourite festival? Is it only because of the music?

If you don't like the line up when it is all announced don't come, if you think another festival suits your tastes better go to that, if money's tight volunteer, if you think you can do better set up your own festival. (sorry the last one is pretty tough but I hope you get what I mean.

Edited by Completewasters

I am rarely moved to post on here until just before and after the festival, when talking recycling. But it really rankles when some people are so negative about annoucements. Expressing disappointment is one thing, and by all means speculate about who else you would like, but such crudely negative comments seem incredibly rash.

The line up is not complete. By my reckoning at least 2 of the 3 main stage headliners have yet to be announced. In all likelihood one or both of these will be someone you never thought you'd ever be able to see (or see again) at a festival like SSW.

I also find it distasteful the Richard's name has been invoked (on the facebook page by someone who appears to be posting here as well). How do we know that Richard wouldn't have booked these very same bands - they appear to me to be much in line with previously booked acts...

Tony, when you left the site after your 9th consecutive SSW, wouldn't you have handed over £100 there and then to go to the 10th. If your attitude wasn't so negative I'd suggest you volunteer with us. Why is it your favourite festival? Is it only because of the music?

If you don't like the line up when it is all announced don't come, if you think another festival suits your tastes better go to that, if money's tight volunteer, if you think you can do better set up your own festival. (sorry the last one is pretty tough but I hope you get what I mean.

it seems that the function of a 'forum' has by-passed a few people......as a loyal ever present summer sundaer, who, by the way, will be attending at least half a dozen festivals of all sizes this summer, i maintain my right to express disappointment with what in my view is a limp line-up so far (and let us not forget the regularity of acts pulling out of SSW, when their names have been used to sell the event) ......... freedom of speech is what makes this country great, and i hope that by not being a sycophant and expressing an opinion, however 'negative' in other peoples eyes, i can in some small way add to discussion and debate; if we all liked the same music what a colourless world it would be .........tony wilson may be dead, but his spirit will live on

If I may say so I dont think Tony Wilson would have booked the festival bill you appear to want. To his credit he generally supported new and interesting bands.

Also re reference to "regularity" of acts pulling out. The Streets And Fanfarlo pulled in '09 due to Swine Flu. And before that?

Perhaps I should repeat my point about people complaining every year and it all working out alright. The same people book the line up every year and it works out fine. And people pull for significant reasons it's the perils if promotion.

I know people hate me talking about the fringe, but it takes a team of 4 people a year to make the fringe work with 30 bands. The group of people organising ssw isn't much larger in number and yet deliver a fantastic festival every year. The beauty of ssw has and always will be the discovery and realisation of fantastic rising talent well in advance of everyone else. That's the singlehanded reason why ssw us so special. If you're expecting massive festival bands like James, it's never going to happen. You simply couldn't grasp the fantastic sums charged for some of those bands.

Now the organisers must be confident of selling out without announcing 'bigger names'. Although

it depends on your viewpoint on who is a big name. Whilst Mumford and Sons are great live and the album is excellent I would say they may sneak a pre-headliner slot. The Fall would probably be an indoor headliner.

Anyhow theres already a dozen must see acts for me, so I'm well happy with the line up.

You pays your money you takes your choice... I am for the 10th year (yes I've mentioned that again)

See tomorrows bands today at Summer sundae, ave it.

Perhaps I should repeat my point about people complaining every year and it all working out alright. The same people book the line up every year and it works out fine. And people pull for significant reasons it's the perils if promotion.

I know people hate me talking about the fringe, but it takes a team of 4 people a year to make the fringe work with 30 bands. The group of people organising ssw isn't much larger in number and yet deliver a fantastic festival every year. The beauty of ssw has and always will be the discovery and realisation of fantastic rising talent well in advance of everyone else. That's the singlehanded reason why ssw us so special. If you're expecting massive festival bands like James, it's never going to happen. You simply couldn't grasp the fantastic sums charged for some of those bands.

These days seem to have been decided although I haven't seen a lot of these confirmed here or on the SSW website:

Friday: Erland and the Carnival, Fionn Regan, The Megaphonic Thrift, Rugosa Nevada, Sunshine Underground, Wave Pictures

Saturday: A Genuine Freakshow, Autohype, Goldheart Assembly, Go! Team, Laura Veirs, The Whip

Sunday: Errors, Frightened Rabbit, Futureheads, Los Campesinos!, The Low Anthem