Best Band of the Weekend

Guest ljsawyer

THE DUKE AND THE KING...Their music hits the spot for me, loss of place, self, childhood dreams....its about belonging and longing. Their performance just surpassed every expectation. Each member of the band was unique and equally talented. Simon Felice strutting, leaping and having a ball, Robert 'Chicken' Burke as his antidote, the kind of guy you want to take home and sit down with a good long drink and chat to...'The Deacon' Nowell Haskins on drums with a sublime voice and a wide smile. And the female diva who unfortunatly I dont know her name but was equally entrancing. It was just such bloody good fun and way too short!

OKKERVIL RIVER...Just everything I had hoped for in a live performance and Yes it was me dancing badly at the front.

NOT WORST but....that was the annoying bit, OR were sandwiched between two of the most static performances I witnessed. Alela Diane whilst great music was just yawn...I might as well have put the cd on. Although the drummer and the bassist (who looked like they had just neatly been defrosted from San Franscisco 1972) were by far the most unusal and entertaining bit of her set. And Fleet Foxes...great great sound and I was still there at the front, and it was the only time at the festival that it felt like a "normal" gig ie slightly squashed.....but I just wished that they had done a slightly shorter set and OR had come on afterwards to dance to and keep us warm.

RICHMOND FONTAINE deserve a special mention...I did miss part of the set but guiltily squeezed my way to the front. Dont know how to describe... I felt their music rather than heard! Its just that sound seems to penetrate my body by osmosis rather than thru my ears.....very emotional! glad that someone did the honorable thing and bought the cd afterwards.

SHE KEEPS BEES Last year there was a flying guitar...this year it was cookies. One to watch! And a good way to End The End of The Road

AND the people, the sun, the beautiful countryside. Thanks efesters for making it even better than I could have possibly imagined!

"Ive got the highest heels on the street, but they dont get me as high as I'd like to be"

Edited by perfectpassion

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Quack Quack: brought fresh air in such a folkie atmosphere. I didn't expect anything from them because I didn't know them and... I just flipped. AMAZING.

The order doesn't really matter.

- Bob Log III: Just a funny genious.

- Okkerkill River: Amazing once again.

- Mumford And Sons: They're are gonna be a very important band. In less than a year.

- Neko Case: LOVELY

- She Keeps Bees: So good there was someone who reminded me how good PJ Harvey's 4 Track Demos is. Hilarious.

- Efterklang: Even they sounded louder than the other times I've seen them live, I enjoyed Them very much.

- Zun Zun Egui: lovely and crazy africanism!!!

- Peter Broderick: deep, very deep.

- The Duke And The King: Nothing to envy to The Felice Brothers, and when the drummer sang, He touched my soul.

- The Tallest Man On Earth: Even I find all his songs so similar the ones to eachother, the setlist was very well choosen. I enjoyed It a lot.

- Alela Diane: just in love with her.

- Wildbirds And Peacedrums: I saw them at The Union Chappel on thursday, and They made It brilliant again. Are they the best swedish live band? for sure.

- Get The Blessing: Super interesting Post Jazz. Something diferent that I needed in that moment. Glorious!

- Loney Dear: The deception of the festival. Where were this rising melodies He sings in his lovely albums? So disapointed.

- Dirty Projectors: They were ok, but when the cutest girl sang, They sounded so low. "Stillness Is The Move" was suposed to be the hit of the festival, but I didn't fly while listening to It. Bittersweet.

- Tiny Vipers: She was ok, but It wasn't the best moment for such intimacy. I was nervous for Neko!

- Dan Michaelson And The Coastguards: The Coastguards were very good, Dan was singing for the first row.