Pushing to the front

Guest Messy

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've no problem with it at all. i've never had to push to the front at a gig as i don't particularly wish to be that close anyway, but i've been at many gigs where people have pushed past me. as long as they don't actually shove you then that's fine - sometimes they even say excuse me! when they do i'm only happy to let them past.

is that one person really going to affect your view that much? 99% of the time it won't affect your view or your position what so ever. we're all there to enjoy the music, support the band and have a great time, so if someone is that desperate to be closer than you then let them, and say hi - they are humans too :blink:

My general view is if there is a clear gap, I will take it. If the people (now behind me) get annoyed then tough tities, they had plenty of time to take the same gap. I have found over the years that simply saying ‘excuse me’ goes a hell of a long way, just try to show a little bit of decorum. To be honest I just tend to wait till the band starts. When people are jumping around it's so much easier to squeeze forward among the chaos (this is entirely dependant on the band of course).

I'm quite deaf and very short, and find I can see and hear much better if I stay back a bit. If someone very tall comes to stand right in front I'll normally tap them on the shoulder and ask them to move over... they normally do if they're asked nicely!

I don't mind people going past, its when tall men (or women!) do that "excuse me" and then stand right in front of me - I'm only 5"2! My method is to tap them on the shoulder and when they turn round say "Are you going to stay there?" with this > :blink: expression on my face! It works well and no fights ensue

I really don't see the problem with people trying to get to the front if they want. Good luck to them is what i say. As for being physical in barging past, then yeah i have a problem with it, but if they ask to get past then i don't have a problem with it. Its a festival man, chill out, its the way it is. If you can't handle the heat get out the kitchen

I don't mind people going past, its when tall men (or women!) do that "excuse me" and then stand right in front of me - I'm only 5"2! My method is to tap them on the shoulder and when they turn round say "Are you going to stay there?" with this > :blink: expression on my face! It works well and no fights ensue

I like to do a big stinky shit in my pants 1st thing in the morning so nobody comes anywhere near me, this not only helps to stop people barging past me, but means i can stroll to the front of any stage without any trouble.

I like to call this the "prince of thieves" defence, as kevin costner invented the strategy in his 1991 smash hit film.

Edited by sdaveak47

2bh if a band i like are on i will try and get to the front, because i enjoy it way more there, the atmosphere is better and more people are dancing.

i will be considerate about it and say 'excuse me' and if it gets really crowded and squashed and it's obvious i'm not going to get any further without shoving then i will stop.

but i'm not just gonna walk to a stage and stand at the back cos i wasn't there first! :blink:

half the people there are usually not that bothered about the band and stand stock still anyway!

i've no problem with it at all. i've never had to push to the front at a gig as i don't particularly wish to be that close anyway, but i've been at many gigs where people have pushed past me. as long as they don't actually shove you then that's fine - sometimes they even say excuse me! when they do i'm only happy to let them past.

is that one person really going to affect your view that much? 99% of the time it won't affect your view or your position what so ever. we're all there to enjoy the music, support the band and have a great time, so if someone is that desperate to be closer than you then let them, and say hi - they are humans too :blink:

Front of stage at the larger stages at glasto is unlike other large gigs in my experience in that everyone is REALLY polite. Spent the whole of sat evening against the barrier with some US marines we randomly met and just had the best time, everyone around us was friendly and we had a nice beer/smoke exchange running all night.

Compare that to stadia/other festivals...I can't imagine it being too polite down the front at reading for a headliner :blink:

Front of stage at the larger stages at glasto is unlike other large gigs in my experience in that everyone is REALLY polite. Spent the whole of sat evening against the barrier with some US marines we randomly met and just had the best time, everyone around us was friendly and we had a nice beer/smoke exchange running all night.

Compare that to stadia/other festivals...I can't imagine it being too polite down the front at reading for a headliner :blink:

im 6'4".... it's not my fault...i cant help being tall....blame my parents. i want to watch the gig just the same as short people and i have to stand somewhere. when your at a festival it's not always practical to get to a certain stage an hour early to watch a band, you may have trudged your way from watching a band on the avalon to the pyramid and not have had the time. i am always polite when i try and make my way to the front...sometimes even having conversations and making 5 minutes friends on the way. people barging through does piss me off though, there is no need for it... i find as long as you're polite most people are fine.

all these short people who complain about tall peeps at gigs.... do you complain when your on a plane?? or a sit down gig?... when you can sit there swinging your legs and we are wedged in so tight i have bruises on my legs from the arms of the seats?... swings and roundabouts... :O

Agree Ed209 - same here.

I remember being at the front of a gig years ago and spent virtually the whole gig stooped so not to block the view of anyone behind. Had a bad back for weeks afterwards and thought never again.

I remember a gig at Glasto04 when I spent half a gig turning around to make sure the smallish woman behind me could see.

Am a little over conscientious about my height sometimes but more recently have the attitude that I need to stand somewhere and I should not spoil my own enjoyment by constantly checking if everyone else is ok.

Being 6ft 3 myself i do try to not get in the way of people who are somewhat shorter than i am.

But what pisses me off is when i've been waiting for a good few hours and then someone comes in to the gig 10 minutes before the main band comes on, barges down the front and then demand i move so they can see.