The Glastonbury Stages Hurt/Heal Game

Guest pezzypops

• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its become competitive. i think we should stop it here and say that if we've learned a lesson its that there is no best part of glastonbury. it is different things to different people and it is the way that all the good things work together that make it such a unique experience. the stages shouldn't be judged on their own, but by what they stand for.

<_<

What's so good about the Park?

Primarily, it's the lineup. A diverse group of artists that are modern, exciting and innovative - the music that, in a perfect world, the "kids" would be listening too today. If it wasn't for the Park stage, frankly, I would happily admit that the Glastonbury lineup isn't that great anymore. But here's a quick list of Park highlights: Battles, Animal Collective (this year), John Cale, Shlomo & The Vocal Orchestra, Africa Express, all hugely interesting, exciting acts that you don't get at your run-of-the-mill festival.

Plus, it has loads of guest sets - last year, Franz Ferdinand and Last Shadow Puppets - and guests in other peoples sets - see The Specials in Africa Express, and numerous guests for Schlomo & The Vocal Orchestra.

Other factors?

Well, I really like the slope leading to the stage (GlastoFAQ calls it a "natural ampitheatre"!) I have a lot of small friends and they can always see at the Park stage because of the slope, whereas at most venues they can't see much at all. Also, the slope means that if you go down to the bottom you get a proper pit - call it a mosh pit, a rave pit, a general going mental pit (depending on the act) - which is just damn fun to be a part of.

The sound quality of the stage is good as well - and again, because of the slope, it has an intimacy that other stages do not.

I've not even described the other features of the area yet - the many surprises hidden away about the place (the Rabbit Hole! <_<), the tower from which you can overlook the whole of glastonbury, and the expansive field where I spent hours chilling out last year, chucking around a frisbee. And there's another stage, even, if you're looking for more music.

Frankly, apart from the Stone Circle, there's nowhere I'd rather be.

Edited by Sweep

I hated the park in 2007 because of the mud and didn't even bother with it last year. The glade however has some of my best memories attached. Peewee Ellis, Squarepusher, Eat Static all played blinders in the last couple. Save the Glade!!

I hated the park in 2007 because of the mud and didn't even bother with it last year. The glade however has some of my best memories attached. Peewee Ellis, Squarepusher, Eat Static all played blinders in the last couple. Save the Glade!!

What's so good about the Park?

Primarily, it's the lineup. A diverse group of artists that are modern, exciting and innovative - the music that, in a perfect world, the "kids" would be listening too today. If it wasn't for the Park stage, frankly, I would happily admit that the Glastonbury lineup isn't that great anymore. But here's a quick list of Park highlights: Battles, Animal Collective (this year), John Cale, Shlomo & The Vocal Orchestra, Africa Express, all hugely interesting, exciting acts that you don't get at your run-of-the-mill festival.

Obviously it's down to personal taste. But it's hard to deny that these are acts you rarely see at British Festivals. My perfect idea of a small festival is basically the Park stage! But each to their own :(

Er, that's hardly a reason to dislike secret slots. And, if you want to know, there are plenty of ways to find out, I found out about all the secret slots last year without even trying anyway. If you want to find out, you can.

D'ya know, I've just fired up GlastoEarth and worked out which one Glade is!!! :( That which I thought was Avalon.. is Glade!! Quite a cute stage, kind of tucked away in the trees, seemed to be some good music there last year, though I never stayed at it for that long. So what the hell is Avalon in that case...?!!! :(