Glasto Baggage

Guest serginhowardinho

http://www.millets.co.uk/rucksacks/rucksac...uct/100299.html

Hi all,

Ahead of trips to Glasto, T in the Park, Lovebox, Leeds fest and Thailand (get me!) i'm looking to purchase a massive bag which will fit millions of tons of stuff in it. Ideally i want something like this Berghaus bad boy which is wheeled, comfortable and zips open along its length rather than opening at the top.

Unfortunately £110 is a little bit pricey (although i'm prepared to pay it if i absolutely have to). Any ideas where i might get this bag cheaper? Or something similar at a more reasonable price?

Cheers in advance...

At one point i was going to purchase one of these bags, but in my opinion the cons outweigh the pros.

pros

The bag does pack more like a suitcase which is great once you arrive but if i understand you can now get normal rucksacks which open to provide access

it has a zip away harness but you can buy flight bags

zip on/off day bag saves carrying two bags

cons

weight the bag shown is 2kg heavier than similar priced berghaus bags fine if you are going to wheeling it around often but more often than not you will be carrying it. Also with baggage weight restrictions an extra 2kg of stuff to bring with or take home is good.

lacks some of the attachment points of a normal hiking bag.

personally I just didn't like the feel of the bag overall

something like the berghaus verden which if the description is correct has a front entry zip may be worth a look at for alternatives

http://www.millets.co.uk/rucksacks/rucksac...uct/100299.html

Hi all,

Ahead of trips to Glasto, T in the Park, Lovebox, Leeds fest and Thailand (get me!) i'm looking to purchase a massive bag which will fit millions of tons of stuff in it. Ideally i want something like this Berghaus bad boy which is wheeled, comfortable and zips open along its length rather than opening at the top.

Unfortunately £110 is a little bit pricey (although i'm prepared to pay it if i absolutely have to). Any ideas where i might get this bag cheaper? Or something similar at a more reasonable price?

Cheers in advance...

Cheers for the advice so far folks.

I hadn't considered the extra 2kg of that bag. I guess the wheel issue means it it would be more suitable for Thailand, but less so for festivals. Looks like there's no bag which is ideal for both, so i'm gonna have to make a choice (although it will be a more informed one now).

Cheers all.

I took that exact bag on my honeymoon earlier this year... and a right bloody pain in the arse it was too. The mechanism makes it too heavy to carry, whilst the wheels are too small, and the handle too short... unless you're under 5ft.... I'm 5'6". The rucksack turns over even on the smooth floor of an airport. You'll be buggered on the Glasters terrain.

Ive got a fairly similar bag but without the wheels, so it's a bit lighter. Its really comfy, so you can fill it up and when you wear it you can walk fairly normally. I got it a couple of years ago, and it's gone countless festivals and trips with me and it's in great condition. (i even came back to the tent once to find a kid sleeping IN it outside the tent)

Just make sure you get good quality

For transporting stuff over uneven ground - festivals, hiking, backpacking - it's best to support most of the weight on your hips. Any rucksack you're thinking of buying, try it on, and see that it has a good waist strap that fits you.

The shoulder straps shouldn't push down on your shoulders very much - they're really there to stop the pack tilting backwards.

If you get this right, believe me it's easier to carry stuff like this than it is to push a trolley. With a heavy backpack, the hardest part is getting it on. Walking with it isn't so bad.

i agree these bags are really good i wouldnt use another type, ive had mine for a few years now its been all over the place with me, well worth investing in, mine had a waist strap and it means that im not carrying all the weight on my sholders so id go with one tht has a strap like that its well worth it.

I cant remember what the make or name of this type of bag I am thinking of is but there's a very nifty red, plasticcy, large litreage red holdall thang that is designed to be worn as a rucksack but its cylindrical. I think Paul TM has bought one so you could try him to find out what I am banging on about. It would certainly serve the purpose you are seeking. Sorry for the vagueness...have tried many variations of phrases on google/ebay to no avail! :D

I bought an ex army rucksack on Ebay - perfect. Cost me 30 quid. It will last a life time. Stands up to being thrown about, glastonbury mud and rain, looks good, and was perfect when I back packed around Vietnam. Cant go wrong.

Oh and its huge. In fact it has straps on the side which makes it smaller if you want because it is so big when open fully.

Edited by mandb

that is the exact one I took travelling with me last year - and I will be taking it to Glasto with me too.

Great and very secure, well as secure as a rucksack can be - no hassles with bits falling off or zips breaking or straps dfalling off (believe me my friandsdid!). If you are using ot to go travelling - remember your life is in that bag so certainly not worth skimping on if you can help it - think I paid about £90 for mine in an Army surplus shop

I felt a bit daft buying one with wheels - now I know they will be useless for Glasto - but for travelling they are a godsend - and still comfy to carry on your back too!