What is it about Glasto that keeps luring you back?

Guest Discoduck

Very brave of you to go alone!

I'd have serious reservations about going alone but I think I probably would if none of my mates wanted to come. I'm not sure what it is about Glasto that makes it so amazing, but its incomparable to any other festival i've been to. It kind of feels like i'm finally home when I set up my tent on the Wednesday and crack open the first beer :lol:

I wasn't there but I understand that they did do at least some of these things. People around them did find them a bit of a problem. The fact that everyone knew they were there does, in itself, mean that they were somehow "making their presence felt".

I agree that you can't throw them out just for beinig BNP, which is a shame because it would be my instinct to want them out, but thats the main drawback of living in a free country.

One of us, one of us, one of us... :-)

Glad to hear the Glastonbury bug got you in the end. And well done for going alone, that takes some guts.

Neighbours really are the luck of the draw, but all you can do is say hello, bridge the divide and hope for the best. we always make a point of saying hello/morning/evening to our neighbours and anyone who walks through our camp space... everyone :-) We overheard some (what I'm presuming were first timer) girls behind us one time in their tent saying 'Go on, walk through that those tents, this big man says hi to you, it's really nice...'.

Thoroughly agree on not arriving Friday thing. We go for Wedsneday-am -> Monday-pm and even then I get a bit weird until we find our camping spot. We usually camp in the Wicket ground which, although quite a way out is a very friendly and sociable area we find.

Hope to see you next year.

Edited by Ponyegg

There already is one...its called ! :lol: Or more specifically the Tipi.

Discoduck, as you said in your last post, you now know to be a bit more organised with things next year, and if you are and we see you in CT, then I know you will enjoy your wed/thurs so much more!

I have been in ladies toilets 10 times worse than Glastonbury Festival when in various cities. How many clubs/pubs have you been to where there is no lock, paper, the toilet is totally blocked, vomit everywhere? Plenty I bet...that is something I have never ever been able to fathom...a bar that takes more than enough money every night to buy a new lock every morning, send a member of staff in to check on the facilities and clean up during the opening hours...and often you have paid an entrance charge as well. Madness and fecking annoying. Honey Club Brighton was the worst offender! :):lol:

The turdis' at Glasto are pristine compared to a lot of city pub and club toilets. Ok...so there isnt flushing water and they can niff just slightly cos of the design but these days, despite there looking like there are way too many folk at G for the toilets to cope, the turdis' are pretty damn clean and the toilet per person ration is about 5 times what it was in the past....then again we had fence jumpers pre 2000.

If you want a nice experience, get up at the crack of dawn, keep a ear and a look out for the poo sucker lorry and follow closely...ok not too close. :( Wait for the blokes to give the turdis' a damn fine clean, disinfect and paper replace and then in you go. Sorted, no need to walk a 3 mile round journey just to relieve yourself.

The turdis' behind the Cider Bus were always pretty clean...the trick is to visit the ones furthest away from where people are arriving from as humans dont usually bother to walk a distance, or even stop to think or compute that the ones nearest the entrance will have been used the most.

The toilets at G in this decade are pristine compared to those in the 90s. If you had seen some of the things we had to witness and experience in the past I think you may have ended up in therapy...the phrase Pyramids of Poo is generally the title for what one came across back then.

Try going to a London Dance Festival B)...see how you cope with the toilets there...and then return to G completely toilet broken and ready to face the loveliness of the cleanness of G loos!

I know this has probably been answered, but where was ? I was camped on Pennards, had a look for it... not really sure what I was looking for TBH... but thought I'd come across and say hello...
Edited by LusciousLucy

If you want a nice experience, get up at the crack of dawn, keep a ear and a look out for the poo sucker lorry and follow closely...ok not too close. :( Wait for the blokes to give the turdis' a damn fine clean, disinfect and paper replace and then in you go. Sorted, no need to walk a 3 mile round journey just to relieve yourself.

It wasn't three days, it was approx 46 hours and no lasting damage (I hope). It really wasn't that bad, the alternative was much much worse!

Yeh I read about your camping experience, we must have had the same neighbours! Was planning to watch E17 but it didnt quite work out :s

It was pretty much exactly where the big aerial photo of the field that had been on page 1 of the thread since October clearly showed. Lowest part of the field, north of the walkway that cut across Pennards to the Park, west of the diagonal path from the campsite stewards in the middle and not far from the path that runs straight down the back of Park Home.

The camp was only about 50m west of where we camped last year. Red Triangles bunting galore stretched across the main section of the camp and wrapped around the tipi in the middle, the flag flew from Wednesday afternoon and we didnt think to tell the campsite stewards cos it never crossed our minds.

Next year...who knows...keep watching the boards, familiarise yourself with maps and layouts of Pennards, the unofficial Efest camp will likely be in more or less the same spot as it has been since at least 2000. It has never been far up the hill...too hilly! You have to remember as well that it is unofficial so it is not as if we can go booking out a section of one of the most popular camping fields at G. It is a case of arrive with everyone else, first come first served, and squeeze in with the rest and the best of em.

I'm assuming they were doing something heinous....

I mean, if I had a group of Nazis camped next to me, as long as they didn't try to foist their views upon me, fly any offensive flags, chant, sing, or shout any offensive things, or piss on my tent, they've got as much right to be there are anybody else, no matter how diametrically opposed their views may be to mine... ;)

I can understand it somewhat, not from the POV of a person who is non-white, but I know how it feels to be bullied and intimidated, it's a hideous feeling and the people who do this to others are heinous, nasty, evil cnuts ;) BNP supporters and their ilk are the most disgusting specimens of humankind, they are the ones who should be put on a boat and sunk in the middle of the sea :( To sit there openly and blatantly flaunting their antisocial and revolting views is certainly not in the Glasto spirit and, imo, anyone being openly racist SHOULD be banned from the festival. Glastonbury pride themselves on inclusion and go to great lengths to accommodate those who would find it difficult to come along, people of non-British descent should be no exception.

I must implore the OP, if the loos at Glasto make you act in the (potentially medically damaging) way you did, please, please don't ever go travelling anywhere adventurous, will you? And no, I don't mean the third world. I mean Birmingham bus station... Seriously... I saw little kids coping perfectly well with the loos, so for a grown-up to say they found the facilities unusable is offensive to the people who built, maintained and cleaned some of the best and plentiful facilities of any festival, anywhere.

I must implore the OP, if the loos at Glasto make you act in the (potentially medically damaging) way you did, please, please don't ever go travelling anywhere adventurous, will you? And no, I don't mean the third world. I mean Birmingham bus station... Seriously... I saw little kids coping perfectly well with the loos, so for a grown-up to say they found the facilities unusable is offensive to the people who built, maintained and cleaned some of the best and plentiful facilities of any festival, anywhere.

f**k sake, get off your high horse people. I'm a brummie myself and have used the public loos on many an occasion and was able to do my business no problem. I couldnt in glasto, prolly picked wrong loo or wrong time, dunno but point being I couldn't do it and used other toilets. I didn't hurt or offend anyone so quit it with the 'how offensive for the toilet creators' shit yeh?

I can understand it somewhat, not from the POV of a person who is non-white, but I know how it feels to be bullied and intimidated, it's a hideous feeling and the people who do this to others are heinous, nasty, evil cnuts :rolleyes: BNP supporters and their ilk are the most disgusting specimens of humankind, they are the ones who should be put on a boat and sunk in the middle of the sea :lol: To sit there openly and blatantly flaunting their antisocial and revolting views is certainly not in the Glasto spirit and, imo, anyone being openly racist SHOULD be banned from the festival. Glastonbury pride themselves on inclusion and go to great lengths to accommodate those who would find it difficult to come along, people of non-British descent should be no exception.

It is worrying that you risked your health by not going for 3 days, you can end up with some pretty nasty infections which can be serious, if not life threatening. I know a few people have come across a bit harsh but it's through concern, nobody wants you to make yourself ill, the tips I and a few others mentioned earlier in the thread were how we make the toilets a bit easier to cope with. There's no denying that they can be a bit grim, but not bad enough that you should decide not to use them at all.

f**k sake, get off your high horse people. I'm a brummie myself and have used the public loos on many an occasion and was able to do my business no problem. I couldnt in glasto, prolly picked wrong loo or wrong time, dunno but point being I couldn't do it and used other toilets. I didn't hurt or offend anyone so quit it with the 'how offensive for the toilet creators' shit yeh?
Edited by pie_and_a_pint

Not sure if any of you remember but I joined efests a few months ago when I was debating whether to go to Glastonbury after my friend who was meant to be going with me was made redundant from her job and decided to cancel her ticket to save money. As a result I came extremely close to cancelling my ticket but efesters were so enthusiastic about the wonder that is Glastonbury that I decided to go it alone. This was going to be my first experience of going to a festival/camping and as I don't drink/do drugs I was unsure about how things would work out but I was determined to get a backbone and scratch off Glasto on my things to do before I die this year.

So I set off on Friday hoping to get to the farm in time for the world cup match and various meets. Unfortunately the 2 hour journey took 14 hours and it was midnight before I was ready to set up camp. I felt so overwhelmed walking into the ground, not having a clue where to go or who to approach for help. I had planned to camp at but as it was dark I decided to just find a spot for the night and move to CT Thurs morning, when I'd be able to see more clearly! I had a pretty shitty night, knackered from the driving, migraine from he'll and couldn't find my ear plugs so didn't really get any sleep.

The next morning i got up early and made my way to the loo, only i started gagging at the stench every time I went near a portaloo or longdrop. Thanfully I'm a bit of a camel and have the strongest of bladders so thought I'd keep my legs crossed until I'd set up my tent at . I made my way to the pennards and was walking around in the blazing sun for a couple of hours but couldn't find the camp so just settled in the first bit of space I could find. I said hello to my neighbours, who just grunted in response. I then went to to get some lunch and made my way back to my tent, only I couldn't find my tent anywhere (I have the WORST sense of direction and usually depend on friends fir this kinda stuff :rolleyes: ). After FOUR hours of walking around in the blazing sun and having shed a tear or two out of pure frustration cum exhaustion I managed to find it (I swear I'd walked past that same spot 20 odd times and it hadn't been there, God must have pitied me and moved it to a more visable spot). Exhausted and upset I decided to call it a day. I unpacked my bag, found my earplugs (divine intervention again), popped them in and went to sleep. I felt so alone and miserable that night, listening to everyone having a fab time but feeling unable to join in. I nodded off to sleep and was woken up to people toasting and cheering michael jacksons death. As a massive MJ fan this really upset me. Everyone I'd met at that festival had been so so different to what I'd imagined and heard - people weren't friendly, quite the opposite! I decided at that point I'd go home the next day.

Woke up Friday, tried to go to the loo again, still gagged (hadn't been able to wee since wed afternoon and was beyond desperate). I got chatting to someone about my prob with the loo and she told me about the flushing loos - divine intervention number three). On my way there I fell over in the mud and decided enough was enough, I'd pack up and go home.

But then things changed. On my way back from the loos the sun came

out of nowhere and I heard Bjorn Again. Can't believe bjorn again saved the festival for me (can't believe I'm even admitting to seeing them LOL). But seriously I still can't put my finger on what happened but this be changed drastically. I saw band after band, telling myself I'd go home after the set, then I'd start watching something/someone else. Next thing I know neil young has finished his set and I've had an amazing day. I made my way back to my tent, smiling ear to ear. Said hello to my neighbours again and asked them if they'd had a nice day, to which they grunted again. Moody shits.

The next two days just went by in a blur. I had such an amazing time, just taking in the madness of it all. I didnt really get into a proper convo with anyone which is a shame cuz Im generally a really friendly person and love meeting new people, but maybe I was just giving off unfriendly vibes while I was there LOL. I walked and walked and walked the whole time i was there and yet there's so much of the festival I didn't get to see. There were so many distractions, so much to do and see I could have easily spent another week there and still not seen it all.

Although id really enjoyed my time there i had no plans to return however driving home on the Sunday night I experienced a great sense of sadness that it was all over. By the Monday I was making plans fir next year. I really don't know what it is that's drawing me back, especially as I had such a miserable start but I keep getting excited every time I think about it.

Next year I'll most likely go alone again as I still can't convince my friends and family to acompany me. I'll camp closer to the flushing loos next time (the 25 min walk from my tent was a right pain this year) and prob won't go until the Friday (Wed and Thurs were awful, and I mostly relate this to being alone).

Anyway just wanted to share my experiences and thank those of you that convinced me to go - you're a jolly lovely lot, if only I'd met some of you on my travels!

Edited by markeee

We too are glad you had a fab time in the end. 2007 was our 1st camping experience and we too found it over whelming!! so god knows how you felt alone. We lost our tent for about an hour and it rained all wk'end. Took a comfort bottle for tent pee's which worked ok till sunday morning!! (2man tent,mud,multi tool and lilo trying to pee and slipped) Burst bed and covered in pee!!

We went back 2008 and 2009 and will continue,we'v met a group from Hull and hook up with them at times over the 5 days. Most people we have camped around do keep them selves to them selves and have even had taped barriers around their camp!! (to which we just cut). We love Glasto for all the good bad and ugly it is.

Oddly one of the things I like about Glastonbury is the crappy (hmmmm) toilets, having to fetch water, not being able to clean myself properly (without queueing for ages - so I don't - I make do with wet wipes), not being able to style my hair so that I don't have a stupid fringe that curls up at the edges, and, getting on with it even if i am soaked through, covered in mud, so tired my feet are throbbing like a Tom & Jerry cartoon.

It's not just that it makes me realise how these are still better conditions than some people live their whole lives in (even putting aside the 24 hour entertainment!)

It's having to let go of superficial things that matter to me most of the time that makes it such a complete break. These are the things that add up to make me let go of the "me" that I have to be for the rest of the year bacause of my job or just the way I allow myself to be drawn into little cages of my own making - fashion, houses, bills etc etc.

It's not the bands that get me out of my cage, I can do that all year at my local Carling Academy - it's having to deal with the crappy bits that really makes the break.

Oddly one of the things I like about Glastonbury is the crappy (hmmmm) toilets, having to fetch water, not being able to clean myself properly (without queueing for ages - so I don't - I make do with wet wipes), not being able to style my hair so that I don't have a stupid fringe that curls up at the edges, and, getting on with it even if i am soaked through, covered in mud, so tired my feet are throbbing like a Tom & Jerry cartoon.

It's not just that it makes me realise how these are still better conditions than some people live their whole lives in (even putting aside the 24 hour entertainment!)

It's having to let go of superficial things that matter to me most of the time that makes it such a complete break. These are the things that add up to make me let go of the "me" that I have to be for the rest of the year bacause of my job or just the way I allow myself to be drawn into little cages of my own making - fashion, houses, bills etc etc.

It's not the bands that get me out of my cage, I can do that all year at my local Carling Academy - it's having to deal with the crappy bits that really makes the break.