Local Accommodation

Guest SecretShame

I was looking on the £9.00 Travelodge sale site earlier, and out of curiosity, had a look for the area around Glastonbury. As expected, the closest two hotels have no rooms on the Tuesday before-hand. No surprise there - loads of people go down earlier. What caught my eye was how there are no rooms on the either the Friday or the Saturday. Note the costs of the other nights as well, as compared to a"normal" week. Seems like more people than I thought are staying in a hotel. It's especially interesting that the weekend is booked up - I wonder if people are indeed going to attend just for say, U2, or the Saturday event, then go back. Personally, I couldn't imagine anything worse - the atmosphere in the campsites is part of the draw for me (that, and no beer! I bet a taxi would cost an arm and a leg to get back to town!).

glastobookings.jpg

Compare the above with a "normal" week.

glastobookings2.jpg

Ah, idle speculation. How these 8 months will drag on. :P

I looked into B&B/hotel options on ticket day (my other half is massively tent-o-phobic :P) and everything was booked up, so it's nothing to do with U2 or other recent announcements.

From a conversation I had with a Glastonbury B&B owner a couple of years ago, a lot of the accomo in the area gets booked up from one year to the next by media and technicians rather than ticket-holding punters.

we're staying on the tuesday night at the travelodge in Podimore. Booked it before this years festival! Staff who are genuinely working there... ie the stage lighting and sound folk who need a vaguely decent nights sleep to keep us punters happy will I guess be there on the friday and saturday nights.

In the Sunday Times this week , they showed the posh hotel near Shepton Mallett that Blur

stayed in. I cannot remember its name cos it did not really matter to me.

You could try there

:P