Having a smoke

Guest Mikee B

Something to bear in mind, when deciding whether to go the police route or not, is that if you are arrested, you become ineligible for the US Visa waiver scheme. Which means you have to go for a (potentially brief) interview at the American Embassy before visiting the US.

Being arrested (part of the process of getting a caution as I understand it) is all that's needed to become ineligible. No charge or any further action is needed to

step over that line.

It's an especially harsh rule, and doesn't mean you won't get a Visa, but worth considering if you may ever want to visit.

Edited by paulo999

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something to bear in mind, when deciding whether to go the police route or not, is that if you are arrested, you become ineligible for the US Visa waiver scheme. Which means you have to go for a (potentially brief) interview at the American Embassy before visiting the US.

Being arrested (part of the process of getting a caution as I understand it) is all that's needed to become ineligible. No charge or any further action is needed to

step over that line.

It's an especially harsh rule, and doesn't mean you won't get a Visa, but worth considering if you may ever want to visit.

while that might be how the US visa system is meant to work, I don't think it's an issue if given a caution. I believe it's the case that cautions are only held on a police force's own systems and not put onto any central system, meaning that the USA has no way to knowing of any caution.

However, I guess that's it's a risk trying that - after all, it wouldn't be great to fly all the way to the USA and then not be allowed in and have to return home.

But each time I've gone to the USA (not for around ten years now) I've simply ticked the "no convictions" box on the self-certify visas they used to work by, and got in without any problems.

Well, that is apart from the problem that it's the USA. :D

Edited by eFestivals

step over that line.

I'm gonna start this on a positive because this year has been the best Glasto in the 8 years I've been going, soooo many good bands, Shangri - la, Arcadia, and Trash city just blew me away!!!!

However we did encounter problems when haveing a bit of a toke on more than one occasion, I've been doing this sort of thing since first coming in 98 with no problem what so ever. basically to cut a long story short we were out at our tent near the Jazz stage chilling before Q-tip on friday when one of the blue jacketed security came towards us, we hid what we had away but he told us he could smell it a mile off and not to bother hiding it. He demanded everything we had or he'd call more security and the police. then gave us a lecture on how he hates it, hates the mell hates people that do it. so we hand over what i have and he goes away telling us if he catches u s again etc etc........

2 days later just get back after The Prodigy its the last day we've just got back from one of the sets of the weekend, thinking no ones gonna bother us on the last day I blaze another and finish it within a few seconds who turns up but our friend in security, this time hes going mad threatening to get the police to tear the tent appart I hand over what little I have left (2 j's worth) he say this is not all of it and again starts threatening with calling police and more security. At this point my mate has gone off for a slash. At this point I dont know if he has anything stashed in the tent or not I go through his bags and find nothing. luckily just before He calls the police my mate comes back He is forced to hand over everything he has. luckily security goes away at this point but he watched us all evening.

Did any one else experience any killjoy c**nts like this, this year ? I've personally never had any problem with them before.

One last thing where was he when my mates tent got robbed eh??? looking for people sat enjoying themselves probably

(appologies for poor spelling etc..... )

Last year we saw some very bolshy Blue Jackets up at the Park on the Friday busting a group of guys. Took his entire stash which looked like best part of an oz. We were shouting to the lads to not give it to them and trying to embarrass the sec guards in the process but they gave it up and the security wondered off looking smug and pleased with themselves. Heard a few other people were likewise harangued as well. Ultimately this sounds so much like them running a protection racket (hand it over or we'll do something you won't like).

As has been stated before. They have no rights over and above any other citizen or subject regardless of whatever their bosses or GFL or Security state. If they start hassling you get someone to start recording it on their phone/camera and see what happens?

IANAL but here's an interesting article on some of the legalities surround stewarding/security:

http://www.safeconcerts.com/festivals/surv...de-security.asp

we were busted at about 11am on the Monday morning.

coppers came over and claimed they had received a report that one of our tents contained stolen goods... "documents" possibly a stolen passport.

searched all our tents - obviously no stolen passport in sight but found a few "ilegal substances" and arrested 3 of our friends.

took them away and didn't return bring them back on site till about 4:30pm.

a pretty awful end to the weekend!

coppers came over and claimed they had received a report that one of our tents contained stolen goods... "documents" possibly a stolen passport.

searched all our tents - obviously no stolen passport in sight but found a few "ilegal substances" and arrested 3 of our friends.