happy ending story from Glastonbury

Guest tonyblair

There was a kid (well, early 20's) in our group, a friend of my sister's son who, for whatever reason had a wad of £500 on him, not even in a wallett, just loose. We didn't know about this until after we'd put up all our tents, and he asked us if we'd seen a wad of £500, 'cause he'd lost it!. After looking quite hard, him almost in tears, and the rest of us asking why he had such a large amount of money that he didn't take care of (which didn't help a lot), my sister sugessted that he should ask if it had been handed in. The kids just looked a bit confused, and asked '"why?". She said if she found it, she would have handed it in.. which they thought that was just weird.

So, he eventually did ask, and guess what, it had been handed in.... he was just gob-smacked, and more than a little humbled. He was told who'd handed it in (a group of 4 guys), and gave them £100 to share between them. After all, he'd pretty much written it off by then, so after giving them their £100, he was in effect £400 up. The best thing was how he realised that in future, this would be the right thing to do. It's a bit sad that he probably wouldn't have considered doing this before, but at least something had happened to make him realise this...

say you lost some money then went to lost and found to see if it was handed in, how would you prove it was your money

i mean, whats to stop people trying their luck and going round asking if say 200 quid has been handed - could get lucky, just wondered:)

basing it on the fact that people do steal, im sure some people would try it on and say they've lost stuff that they havent

say you lost some money then went to lost and found to see if it was handed in, how would you prove it was your money

i mean, whats to stop people trying their luck and going round asking if say 200 quid has been handed - could get lucky, just wondered:)

basing it on the fact that people do steal, im sure some people would try it on and say they've lost stuff that they havent

Edited by mandypants

I have thought about this, and I reckon I'd have kept it if I'd found it.

My rationale would have been that anyone that could afford to take £500 to glastonbury and not take care of it can probably afford to lose it.

I'm going to hell!

Edited by denwyn

Up until I had read this I definitely would have kept it, well either that or just left it on the floor.

Why?

Because it never crossed my mind that loose money could be handed in at lost property. It just seems to be such a ridiculous thing, how do you prove loose money is yours? Unless it was in some kind of money bag or something or if the amount was something very specific or you knew exactly where you dropped it, then there would be no way of identifying it as yours.

In future now I realise that obviously loose money at lost property can get returned, and will (hopefully I wouldn't give in to temptation!) definitely hand it in if a similar situation arises.

i found £80 last year and didn't hand it in, but if it had been in a wallet or something i definitely would have. but i did share the love and make sure it was all spent on drinks and stuff for my friends before i left the festival.

I'd like to think that if i found £500 just lying there on the ground i'd hand it in, but i'm not totally sure i would..