benicassim 2010

Guest rosiefox

DMCG - there is discovering new bands, and then there is buying a full price, high end festival ticket, and being fobbed off with mid-card headliners, past-it acts, and a load of new bands so fresh they likely only have a few tracks to actually play!

Seriously unimpressed here - and I agree with QueenCat that this seems like the last chance for a big announcement to shift tickets. Cmon VPMG - if you can´t book some bigger acts, give us something else to justify the price - a comedy tent, a new dance area, SOMETHING???

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think theres actually more bands i’d rather see this year than last but the headliners are very poor. some of beni’s headliners are nowhere near the top of the bill at British festivals. Vampire Weekend,although i like them, are certainly not headline material. Its like they blew the budget on headliners last year and are trying to recoup some cash by signing up LOADS of complete unknowns on the cheap this year.Give me Muse or Arcade Fire over PIL,The Specials and now Peter Hook anyday,it seems like we’re going back in time! i know people will say they have to keep the international festival goers happy but come on Love of Lesbian…..!?

OK, to those who say don´t moan (and I agree, I am moaning!):

SOS 4.8 Murcia is next weekend; 2 days plus camping starts at 35 pounds. Line up includes:

Franz Ferdinand

Fatboy Slim

Hot Chip

Madness

Orbital

Mystery Jets

The Horrors

Magic Numbers

And a load of (much better) Spanish bands, plus a cabaret tent, and loads more.

THIS is why I am complaining: I am paying more than that PER DAY, and the lineup is actually worse (sorry, but there it is).

If this is really the main acts, I would expect this to be the beginning of a decline for the festival; people can´t justify paying to fly, the hotels (a lot of people do use em!), drinks, food etc during a crisis. Expect to see a lot of bulls**t campaigns about tickets selling out very soon; DON´T fall for it.

Having said all that, I am still gonna go (I can´t get my money back now!), at least Foals, Kasabian, Klaxons, Mumford save it a little bit for me.

Now bring on the hate........

God yeah, agreeing with the comment about it being a lame announcement even for a local park gig! In fact if they're still trying to shift tickets, I think they've made a serious tactical error here....if I was waiting on the next announcement to make a decision over Beni or alternative international / UK festivals, this would have made up my mind for me instantly! I'd be willing to bet that not one single person buys a ticket for Beni on the 'strength' (ha!) of this announcement.....but that, on the contrary, it pushes people to buy tickets for other festivals instead and leave Beni in the hope that the line-up improves next year.

Not saying that there isn't SOME good stuff already on the bill....but this announcement was 100% shite and frankly an embarrassment, and really unless they get another 10 or so well-known (even if not top draw) bands, I think they're going to get seriously savaged for the poor quality of the acts.

Oh, and am LOVING the idea for a new element - comedy, etc - that'd at least help to partially justify the cost. And you're right, it is bloody expensive - we're paying around £450 all in with flights and apartment (pathetic I know, but too old to camp!). Thankfully there are three of us going and we're treating it as our big girly summer holiday.....but if we were just going for the tunes we'd be GUTTED right about now!!

Oh, and am LOVING the idea for a new element - comedy, etc - that'd at least help to partially justify the cost. And you're right, it is bloody expensive - we're paying around £450 all in with flights and apartment (pathetic I know, but too old to camp!). Thankfully there are three of us going and we're treating it as our big girly summer holiday.....but if we were just going for the tunes we'd be GUTTED right about now!!

to be honest last year the bands were just a bonus, beach, camping etc was such a laugh.

prodigy and kasbian are headlining other big uk fest, dizzee is doing global gathering and bestival.

yeh some other big bands wud be good but i aint that fussed on muse,

faithless and libertines would be much better additions

As pony as them new announcements are, im still going. Booked flights a while ago for fairly cheap.

slightly worrying is that, if the line-up doesnt improve much.. will for sure put a dampner on the vibe and atmosphere, as i can just imagine everyone moaning there bollocks off!!

I agree with most of the recent comments so far.

This latest announcement doesnt give me much hope for the next ones. There's about 65 or so acts on the bill so far - they needy add a couple of real good headline acts & quick if they want to sell out, cant see it happenin though!! It looks as though they are just trying to fill the lineup now with any smaller bands etc.

I'll be going to the bars more often this year by the looks of things.......i reckon if the next additions are as bad as the last one they at least owe it to us to knock the prices on the drinks away down!!!!

FFS man, everyone knows it's a gamble buying tickets before an act has even been announced. If you just want a festival purely for the music, stay home and go to a british festival and leave the sun, sea, scantily clad beautiful woman(and men if you're that way inclined :P ), beach by day, music all through the night and making some crackin new friends to the rest of us!!! Oh and go-karts and a water park :P

I don't go to Beni for the music, i don't care what bands/dj's play. I go for a holiday with the added bonus of having a festival to go to at night instead of some tacky resort where folk are trying to drag you into every bar you pass giving you a free shot blahblahblah....

Just go and enjoy it and maybe go check out some acts you've never heard of before if the headliners aren't to your taste. Personally, i think the line up is great :P

MON THE BENI

FFS man, everyone knows it's a gamble buying tickets before an act has even been announced. If you just want a festival purely for the music, stay home and go to a british festival and leave the sun, sea, scantily clad beautiful woman(and men if you're that way inclined :P ), beach by day, music all through the night and making some crackin new friends to the rest of us!!! Oh and go-karts and a water park :P

I don't go to Beni for the music, i don't care what bands/dj's play. I go for a holiday with the added bonus of having a festival to go to at night instead of some tacky resort where folk are trying to drag you into every bar you pass giving you a free shot blahblahblah....

Just go and enjoy it and maybe go check out some acts you've never heard of before if the headliners aren't to your taste. Personally, i think the line up is great :P

MON THE BENI

What you say is totally fine if people treat it as an extended holiday, which is the attitude that you happen to have and that's great (me too, to an extent!) But if people have bought tickets based on previous years' line-ups, they're MORE than entitled to feel let down. Essentially, the festival has simply not delivered what it has promised based on the strength of its history. People have probably had to choose between festivals and have chosen Beni on the strength of past acts....and as there is a serious dip in quality this year, I think it's fair enough that people feel disappointed.

If you look on the main Beni Facebook page, people are even selling their tickets now (ie, after today's announcement) - not good. And I think the worst thing, is that the atmosphere (which to me is always the most exhilarating thing about a festival) will just be limp as anything; with no really huge, exciting bands playing there'll be far less anticipation / excitement - and that's just such a shame.

I'm still looking forward to this year, but whereas previously I'd thought Beni would be an annual event for me, this will be the last year - no way am I spending hundreds of pounds to see a stack of unknowns again!!

For me the last year was the first year in Beni and it was chosen based purely on the line-up as I'm a massive oasis fan. And to be completely honest this year's list is not the worst one, but not as good as it could be either. If only they would add couple more big acts such as Muse, which is IMO one of the best live bands etc, it would be really great. I personally really didn't enjoy last years night with all the white lies and arcade fire psychedelia and so far line-up on that facet is clear which is good.

Anyway, I don't mind unknown bands as long as there's something good coming to close each night and you can keep that in mind while watching someone like 'peaches' (which was a complete joke) and enjoying the sun. Let's just wait for the next announcement and hope for the best (fingers crossed).

Yeah, fair play - there's absolutely a lot of decent stuff already on the bill. In my opinion, the fundamental mistake they've made here is putting out a whole announcement that is basically pure, 100%, 24 carat shite....if they have even three or four decent names that they are holding back (and let's hope they do!), then in my opinion they should've staggered them and announced a couple of those, along with all the dross....then people would be excited about Muse or Blur or whoever (neither of whom I particularly like personally!), and that excitement would just eclipse the old nonentities, and nobody would even notice them long enough to complain about them. But when there is a line-up announcement of 20 acts and they are ALL dreadful (well, either dreadful or unknown), you've got to expect some backlash..! People are holding out for announcements now to start building up the excitement - and so this is bound to come as a disappointment. Let's just keep fingers FIRMLY crossed for the next announcement....we've had 20 unknowns; let's hope the next one is the complete opposite and packed with 20 solid gold quality acts! xxxxxx

Edited by QueenCat