Pennards Hill of Doom.

Guest MissB

This year was my eleventh Glasto and every year I have camped at Pennards Hill. Next year I won't. The sheer amount of people by 11am on Weds was unbelievable and what used to be the cool happy area near the stone circle has become the 'party full of totally tw@ts' area. My neighbours that just a few years ago would have had a laugh and a joke with us, spent the first day shouting at girls on the path to turn around and if they were 'ugly' told them to keep walking, and when an unlucky girl asked if they could help her getting to the stone circle they replied "maybe if you weren't such a minger". On the Friday night they preceded to ask my friends and I why we were playing drums and guitars when they had bought a radio and told us we should stop because they couldn't hear it.

f**king idiots...

All this is before I have even started on my tent being pissed on and the BNP camp down the hill from us.

I loved Glasto this year but Pennards has been ruined and next year I will retreat to an area of the festival where people treat each other with respect and in the true spirit of Glastonbury.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This year was my eleventh Glasto and every year I have camped at Pennards Hill. Next year I won't. The sheer amount of people by 11am on Weds was unbelievable and what used to be the cool happy area near the stone circle has become the 'party full of totally tw@ts' area. My neighbours that just a few years ago would have had a laugh and a joke with us, spent the first day shouting at girls on the path to turn around and if they were 'ugly' told them to keep walking, and when an unlucky girl asked if they could help her getting to the stone circle they replied "maybe if you weren't such a minger". On the Friday night they preceded to ask my friends and I why we were playing drums and guitars when they had bought a radio and told us we should stop because they couldn't hear it.

f**king idiots...

All this is before I have even started on my tent being pissed on and the BNP camp down the hill from us.

I loved Glasto this year but Pennards has been ruined and next year I will retreat to an area of the festival where people treat each other with respect and in the true spirit of Glastonbury.

BNP area? Hey?

But point taken on Pennants. It was more relaxed and chilled in the past. I guess as the site has grown some of the more outlying fields have taken on that mantle.

Edited by sifimaster

Goodness me.

This year was my first Glastonbury, I got there quite early and camped over in Dairy. The whole camp seemed rather nice to say the least, except for one case of a fella being tied up and thrown in the ditch. Fortunately I slept through that but my campmates were woken up by it (at three in the morning) and they were shattered the next day. It went on for ages, the people wouldn't let anyone help him out either and he was in there for quite a while.

f**king idiots...

BNP camp?

Anyway, this was my first year. My friends all wanted to stay in Pennards, but I was a bit concerned as I'd heard it was pretty lively, but I prefer something calmer. However, in the end I thought it was great. Surrounded by perfectly nice people, good atmosphere and when I wanted to sleep I had no problems. Didn't see or hear of any crime either. All in all, couldn't have asked for more.

f**king idiots...

I'm really intruiged by this "BNP Camp"

Are we sure it wasn't just a group of Skinheads? With The Specials and Madness there were quite a lot of us rocking our Harringtons and DMs. Remember boots and braces don't make a racist!

If there was a "BNP Camp" surely people would have sorted them out Antifa style!

i was camped there and had a great time! was camped towards the bottom, on the left of the park if you're looking up at it.

all my neighbours were really friendly and i had no problems on a night time partying and chatting with other people as my mate kept wanting to go to bed strasight after the bands. everyone was really welcoming.

ear plugs were a must, but i think most people who camped there weren't there for sleep!

Park Home was brilliant, I had aimed for Pennards but it was soooo busy even wednesday morning. I'm so glad I did, nice and chilled with some nice neighbours and only a short walk to the park and the toilets. Same spot next year for me.... although I would have liked to have been closer to Shangri-La! =)

I think that to a certain extent it's just the luck of the draw. I was camped in Park Home last year and found myself next to a complete bunch of loud mouthed knobs. They managed to space out their tents in such a way to take up as much space as possible with a large centre area, and abused anyone who even innocently walked into it. Top that off with playing music and shouting until 5am and then abusing people who were just talking normally in their tents at 9 or 10, and it wasn't a great experience to be near them.

You can wind up next to anti-social people almost anywhere. I was in Dairy Ground this year and thankfully had great neighbours, but wouldn't have been too surprised if I hadn't.

Interesting feedback on this post... the BNP guys were most certainly not just skinheads sadly, I love you guys! Their 'site' was cordoned off with England flags and a big central England flag took pride of place, not really my thing but I was prepared to just accept they might be very proud of their heritage until I saw one of them drunkenly waving a mini BNP flag and voicing some fairly disturbing views... but then again considering this country has allowed them seats in this year's elections perhaps this is the future? Scary.

I walked past their camp on the last day and the flags were all trampled and the litter left was horrific.. very sad.

Anyway, I know that neighbours are luck of the draw at Glasto but I just felt the overall atmosphere of Pennards this year was a bit wrong and not what I used to love about it. I adored The Park this year and next year I think I might go for Park Home, it was damn near empty weds am this year and a wander through The Park to my tent doesn't seem to much of a chore ;-)

Interesting feedback on this post... the BNP guys were most certainly not just skinheads sadly, I love you guys! Their 'site' was cordoned off with England flags and a big central England flag took pride of place, not really my thing but I was prepared to just accept they might be very proud of their heritage until I saw one of them drunkenly waving a mini BNP flag and voicing some fairly disturbing views... but then again considering this country has allowed them seats in this year's elections perhaps this is the future? Scary.

I walked past their camp on the last day and the flags were all trampled and the litter left was horrific.. very sad.

Anyway, I know that neighbours are luck of the draw at Glasto but I just felt the overall atmosphere of Pennards this year was a bit wrong and not what I used to love about it. I adored The Park this year and next year I think I might go for Park Home, it was damn near empty weds am this year and a wander through The Park to my tent doesn't seem to much of a chore ;-)

We wanted to camp in Pennards but ended up in Dairy Ground, We got a reasonable spot and thought we had decent neighbours until we woke up on friday morning to find a tent right up against the side door and one right up to the front porch, getting in and out was an absolute nightmare. I wouldn't have minded the closeness to much but both tents belonged to a group who had a massive sitting area.

Still we had an amazing weekend and didn't spend much time in the tents so its all good

The BNP have long been operating in and around colleges and universities... I wonder if they see Glasto / Festivals as another source for recruitment... Considering the mainly majority white attendance...

Scary times... I doubt they would get much joy or understanding at Glasto but Leeds/Reading, V etc may well be a different story....

Edited by Alcatraz

The BNP have long been operating in and around colleges and universities... I wonder if they see Glasto / Festivals as another source for recruitment... Considering the mainly majority white attendance...

Scary times... I doubt they would get much joy or understanding at Glasto but Leeds/Reading, V etc may well be a different story....